easiest photo sharing site

Eastridge

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 18:28
Hi,

At her request, we have just set elderly Mother in Law up with a PC and want to be able to share a few photos with her - she's 200 miles away and we don't get to see her in person as often as we 'should'.

She is very very new to computing ( this is called a mouse etc.) and we need to encourage her to use it to build confidence but not give her anything too complex to do in these early stages.

Also she is using a mobile '3' dongle with 12GB / 12 month usage not broadband so download speeds and capacities are a restrictive factor.

Flckr seems to be most peoples 'default' photo sharing site, but are there any even simpler for her to see a few photo's a month on? She won't care about quality like we do.

Any advice appreciated'
Sharon.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod

johnriley

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 18:32
Photobucket seems easier than Flikr and there's no quality issue involved really. A digital file is a digital file, wherever you store it.

The other real alternative is for her to post a picture a day on ePHOTOzine. That's free unless you want the e2 membership and it's both easy to upload to and easy to view for everyone.
Best regards, John

dougf8

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 18:38
picasa web albums might work

you should be able to set up your mum with a google account
you then share folders with her

you can upload pictures from your PC using picasa and share them with family

not sure how the resolutions will work with a dongle though but you can monitor the data usage.

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=8989

If you have BT Broadband you can use your BT digital vault and share pics with that too.

https://sh.digitalvault.bt.com/help/tutorials/index.html
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 29/06/2011 - 18:43

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 18:42
The idea is for her to see your photos, not for her to post her own?
With Photobucket you can set up an album that only she (and others you invite) can see. The quality is good - a lot of the photos posted here are on Photobucket after all.

Otherwise it is pretty easy to set up our own site - you may even have space free from your provider. You could use something like jalbum to make make mini albums for her to view and FTP them to you url. She the types in your URL and can view the photos.

If she wants to post her own then set her up a Photobucket account - it is really easy to use.

stub

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 18:43
If its only a few photos between two family members. Surely a direct enail would suffice. If you want to build up albums, try facebook. My parents are in their seventies, not particularly computer literate, but have really embraced the social betwork site. Though personally it would br Flickr for me...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 29/06/2011 - 18:46

dougf8

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 18:46
You could always print them and write a letter to go with them!
Lurking is shirking.!

Hardgravity

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 18:49
I use Picassa for my albums, Sample link, If you keep the file size down to 800x600 it's amazing how much you can upload.

You could also consider Dropbox,Link, it's good for sharing and has more uses than are at first obvious.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 29/06/2011 - 18:50

Galoot

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 19:31
Another option?

I bought my Mum & Dad a digital photo frame, as they weren't computer 'adept', so all they have to do is switch it on and the pictures appear.

What we do now when there is new pictures, is to swap the SD cards in the post.

I put the new images on a card, and send it off, they swap the card and send the old one back, job done !
link

Frogherder

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 20:13
We often send my wife's auntie (8 in Australia a CD packed with pictures, usually of our grandchildren. She then happily plays it on her DVD player whenever she wants and can take the CD to an "Aussie Boots" for any hardcopies she wants. We tried Photobucket as she has an old PC, but she will only use it for writing letters.

regards
Bernard

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 29/06/2011 - 20:47
Why not get her on Facebook. She may also be able to get in touch with old friends etc. Other than that, flickr's my favourite, and I prefer the way they process your shots into different sizes ( they seem to get a quick sharpen-up or maybe it's just my eyes.

Oh and 3 mobile internet is pretty good and about as fast as a regular internet connection usually.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

thoughton

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 09:42
I would generally prefer Flickr over Photobucket, largely for the lack of advertising.

Picasa web albums or (if you pay for it) MobileMe are both good for sharing albums with technophobe relatives. For Mac users this might change in a couple of months once iCloud is launched with the free option.

Facebook isn't bad either, since I use Facebook anyway it's the one I use to share photos with my folks. IQ isn't brilliant though, I think Facebook compresses jpegs a little more than 'real' photo sites.

I'd say that from the viewpoint of potential for confusing elderly relatives MobileMe or Flickr are less confusing due to the reduced amount of visual clutter on screen. Facebook's not very good from that point of view.

PS Pentaxophile Flickr definitely apply sharpening to each resized shot. It's a common complaint on the Flickr forums. My other bugbear with Flickr is that they although they leave exif intact on the original uploaded size, they don't carry it over to the resized versions.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

Gwyn

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 09:57
Can't say I've noticed adverts on Photobucket tbh.

I personally refuse to use Picasa. Part of the enormous and ever growing Google big brother empire.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 12:33
Gwyn wrote:

I personally refuse to use Picasa. Part of the enormous and ever growing Google big brother empire.

But it is free.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

geclinke

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 23:32
Gwyn wrote:

At least its not funding the jobsian new world order

Seriously though, Facebook might be a good option because of the enforced lower resolution meaning lower bandwidth.

Another alternative is a site like snapfish. Has similar benefits for lower bandwidth, but allows people to order paper prints of the images they like, posted to their home address at a reasonable price.
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50

Eastridge

Link Posted 01/07/2011 - 11:15
Thanks for the suggestions I will investigate.

We want to do it via a website ( rather than just attaching to an e-mail, sending SD cards etc.) so that she gets used to using websites. This gives her a reason to do so as photos from us is something she will see the point of.

The only one I will rule out is Facebook, for some reason I find that difficult to use myself so can't imagine instructing her on how to use it - Twitter I can cope with Facebook just seems counter-intuitive to me.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.