Discharging and storing batteries.
Posted 07/01/2016 - 11:40
Link
From memory officially the batteries should be discharged about 50%, but I've never had a problem storing fully charged batteries. My old backup GX20 gets used about once a year and has two old batteries plus a new one that I bought recently, just in case the old ones stop working...... they are quite old now. I've never had a problem with using them even without re-charging.
My 4 batteries for the K-5 are all fully charged. Two of them haven't been used since last summer.
Maybe I should store them in a steel cash box or something and keep in in the shed just in case they explode
--
My 4 batteries for the K-5 are all fully charged. Two of them haven't been used since last summer.
Maybe I should store them in a steel cash box or something and keep in in the shed just in case they explode
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 07/01/2016 - 12:47
Link
A month is not so long really. Just leave them be and perhaps check if they need recharging after three weeks or so.
Best regards, John
Posted 07/01/2016 - 13:03
Link
Sorry to hear about your health problems Stan. I hope they can be resolved so you can continue with your photography.
I store my batteries fully charged. The often don't get used for months, but have never had a problem with them. Just make sure they are stored so the contacts can't accidentally touch.
I store my batteries fully charged. The often don't get used for months, but have never had a problem with them. Just make sure they are stored so the contacts can't accidentally touch.
Posted 07/01/2016 - 13:08
Link
It all depends on the type of battery.
Modern lithium batteries do not suffer from the memory effect and should retain charge will over long periods of time. To be honest a month is not a long time, if it was me I would probably not even think about it. If I know I'm not going to use a camera for a few months I would probably take the battery out of the camera and store it somewhere safe.
Just think how long some batteries and camera hang around store rooms, in some cases they could be in a warehouse for 12 months or more.
The other thing to think about is how long the cameras internal battery will last without power. You may have to reset up the time/date etc.
Some blah on Lithium Batteries
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery_Power/Lithium_Ion_Batteries
Modern lithium batteries do not suffer from the memory effect and should retain charge will over long periods of time. To be honest a month is not a long time, if it was me I would probably not even think about it. If I know I'm not going to use a camera for a few months I would probably take the battery out of the camera and store it somewhere safe.
Just think how long some batteries and camera hang around store rooms, in some cases they could be in a warehouse for 12 months or more.
The other thing to think about is how long the cameras internal battery will last without power. You may have to reset up the time/date etc.
Some blah on Lithium Batteries
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery_Power/Lithium_Ion_Batteries
Digital: Pentax K-1 II + Grip, Pentax K3II + Grip, Pentax MX-1.
Lenses: Pentax D-FA 24-70mm 2.8, D-FA 15-30 2.8, D-FA 70-200 2.8*, Pentax 35mm 2.4, 50mm 1.8, 18-135mm WR, 55-300mm HD, Sigma 70-300mm (macro), Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
Film: Mamiya C330 Medium Format, Pentax Super ME.
Lenses: Pentax D-FA 24-70mm 2.8, D-FA 15-30 2.8, D-FA 70-200 2.8*, Pentax 35mm 2.4, 50mm 1.8, 18-135mm WR, 55-300mm HD, Sigma 70-300mm (macro), Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
Film: Mamiya C330 Medium Format, Pentax Super ME.
Posted 07/01/2016 - 14:44
Link
Thank you all for the helpful comments. I think I'll just leave them alone for now. They ar not hidden away so should be able to remind myself they are there. The most annoying thing at the moment is I've barely had a chance to use the K-3 and 16-50mm lens
Posted 07/01/2016 - 18:17
Link
Sorry to hear that Stan but hey bring them all down to me and I will use them for you don't want that gear going off now do you
I didnt use my gear for about 3 months last year and it was fine never even give it a thought
In fact I left a K-R in a drawer for over a year with a battery in it and it fired up straight away .
I didnt use my gear for about 3 months last year and it was fine never even give it a thought
In fact I left a K-R in a drawer for over a year with a battery in it and it fired up straight away .
Posted 07/01/2016 - 18:33
Link
Hope you'll be well enough to use your batteries again very soon Stan.
David
David
Posted 07/01/2016 - 18:39
Link
Good luck Stan for a speedy recovery and a prompt resumption of your photography.
Posted 07/01/2016 - 18:47
Link
Best wishes for a full recovery, Stan. Medics are very clever these days.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 07/01/2016 - 19:10
Link
I'll second that , good luck..... Sounds like the batteries will be fine, but I wonder if you might want to have the 16-50mm exercised a bit during this time ? Haven't we been hearing that SDM motors should not be left inactive for long?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 07/01/2016 - 21:14
Link
'Haven't we been hearing that SDM motors should not be left inactive for long?' My thoughts exactly.
Don't fret about the batteries, but exercise any SDM lenses at least once in the month would be my advice.
Hope everything goes well and you're soon back shooting again. Good luck.
Don't fret about the batteries, but exercise any SDM lenses at least once in the month would be my advice.
Hope everything goes well and you're soon back shooting again. Good luck.
Posted 07/01/2016 - 22:21
Link
Stan all the best hope you get over it quickly and good luck
Stan J
Stan J
Posted 08/01/2016 - 00:32
Link
I too hope you get better soon
David
David
Posted 08/01/2016 - 10:19
Link
If you want peace of mind you might just take the batteries out, which I think Pentax advise; I once dug out an old mobile phone to find that the battery had swelled up inside although that had been over a much longer period.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4862 posts
15 years
Northumberland
Stan
PPG