Don?

Daniel Bridge
Posted 13/03/2007 - 23:19 Link
Right, this isn't just for Don, but I'm guessing he's going to come up with at least one idea...

My wife broke her toe last week.

Comment Image



We went to the hospital today, and got her some crutches (good old NHS). I asked what we do with them when she doesn't need them anymore, and was told that they'd be thrown away by the hospital if we took them back, so we may as well keep them.

They're this type:

Comment Image


Aluminium legs with height adjustment, length adjustment to bit above handle too.

Trying to keep your answers clean please, any ideas what I could do with these when Wife's skipping about again? Lighting stand? Some sort of camera support? You decide!

Dan

P.S. If your robot needs legs Don, you can have them for the cost of the postage.
fatspider
Posted 14/03/2007 - 00:00 Link
Keep it for when you want an easy few days at work
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
kcmadr
Posted 14/03/2007 - 02:46 Link
Did you ever watch "Day of the Jackal" based on Frederick Forsythe's novel?

But seriously, I can't really think of anything.

Something will crop up though if the need arises.

Another broken something for instance...
Gwyn
Posted 14/03/2007 - 07:09 Link
I am really shocked that the hospital said keep them or they'd be thrown away! No wonder the NHS is in the state it is in. What a waste of resources. Here in Holland you have to HIRE your crutches if you need them

However I can't offhand think of any good use to put them to later. Maybe if you don't come up with something you could donate them to a charity that will send them to Africa or somewhere where they will be glad of them.
Tydis
Posted 14/03/2007 - 08:03 Link
Quote:
Keep it for when you want an easy few days at work


As for anything remotely useful to make from those, I haven't the slightest idea. Something will come up though no doubt.
Don
Posted 14/03/2007 - 11:56 Link
You could get creative with pipe cutters and come up with something, light stand, mini pod etc...but I wonder...
Ever find $20.00(lucky day!), and realize you could buy lunch and feel good for an hour?
Ever find $20.00 and skip the lunch, donating it to someone needy, (or a good cause) (eternally lucky!)? The feel good feeling lasts longer...call me greedy...

ps...wishes to the Missus...heal fast and feel better soon.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Rodger Fooks
Posted 14/03/2007 - 12:14 Link
Use them to monopod that new BIG Sigma Lens that has just been announced.

Or just donate them to a childrens hospital or care home
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Mannesty
Posted 14/03/2007 - 12:28 Link
I'm sure somebody can make good use of them in their unaltered state. I actually doubt that they would be thrown away if you returned them to the NHS anyway.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
fatspider
Posted 14/03/2007 - 12:45 Link
Quote:
I am really shocked that the hospital said keep them or they'd be thrown away! No wonder the NHS is in the state it is in. What a waste of resources. Here in Holland you have to HIRE your crutches if you need them

However I can't offhand think of any good use to put them to later. Maybe if you don't come up with something you could donate them to a charity that will send them to Africa or somewhere where they will be glad of them.
Gwyn, its not just the NHS. After taking in and nursing a terminally ill friend, a relative of the wifes was left with a comode and a walking frame, Despite several calls to Social Services she could not get anyone to pick them up, eventually my wife "sneaked" the walking frame into the old peoples home where she works part time, I say "sneaked" because stupid rules and regs would have meant they could not accept it, it is now in daily use by one resident and no-one has questioned where it came from, they just assume its one from a storage room.

Maybe if the NHS were a little more thrifty our prescription charges wouldn't be so high .
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Mongoose
Posted 14/03/2007 - 13:54 Link
Quote:
it is now in daily use by one resident and no-one has questioned where it came from, they just assume its one from a storage room.
probably a case of "don't ask a question to which you don't want to know the answer". I doubt anyone in that place actually believes that rule is a good idea.
Pwynnej
Posted 14/03/2007 - 15:36 Link
Quote:
Here in Holland you have to HIRE your crutches if you need them
I am sure Gwyn or I will gladly take them off your hands and rent them out here, helps with the DA* lens fund
Rodger Fooks
Posted 14/03/2007 - 15:46 Link
If you want some in Holland just go on to e-bay - loads of them for £10 inc delivery
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 16/03/2007 - 13:19 Link
Trust you lot to be nice, compassionate people, caring about less fortunate souls around the World.

There was I, expecting something like "super telescopic tripod centre column for unusual angles", or, probably from Don, "robot underwater monkey spy machine" or something.

Looks like I'll just have to do the decent thing, although that centre column thing sounds tempting...

Cheers,
Dan

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo