Dream Pentax Kit...
Posted 14/07/2012 - 21:31
Link
Offertonhatter wrote:
The Bride and Groom were very happy as it happens.
Still, I hate doing weddings.........
I did a wedding with only one Ds and the kit lens. The bride and groom were very happy with the results, but then they were my son and his bride . johnriley wrote:
You could shoot wedding photos on an *istDS with kit lens if you had to and provided you had two of them.
Spooky, were you at the wedding I shot many years ago with this exact kit? You could shoot wedding photos on an *istDS with kit lens if you had to and provided you had two of them.
The Bride and Groom were very happy as it happens.
Still, I hate doing weddings.........
No way I would do weddings professionally, no matter how big the windfall I got to by the gear. AS I suggested earlier I'd be of travelling with the money, and hanging on to the day job.
Posted 14/07/2012 - 23:29
Link
johnriley wrote:
You'll need two K-5s as it always needs a spare, just in case. Then three batteries for each, original Pentax ones as there's no room for error here.
I'm afraid cannot agree with that comment at all. Plenty of third party batteries have been shown to work just as well as batteries with a Pentax badge on. You'll need two K-5s as it always needs a spare, just in case. Then three batteries for each, original Pentax ones as there's no room for error here.
I agree with having two K-5s though. Not just as a spare but for shooting the event itself. I always take two K-5s on a shoot. I'd miss far too many shots while changing lenses otherwise.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 14/07/2012 - 23:30
Link
Gwyn wrote:
No way I would do weddings professionally, no matter how big the windfall I got to by the gear. AS I suggested earlier I'd be of travelling with the money, and hanging on to the day job.
I shot one wedding. For fun. There's no way I'd do it for money. I'd use the money to travel and take some cool shots with my current gear.
Offertonhatter wrote:
The Bride and Groom were very happy as it happens.
Still, I hate doing weddings.........
I did a wedding with only one Ds and the kit lens. The bride and groom were very happy with the results, but then they were my son and his bride . johnriley wrote:
You could shoot wedding photos on an *istDS with kit lens if you had to and provided you had two of them.
Spooky, were you at the wedding I shot many years ago with this exact kit? You could shoot wedding photos on an *istDS with kit lens if you had to and provided you had two of them.
The Bride and Groom were very happy as it happens.
Still, I hate doing weddings.........
No way I would do weddings professionally, no matter how big the windfall I got to by the gear. AS I suggested earlier I'd be of travelling with the money, and hanging on to the day job.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 15/07/2012 - 00:49
Link
fatspider wrote:
why three batteries for each? one genuine Pentax for each camera plus a joe blogs back up should easily get you 1000+ shots, and if you need to take that many you don't know what your doing
I don't know what I'm doin - I took 2800 shots at the recent music festival shoot I went to ( selection of pics in photos section of forum ). Two Joe bloggs batteries, one in each K-5. Came home and they still had three bars showing ( Yes I know that bars aren't linear
why three batteries for each? one genuine Pentax for each camera plus a joe blogs back up should easily get you 1000+ shots, and if you need to take that many you don't know what your doing
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 15/07/2012 - 00:54
Link
Belt and braces. If you have to change a battery you still have a third if needed. That will mean there's always a spare, just in case there's a fault or an error.
Batteries can fail like anything else, or mistakes in the charging routine could be made.
When we shoot weddings we do everything possible to ensure that there is no failure that cannot be recovered from. So far it's not been necessary, which is of course good.
Batteries can fail like anything else, or mistakes in the charging routine could be made.
When we shoot weddings we do everything possible to ensure that there is no failure that cannot be recovered from. So far it's not been necessary, which is of course good.
Best regards, John
Posted 15/07/2012 - 01:47
Link
johnriley wrote:
Belt and braces. If you have to change a battery you still have a third if needed. That will mean there's always a spare, just in case there's a fault or an error.
Batteries can fail like anything else, or mistakes in the charging routine could be made.
Even batteries with Pentax badges on Belt and braces. If you have to change a battery you still have a third if needed. That will mean there's always a spare, just in case there's a fault or an error.
Batteries can fail like anything else, or mistakes in the charging routine could be made.
Quote:
When we shoot weddings we do everything possible to ensure that there is no failure that cannot be recovered from. So far it's not been necessary, which is of course good.
How often do you guys shoot weddings?
When we shoot weddings we do everything possible to ensure that there is no failure that cannot be recovered from. So far it's not been necessary, which is of course good.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 15/07/2012 - 10:14
Link
I shot eighteen weddings last year with (I take more gear but this what was actually used):
K20d and grip + 4 Pentax batteries, 16-45mm DA, 50mm Pentax F f1.7, Opteka 85mm f1.4; *istDS with 4 batteries 18-55 DA as back up.
Samsung badged 360 flash with Stofen diffuser. 2 Bowens 500 w/s and 1 Bowens 200 w/s plus stands and so on.
Minolta light meter.
K20d and grip + 4 Pentax batteries, 16-45mm DA, 50mm Pentax F f1.7, Opteka 85mm f1.4; *istDS with 4 batteries 18-55 DA as back up.
