DIY bag

Eastridge

Link Posted 15/05/2011 - 09:56
After reading many bag threads and in consideration of our tiny budget I have decided to take a cheapish hiking rucksack and fit out use the front pocket to hold my k-x with 18-250 attached, which is it's 'walkabout' configeration. Other bits can go in other pockets.

I am thinking of buying a block of foam from a local foam supplier and 'carving' it to fit inside the pocket and to support the k-x body either side of the lens whilst the camera is pointing lens down (so weight not on the front of the lens.)

I believe a few others on here have done something similar so any tips appreciated.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod

Don

Link Posted 15/05/2011 - 13:09
buy a lowepro hip pack... or a collapsable lunch cooler... and put it inside your backpack. also a plastic bag big enough to put your camera in should it rain.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

MrCynical

Link Posted 15/05/2011 - 14:45
The other option is to buy a photo gear 'insert' for a bag (Tenba and Domke ones are sold separately by Warehouse Express IIRC) - i.e. the padded section that comes inside dedicated photo bags. Then just stick velcro to the inside of your bag (to hold it in place) and you have a convertible photo/non-photo backpack.

simonkit

Link Posted 15/05/2011 - 15:10
I've just made my own "stealth" messenger bag using non-brand messenger bag and a Tenba insert from here, excellent insert:

http://www.mcl-media.co.uk/tenba-messenger-bag-photo-insert-for-digital-slr-came...

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

Algernon

Link Posted 15/05/2011 - 16:12
simonkit wrote:
I've just made my own "stealth" messenger bag using non-brand messenger bag and a Tenba insert from here, excellent insert:

http://www.mcl-media.co.uk/tenba-messenger-bag-photo-insert-for-digital-slr-came...

Simon

The lens wraps look interesting link

I've not used a Tenba one, but AP gave another make away free a few years ago. They usually have Velcro fasteners and can be used on any size lens or flashgun etc.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

xbow

Link Posted 15/05/2011 - 20:43
Camping "Kip Mats" make good DIY padding for ordinary luggage and pretty cheap if you shop around, I paid 4.99 for my last one.

Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

layingback

Link Posted 16/05/2011 - 09:44
I used carpet underlay offcuts - the better quality stuff - and stitched on a cloth covering, all in a Victorinox sling bag I picked up cheap. Made up 3 compartments, camera with lens plus 2 lens, and a flap to fold over the top so I could load a jacket etc. on top.

Construction was simply a front, back with flap in 1, and a long strip for both sides and bottom. Simply stitched together with seams outside where they wouldn't rub the equipment, but would catch against the seams of the bag. Partitions are simple, plus I added a couple of half-height ones to allow camera/lens combo to sit facing down.

My mistake was sewing up all the seams as I didn't need adjustable partitions. If doing again I would use velco for the partitions anyway. Partly because sewing the last one had to be done by hand not machine, but mostly because the velcro adds quite a lot of rigidity (important when putting the camera/lens back in).

Idea was to use until I found the "right" bag, but I continue to use it if camera plus 1 or 2 lens are all I need - the other non-camera pockets are just too useful!
My PENTAX Page

Eastridge

Link Posted 16/05/2011 - 09:54
Thanks guys.

Gareth - thanks, hubby has an old Lowepro Orion Trekker which is almost exactly the same design & has done him sterling service for years. But, too small for my needs - camera stuff + handbag + odds for the day + room for a fleece / coat ICON.

Suggestions re using 'inserts' reminded me that I have an old tape video camera (why have I kept this???) in the loft in a bag, so have used inserts from that to cobble together some padding / support. Plus plastic bag for rainproofing.

It's a bit 'gaffer tapish' so will see how long it lasts and may have to resort to spending money on proper insrts later but will try it for now.

So, seems like total cost for 30 litre pack with airback and fitted for camera just 26.99.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.