DIY Printing
Posted 08/11/2009 - 18:09
Link
To be honest, I don't need professional quality prints as they will never be sold, or even hung on the wall at home. But, I use Tescos if I need a good quality print and I've been happy with the results so far.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Posted 08/11/2009 - 21:37
Link
Yes if you get a good printer. but it will cost.
I have MP810 and the prints are excellent. 5 inks required and expensive when they all go at once i.e. £60+ for canon. Would buy canon again if the quality was as good/better than MP810. A4 is as good as Epson 4800 at local college.
(I've used tesco but the colous were a bit vivid and unreal)
Doug
I have MP810 and the prints are excellent. 5 inks required and expensive when they all go at once i.e. £60+ for canon. Would buy canon again if the quality was as good/better than MP810. A4 is as good as Epson 4800 at local college.
(I've used tesco but the colous were a bit vivid and unreal)
Doug
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 08/11/2009 - 23:40
Link
I get large posters printed at Tesco & find them very good. cannot really comment on small photos as I rarely need smaller than 20 x 16
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 08/11/2009 - 23:41
Link
dougf8 wrote:
I have MP810 and the prints are excellent. 5 inks required and expensive when they all go at once i.e. £60+ for canon.
Doug
Try something like a HP9180 with 8 cartridges or HP Z3200 with 12 LARGE cartridges. I have MP810 and the prints are excellent. 5 inks required and expensive when they all go at once i.e. £60+ for canon.
Doug
It is a lot cheaper to have your prints done commercially than doing them at home. BUT, printing your pics yourself has some advantages. You can print some custom sizes a lab won't do, you can have them right away if you need them fast, and you can control every steps of the process.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 09/11/2009 - 11:23
Link
One thing mentioned about cartridge prices..I've recently discovered Continuous Ink Supply Systems ( CISS ).
Looking at getting one for my new Epson. The initial outlay is about £40,but that includes 100ml of ink. Ongoing running costs claim to be equivalent to about 50p per cartridge.
Even including the initial outlay, it claims the running caosts equate to 84p per cartridge.
Looking at getting one for my new Epson. The initial outlay is about £40,but that includes 100ml of ink. Ongoing running costs claim to be equivalent to about 50p per cartridge.
Even including the initial outlay, it claims the running caosts equate to 84p per cartridge.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Posted 09/11/2009 - 12:08
Link
Father Ted wrote:
One thing mentioned about cartridge prices..I've recently discovered Continuous Ink Supply Systems ( CISS ).
Looking at getting one for my new Epson. The initial outlay is about £40,but that includes 100ml of ink. Ongoing running costs claim to be equivalent to about 50p per cartridge.
Even including the initial outlay, it claims the running caosts equate to 84p per cartridge.
Fotospeed have about the best CISS, I've used one on an Epson R300 for around 3 years with no real problems, I also had it profiled by them and that made a big difference.One thing mentioned about cartridge prices..I've recently discovered Continuous Ink Supply Systems ( CISS ).
Looking at getting one for my new Epson. The initial outlay is about £40,but that includes 100ml of ink. Ongoing running costs claim to be equivalent to about 50p per cartridge.
Even including the initial outlay, it claims the running caosts equate to 84p per cartridge.
Unfortunately, my R300 died recently and I bought an Epson PX700W "all in one" photo printer as a replacement for it and an older Epson "all in one" that also threw it's legs into the air. The bad news was that I cannot use a CISS with the new printer as you cannot get access to the ink tanks with the lid closed, I suspect that this was deliberate by Epson!
As I don't print many shots these days, so my ink usage has diminished dramatically, but I still do a few occasionally. I now use a local or on line photo lab for family prints and for quality or large prints I use DS Colour Labs (DSCL) as recommended by some fellow forum members.
Posted 09/11/2009 - 12:17
Link
I use a CISS And they are great last for sooooooooo Longgggggggg
FT But One word of warning They do tend to lay down a lot of ink and if you don't use every day or two you will need to clean the nozzle before you print so I would be good if your new printer has a catch tank that can be move and cleaned also make sure the CISS is compatible with the printer (epson have the habit of changing their printing chip often, so ring up the CISS supplier first and ask)
James
I've had my CISS for three years and had no problem's yet but I bought it as a package from Ink express (printer and CISS together (£84.00)
FT But One word of warning They do tend to lay down a lot of ink and if you don't use every day or two you will need to clean the nozzle before you print so I would be good if your new printer has a catch tank that can be move and cleaned also make sure the CISS is compatible with the printer (epson have the habit of changing their printing chip often, so ring up the CISS supplier first and ask)
James
I've had my CISS for three years and had no problem's yet but I bought it as a package from Ink express (printer and CISS together (£84.00)
My Fluidr
"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
Posted 09/11/2009 - 16:39
Link
Hmmm..I'm looking at a CISS which claims to be for my printer, which is also an "All-in-one". I asked the question about ink lines as the scanner closes down over the print heads and has a slight overlap down the sides. The CISS company say this is ok as the tubes are only 3mm dia. and will fit.
This is the printer
http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-DX9400F
and this is the CISS
http://continuous-ink-system.co.uk/DX9400F_Ciss-continuous_ink_flow_system_for_E...
Any advice or tips on these would be gratefully received.
This is the printer
http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-DX9400F
and this is the CISS
http://continuous-ink-system.co.uk/DX9400F_Ciss-continuous_ink_flow_system_for_E...
Any advice or tips on these would be gratefully received.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Posted 09/11/2009 - 18:45
Link
Father Ted wrote:
Hmmm..I'm looking at a CISS which claims to be for my printer, which is also an "All-in-one". I asked the question about ink lines as the scanner closes down over the print heads and has a slight overlap down the sides. The CISS company say this is ok as the tubes are only 3mm dia. and will fit.
This is the printer
http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-DX9400F
and this is the CISS
http://continuous-ink-system.co.uk/DX9400F_Ciss-continuous_ink_flow_system_for_E...
Any advice or tips on these would be gratefully received.
Hmmm, not too sure. My PX700W is similar in construction and there is definitely no room for the feed pipes. But if they guarantee it will work, then allright! Hmmm..I'm looking at a CISS which claims to be for my printer, which is also an "All-in-one". I asked the question about ink lines as the scanner closes down over the print heads and has a slight overlap down the sides. The CISS company say this is ok as the tubes are only 3mm dia. and will fit.
This is the printer
http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Inkjet/Epson-Stylus-DX9400F
and this is the CISS
http://continuous-ink-system.co.uk/DX9400F_Ciss-continuous_ink_flow_system_for_E...
Any advice or tips on these would be gratefully received.
By the way, the DX9400F is not classified by Epson as a Photoprinter as it only uses 4 inks, the 6 ink and above printers are classified as Photoprinters. It will certainly produce reasonable prints, but not anywhere as good a 6+ ink machine.
Posted 09/11/2009 - 20:37
Link
It was bought mainly for my daughter's homework, photos will just be for scrap books etc.
The "real" photos will be done via Tescos..or similar.
Having said that, I tried a couple of test prints and they have come out reasonable
The "real" photos will be done via Tescos..or similar.
Having said that, I tried a couple of test prints and they have come out reasonable
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


631 posts
17 years
West Wiltshire
I was thinking of getting a Canon IP4700 Printer. Has anyone on the forum tried the HP 500 series printers, namely the A532.
Regards
Chris