Samsung badged 360 flash with Stofen diffuser. 2 Bowens 500 w/s and 1 Bowens 200 w/s plus stands and so on.
Minolta light meter.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 15/07/2012 - 12:37
Link
Mike-P wrote:
I'm not saying you can't do a wedding with a K-5, of course you can .. and very well but you need a professional company behind you that is ready to loan you a camera at the drop of a hat should yours go wrong the day before (as an example).
Same goes with any professional shoot, not just weddings.
Until Pentax have the same system (and range of equipment) in place as Canon and Nikon they unfortunately stand no chance of getting into the "real" professional markets in any great numbers.
Actually I have always thought this .. but right now you can get a K5 for US$800 so if going into weddings then there is no problem having 3 or even 4 K5s and still saving a lot left over any CaNikon FF camera. Redundancy in cameras now in place you get the lenses you need but have overlap so if one fails on you or is stolen, damaged etc. then you again have redundancy in lenses.I'm not saying you can't do a wedding with a K-5, of course you can .. and very well but you need a professional company behind you that is ready to loan you a camera at the drop of a hat should yours go wrong the day before (as an example).
Same goes with any professional shoot, not just weddings.
Until Pentax have the same system (and range of equipment) in place as Canon and Nikon they unfortunately stand no chance of getting into the "real" professional markets in any great numbers.
He isn't starting from scratch so for £10,000 I'm sure you could get there. FF isn't a imperative in either Studio (ask Benjikan who shoots Pentax for Vogue and Harper's Bazaar) or weddings (lots of Pentax wedding togs out there, and on here).
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 15/07/2012 - 12:44
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Ditto .... I have the two original batteries that came with my K5s and 4 no-names. No difference at all in performance and those 4 batteries cost me the same as ONE Pentax battery. I now have far more security than I would have had I just bought Pentax batteries.
johnriley wrote:
You'll need two K-5s as it always needs a spare, just in case. Then three batteries for each, original Pentax ones as there's no room for error here.
I'm afraid cannot agree with that comment at all. Plenty of third party batteries have been shown to work just as well as batteries with a Pentax badge on. You'll need two K-5s as it always needs a spare, just in case. Then three batteries for each, original Pentax ones as there's no room for error here.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 15/07/2012 - 15:43
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
If I had a 5k windfall and had to spend it on gear, my problem would be deciding between the Nikon D700 or Canon 5d ii. Would prefer Nikon really but like the idea of using M42 and K lenses on a FF Canon.
Some of your lenses may have a problem with the mirror in the 5Dii regardless of the adapter. I found that some would need surgery - put me right off.
If I had a 5k windfall and had to spend it on gear, my problem would be deciding between the Nikon D700 or Canon 5d ii. Would prefer Nikon really but like the idea of using M42 and K lenses on a FF Canon.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 15/07/2012 - 16:09
Link
Getting back to the point, very often there is an expectation that a wedding photographer needs lots of kit. This does not have to be so. What we need is backup and second backup, just in case.
What Ken does is eminently sensible and will suit his style. I no doubt have a different style. That's what people look for - a wedding photographer whose style suits and who they can afford. I know one wedding photographer who can charge up to £70,000 and his technique does not require masses of equipment either.
What Ken does is eminently sensible and will suit his style. I no doubt have a different style. That's what people look for - a wedding photographer whose style suits and who they can afford. I know one wedding photographer who can charge up to £70,000 and his technique does not require masses of equipment either.
Best regards, John
Posted 15/07/2012 - 17:24
Link
johnriley wrote:
The whole point is, if you have a camera that fails it won't fail on the morning of the wedding so you can get a replacement in one or two hours. It will fail on the wedding and there will be no excuses for not having a backup.
You could shoot wedding photos on an *istDS with kit lens if you had to and provided you had two of them.
There's a misconception that to be a professional you must have particular kit, whereas it would be much better to simply know what you were doing and have the ability to use whatever is at hand. Onviously there is some very specialised stuff, but weddings don't fall into that category.
as a wedding shooter who has shot weddings with a ds2 I can second your reasoning...The whole point is, if you have a camera that fails it won't fail on the morning of the wedding so you can get a replacement in one or two hours. It will fail on the wedding and there will be no excuses for not having a backup.
You could shoot wedding photos on an *istDS with kit lens if you had to and provided you had two of them.
There's a misconception that to be a professional you must have particular kit, whereas it would be much better to simply know what you were doing and have the ability to use whatever is at hand. Onviously there is some very specialised stuff, but weddings don't fall into that category.
people hire a pro, they expect TWO things:
1) Photos, not excuses....
2)better photos than they could do themselves....
as a pro you need back-up gear... and you need to be able to go into places and get the shots where the other guy comes back with excuses...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1172 posts
17 years
UK
You could shoot wedding photos on an *istDS with kit lens if you had to and provided you had two of them.
The Bride and Groom were very happy as it happens.
Still, I hate doing weddings.........