Discussion: Weekly Competition No 11 - "Solitude"

Prieni

Link Posted 17/09/2007 - 18:53
Good one, Dan. And I know how you got the idea, you pre-empted the feeling of judging this one
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

gartmore

Link Posted 18/09/2007 - 00:08
Great picture Lilly, where was it taken?

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Lilly

Link Posted 18/09/2007 - 00:20
gartmore wrote:
Great picture Lilly, where was it taken?

Ken

Thank u, I took it in the city of Ulanbaator, Mongolia with my Z1, it was a very empty and quiet place with amazing architecture.
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 18/09/2007 - 15:20
I can see already that this is going to be another hard one to judge...

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

lenscape

Link Posted 18/09/2007 - 22:13
Lets hope the judge this week doesn't fall into the all-too-obvious trap of thinking that moody subjects are better expressed in drab mono.
lenscape
K20D, K10D, K-m, MZ3, Metz 58-AF1, Optio MX4 & Linux.(No Windows)
(Gone: *istD, ME Super, Super-A)

gartmore

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 18:19
Mono? Drab? No way!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Lilly

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 20:14
lenscape wrote:
Lets hope the judge this week doesn't fall into the all-too-obvious trap of thinking that moody subjects are better expressed in drab mono.

DRAB MONO !!! How very dare you Lenscape
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,

lenscape

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 20:26
gartmore wrote:
Mono? Drab? No way!

Sure it is. Drab and depressing, generally.

It is very rare indeed for a mono picture to get anything more than a quick glance from me.

It's a bit like listening to good music with your fingers in your ears. You can still hear it but all the richness is lost.

IMHO, a good photo is never improved by removing the colour but a dull one may be made less so.

I can tolerate poor music longer with my fingers in my ears.

I have never understood the attraction.
lenscape
K20D, K10D, K-m, MZ3, Metz 58-AF1, Optio MX4 & Linux.(No Windows)
(Gone: *istD, ME Super, Super-A)

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 21:54
A good mono is not drab or depressing, a bad mono is both.
I find it interesting that so many of the photos are in mono - maybe people (subconsciously?) associate solitude with drab/depressing, or at least a lack of colour?

George Lazarette

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 23:30
Well, Lenscape, you've just written off the complete works of all the really great photographers, from Julia Margaret Cameron, through Ansel Adams, to HCB.

Colour is a very superficial thing, and only useful to pictorialists. Photography, done properly, is capable of so much more. By omitting colour, a photographer concentrates the mind on the essential elements of the message he is trying to convey.

I would say that if you were to compile a list of the 100 best photographs of all time, colour would account for fewer than ten. In fact, I can't think of a REALLY good colour photograph.

Sadly, good B&W photography is very difficult. That's why most of us mainly use colour.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Zach Abubeker

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 07:50
George Lazarette wrote:
Well, Lenscape, you've just written off the complete works of all the really great photographers, from Julia Margaret Cameron, through Ansel Adams, to HCB.

Edward Weston, Charles Sheeler, W. Eugene Smith, Cartier Bresson.. the list goes on.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 07:57
Zach Abubeker wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:

Edward Weston, Charles Sheeler, W. Eugene Smith, Cartier Bresson.. the list goes on.

Er, HCB = Henri Cartier-Bresson. But he's good enough to mention twice.

G

Gwyn

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 08:23
Ah but they shot in b/w and with film.
Most digital conversions to mono are grim you must agree. Done well they are great, but generally they turn muddy and flat. Not that I'm saying any of the posted photos are like that - they are all pretty good, certainly far better than I could achieve, but on the whole digital mono conversion is not good.

And I as I said before I was puzzled by the number of mono offerings this time, as if solitude can not be enjoyed in full Technicolor.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 08:30
Gwyn wrote:
And I as I said before I was puzzled by the number of mono offerings this time, as if solitude can not be enjoyed in full Technicolor.

But surely, you're not meant to enjoy solitude. It's naturally monochromatic. Though perhaps blue, rather than grey.

G

gartmore

Link Posted 20/09/2007 - 08:52
Gwyn wrote:
Ah but they shot in b/w and with film.

Some of us still do!

Ken
Ken
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.