Dr. Asahi's Name
Posted 10/11/2005 - 11:32
Link
I don't recall any Japanese subscribers to this forum, but I personally say:
A as in LASS
sa as in MA and PA
hi as in Pea
With the emphasis on the SA.
G
A as in LASS
sa as in MA and PA
hi as in Pea
With the emphasis on the SA.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 10/11/2005 - 11:54
Link
I won - nya - nya - nya nya nya! (This only for the benifit of my "discussion group", where I am not considered competative in any way.)
Many thank's George - as usual!
Cheers!
Many thank's George - as usual!
Cheers!
Posted 10/11/2005 - 15:01
Link
Mac,
I didn't say I was right!
G
I didn't say I was right!
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 10/11/2005 - 15:15
Link
George said "I didn't say I was right!"
George, you MUST be - I agree with you!
Of course, the subject remains open and I certainly welcome any and all input - especially now that I've silenced MY critics with George's expert reply!
I love this!
George, you MUST be - I agree with you!
Of course, the subject remains open and I certainly welcome any and all input - especially now that I've silenced MY critics with George's expert reply!
I love this!
Posted 10/11/2005 - 15:56
Link
I pronounce it that way too.
As a fellow Cannuck, I'd love to hear Prime Minister Creitien say it without swearing....
As a fellow Cannuck, I'd love to hear Prime Minister Creitien say it without swearing....
Posted 10/11/2005 - 16:27
Link
The world is full of variety
http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net">target="blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net/msg109943.html
I say AH-SAY-HIGH
But then I'm probably wrong too. I have some Japanese friends - maybe I'll ask them
Matt
http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net">target="blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net/msg109943.html
I say AH-SAY-HIGH
But then I'm probably wrong too. I have some Japanese friends - maybe I'll ask them
Matt
Posted 10/11/2005 - 16:28
Link
Apparently it's supposed to be:
A-SAH-HEE
http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net">target="blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net/msg109969.html
But, you'll find this humerous:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net">target="blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net/msg110002.html
Check this Japanese guide out:
http://www.suzakuseishi.com/FushigiYuugi/Dictionary/
A . . . . pronounced "ah" as in "Yaht"
I . . . pronounced "ee" as in "Tree
E . . . pronounced "eh" as in "Bet"
O . . . pronounced "oh" as in "Go"
U . . . pronounced "ooh" as in "boot"
A-SAH-HEE
http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net">target="blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net/msg109969.html
But, you'll find this humerous:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net">target="blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-discuss@pdml.net/msg110002.html
Check this Japanese guide out:
http://www.suzakuseishi.com/FushigiYuugi/Dictionary/
A . . . . pronounced "ah" as in "Yaht"
I . . . pronounced "ee" as in "Tree
E . . . pronounced "eh" as in "Bet"
O . . . pronounced "oh" as in "Go"
U . . . pronounced "ooh" as in "boot"
Posted 11/11/2005 - 01:16
Link
As I see from Matt's research, George had it correct - 'cept for the accent on the 2nd sylable. Seems we should monotone it - no fun.
ah-SAW-hee is way more fun to say IMHO. Heck, we get to say TAK-u-mar and PEN-tax! (Or is it penta-X? Arrrrggghhhh!)
Thank's for the input and to Malcolm Smith's wife for her wise perspective.
Don, Mr. Creitien would simply say "Dat camera guy".
Night all!
ah-SAW-hee is way more fun to say IMHO. Heck, we get to say TAK-u-mar and PEN-tax! (Or is it penta-X? Arrrrggghhhh!)
Thank's for the input and to Malcolm Smith's wife for her wise perspective.
Don, Mr. Creitien would simply say "Dat camera guy".
Night all!
Posted 11/11/2005 - 04:01
Link
I envisioned him saying something like:
"I lookink at you with my uh...umm..ah-say-ho...you smile and sayiing "poutine" while I takink your pornograph..eh?"
"I lookink at you with my uh...umm..ah-say-ho...you smile and sayiing "poutine" while I takink your pornograph..eh?"
Posted 11/11/2005 - 10:36
Link
Matt,
Many thank's for all your research - as usual. I'm glad we've gotten to the bottom of this (I hope), as it has been bothering me for months now.
You've been involved with this Pentax passion way longer than I.
How long do you think it will take you to say the good Doctor's name without stammering? I was getting the pronounciation correct, but messing-up the intonation. Now I trip all over it trying to get it right.
Don, maybe Mr. Creitien and I share similar chrome o zines, uh, chrono zanes, ah, dose jean tings, after all!
Many thank's for all your research - as usual. I'm glad we've gotten to the bottom of this (I hope), as it has been bothering me for months now.
You've been involved with this Pentax passion way longer than I.
How long do you think it will take you to say the good Doctor's name without stammering? I was getting the pronounciation correct, but messing-up the intonation. Now I trip all over it trying to get it right.
Don, maybe Mr. Creitien and I share similar chrome o zines, uh, chrono zanes, ah, dose jean tings, after all!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2277 posts
24 years
I was at a camera trader's office yesterday in Montreal, Quebec, and a group of us got into a "discussion" (we are SO polite here) regarding the correct way to pronounce Asahi. We all have great respect for the good doctor and the company he founded, and would very much like to honor him by at least not butchering his name.
Can somebody take a stab at educating us phonetically?
Much appreciated -
Cheers