Dilemma

NeilP
Posted 14/12/2014 - 15:11 Link
Here is my opinion after using one since Feb:

Ive found the K-3 much better in terms of AF with wildlife, compared to the K5 (mk1). Visited Bempton a few times this year and got a lot more keepers of in flight birds and have found more stayed locked on with foxes moving towards me. Not perfect but a noticeable improvement, certainly locking on more often than a friends D300. The biggest problem is keeping the focus point on the creature in question as if you slip off its a bit too sluggish to lock on again, but that could be said for most if not all crop sensor cameras

The noise issue compared to the K-5 is mitigated somewhat by the higher resolution allowing more aggressive noise reduction while retaining enough detail. I occidentally put my k-3 on ISO 3200 yesterday for some shots but they have cleaned up well as I didn't have adjust the exposure. The noise seems to become more apparent more quickly when playing with exposure, especially lifting shadows than on K-5.
Edited by NeilP: 14/12/2014 - 15:52
Chrism8
Posted 14/12/2014 - 16:03 Link
Blythman wrote:
I've made use of the "Hold AF" setting with the K3. Tracking a bird in flight which flew past a bush. The AF didn't immediately re-focus on the bush, but maintained its plane of focus.

Another thing to consider. Do, you use shutter button, or back button for AF.
Maybe won't help if you don't see the twigs. But I find back button much more adaptable.
Ive recently tried the back button focussing option and recorded my best ever keepers rate whilst shooting birds of prey in flight, even a fast moving buzzard.

If you've not tried this technique, give it a go, feels a little strange at first, but you soon adapt and if the keepers improve then.......

And I can vouch for the 645, a superb piece of kit, and it produces stunning images, although not of birds in flight
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
saxon
Posted 16/12/2014 - 19:20 Link
Great to hear all the comments here and thanks for the kind comments. I have only today managed to start really experiementing with the K3 and I have to say I think there's a very dramatic improvement in the focussing department over a K5. I just tried tracking the cat in a very softly lit room at night and even under the Christmas tree the K3 locked on over and over again where the K5 would be hunting or in release priority mode just giving me out of focus shots. I was also very pleased to find that even in video mode the AF button will cause the camera to focus albeit slowly (presumably to minimise noise).

I need to check it on fast moving subjects such as galloping horses or cyclists and so will head down somewhere I can shoot some of that stuff soon. Suffice to say so far it is everything I hoped it would be! Still waiting for the grip to arrive and I certainly don't like using Pentax cameras without a grip attached but then I do have hands like a 300lb gorilla!

Once again many thanks to all of you for your comments. Rest assured if any of you are using the K5 or earlier generation of cameras the improvement in focus performance is genuinely startling! I'm actually going to head outside to test it on an unlit street...

Kind regards,

Saxon
Mike-P
Posted 16/12/2014 - 19:46 Link
saxon wrote:
Great to hear all the comments here and thanks for the kind comments. I have only today managed to start really experiementing with the K3 and I have to say I think there's a very dramatic improvement in the focussing department over a K5. I just tried tracking the cat in a very softly lit room at night and even under the Christmas tree the K3 locked on over and over again where the K5 would be hunting or in release priority mode just giving me out of focus shots.
That's because the K-3 (and K-5II/K-5IIs) focus down to -3 EV ... the original K-5 couldn't.
jules
Posted 17/12/2014 - 05:04 Link
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo