Dog portraits
Posted 22/10/2010 - 15:17
Link
Great photo, that nobody commented on it!
And thank you for your explanation, did you change things over the years?
The soft colours are really appealing and i like the framing.
Maybe you've up your photoshop skills and can you remove the chain on his neck, because it's so bright and shiny it ask for attention that should go to the dog IMHO.
And thank you for your explanation, did you change things over the years?
The soft colours are really appealing and i like the framing.
Maybe you've up your photoshop skills and can you remove the chain on his neck, because it's so bright and shiny it ask for attention that should go to the dog IMHO.
Posted 22/10/2010 - 15:50
Link
Hmm I remember this photo, not sure why there were no comments now because I recall a discussion about why the chain was so tight. Phil explained that it was a common way to show a dog which gave it a good posture or something like that. Perhaps this was a double post originally?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 22/10/2010 - 16:18
Link
Tim this photo was before our time though 31/05/2008, maybe indeed he reposted the photo or a similar one?
Posted 22/10/2010 - 19:18
Link
Ian, i was so free to edit your photo, i hope you don't mind.
remove the chain and added a bit more contrast.
[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/Anvh/Brett3x.jpg[/IMG]
remove the chain and added a bit more contrast.
[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/Anvh/Brett3x.jpg[/IMG]
cardiff_gareth wrote:
I like it but I think if it was on grass
Too much work to add some grass, sorry
I like it but I think if it was on grass
Posted 22/10/2010 - 20:19
Link
Hi Philstaff
I was asked to photograph our local dog show (Ty Mawr) this Summer - most of my 'formal shots' were crap (my opinion) but then I started mucking about a bit an in my view they got better.
Here's two of them, I prefer this type of thing but that's just personal taste. The shots from my 50mm prime were sharper but it would seem that sharpness certainly isn't everything with dogs (I have very little experience to draw on though)
Informal shot with hardly any pp - 18-55 kit lens

Another informal shot again with the kit lens and minimal pp

I tried post processing - even shots with my Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro seemed better some how when only slightly adjusted - again though this is just my taste (raw conversions).
For the record I don't think there is much if anything at all wrong with your shot, Stephan has helped it along a little though, dependant upon taste and in my view I would say that your shot above is better than both of mine it just seems a lot more, dare I say it, professional
Cheers
Stu
I was asked to photograph our local dog show (Ty Mawr) this Summer - most of my 'formal shots' were crap (my opinion) but then I started mucking about a bit an in my view they got better.
Here's two of them, I prefer this type of thing but that's just personal taste. The shots from my 50mm prime were sharper but it would seem that sharpness certainly isn't everything with dogs (I have very little experience to draw on though)
Informal shot with hardly any pp - 18-55 kit lens

Another informal shot again with the kit lens and minimal pp

I tried post processing - even shots with my Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro seemed better some how when only slightly adjusted - again though this is just my taste (raw conversions).
For the record I don't think there is much if anything at all wrong with your shot, Stephan has helped it along a little though, dependant upon taste and in my view I would say that your shot above is better than both of mine it just seems a lot more, dare I say it, professional
Cheers
Stu
Posted 22/10/2010 - 21:16
Link
But you also have the DOF to content.
If you've a suitable stock image it might be simpler to select the dog out of here and paste it in on the stock photo.
If you've a suitable stock image it might be simpler to select the dog out of here and paste it in on the stock photo.
Posted 24/10/2010 - 10:05
Link
Anvh wrote:
Great photo, that nobody commented on it!
And thank you for your explanation, did you change things over the years?
The soft colours are really appealing and i like the framing.
Maybe you've up your photoshop skills and can you remove the chain on his neck, because it's so bright and shiny it ask for attention that should go to the dog IMHO.
Morning Stefan forgot about this post it was quite some time ago it seems from very early times that when photos have been taken of this breed the Staffordshire bull terrier the preferd pose is as above. I still take my portraits in this pose unless asked to change things a little. I have recently purchased a 135 3.5 m lens which I think will work very well for this type of work if we can keep them still long enough.
Great photo, that nobody commented on it!
And thank you for your explanation, did you change things over the years?
The soft colours are really appealing and i like the framing.
Maybe you've up your photoshop skills and can you remove the chain on his neck, because it's so bright and shiny it ask for attention that should go to the dog IMHO.
Posted 24/10/2010 - 10:09
Link
Stuey wrote:
Hi Philstaff
I was asked to photograph our local dog show (Ty Mawr) this Summer - most of my 'formal shots' were crap (my opinion) but then I started mucking about a bit an in my view they got better.
Here's two of them, I prefer this type of thing but that's just personal taste. The shots from my 50mm prime were sharper but it would seem that sharpness certainly isn't everything with dogs (I have very little experience to draw on though)
Informal shot with hardly any pp - 18-55 kit lens

Another informal shot again with the kit lens and minimal pp

I tried post processing - even shots with my Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro seemed better some how when only slightly adjusted - again though this is just my taste (raw conversions).
For the record I don't think there is much if anything at all wrong with your shot, Stephan has helped it along a little though, dependant upon taste and in my view I would say that your shot above is better than both of mine it just seems a lot more, dare I say it, professional
Cheers
Stu
Morning Stu some nice head shots there I do take head studies also but most of the owners prefer there dogs in a show stance I find.Hi Philstaff
I was asked to photograph our local dog show (Ty Mawr) this Summer - most of my 'formal shots' were crap (my opinion) but then I started mucking about a bit an in my view they got better.
Here's two of them, I prefer this type of thing but that's just personal taste. The shots from my 50mm prime were sharper but it would seem that sharpness certainly isn't everything with dogs (I have very little experience to draw on though)
Informal shot with hardly any pp - 18-55 kit lens

Another informal shot again with the kit lens and minimal pp

I tried post processing - even shots with my Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro seemed better some how when only slightly adjusted - again though this is just my taste (raw conversions).
For the record I don't think there is much if anything at all wrong with your shot, Stephan has helped it along a little though, dependant upon taste and in my view I would say that your shot above is better than both of mine it just seems a lot more, dare I say it, professional
Cheers
Stu
Ian
Posted 24/10/2010 - 10:17
Link
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/philstaff/10s.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/philstaff/HD3A.jpg[/IMG]
These were taken about a year ago.
Ian
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/philstaff/HD3A.jpg[/IMG]
These were taken about a year ago.
Ian
Posted 24/10/2010 - 10:41
Link
Hi Ian
Both head photo's are spot on - number one would be my preferred one.
When I tried the formal stuff I just didn't like what I was getting(my fault) yours look great though.
I supppose it's the boredom I feel with formality
I really enjoyed moving away from the formal stuff inbetween being 'needed' at the 'ring' at the dogshow and started taking shots under chairs, on owners knee's, by the exercise area etc etc.
If anyone was paying for a photo of their dog I am pretty certain that the owners would be queing for your pictures rather than my informal approach
Cheers
Stu
Both head photo's are spot on - number one would be my preferred one.
When I tried the formal stuff I just didn't like what I was getting(my fault) yours look great though.
I supppose it's the boredom I feel with formality
I really enjoyed moving away from the formal stuff inbetween being 'needed' at the 'ring' at the dogshow and started taking shots under chairs, on owners knee's, by the exercise area etc etc.
If anyone was paying for a photo of their dog I am pretty certain that the owners would be queing for your pictures rather than my informal approach
Cheers
Stu
Posted 24/10/2010 - 12:05
Link
I know what you meen Stu re the formal stuff I managed to get these shots of a Plumber terrier at work in the feild I think it shows the charicter of her terrier instinct far better than a pose.
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/philstaff/plumer10.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/philstaff/IMGP0401.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/philstaff/IMGP0405-1.jpg[/IMG]
She is an excelent ratter and used by farmers in the area for the purpose and has a few battle scares to prove it but she is a lovely girl.
Ian
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/philstaff/plumer10.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/philstaff/IMGP0401.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/philstaff/IMGP0405-1.jpg[/IMG]
She is an excelent ratter and used by farmers in the area for the purpose and has a few battle scares to prove it but she is a lovely girl.
Ian
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



1455 posts
18 years