Digital or analogue ?
Posted 20/09/2009 - 21:55
Link
It is true that although transistor amplifiers will give better lab results in tests, when tested by human ears valves are better.
Unfortunately, valves gets very hot, attract dust, deteriorate gradually in use and are now very expensive.
I'd like to be a valve fan, but it's too late for that now.
Unfortunately, valves gets very hot, attract dust, deteriorate gradually in use and are now very expensive.
I'd like to be a valve fan, but it's too late for that now.
Best regards, John
Posted 20/09/2009 - 22:14
Link
Well, John, not all human ears prefer valves. The "pixel peepers" of the hifi community most often prefer transistors because (I believe) it's better on most hifi parameters. Even dealers and builders of valve stuff have told me that transistors are best buys unless you go for top end stuff (+1500£ for an amplifier) With valves the sound is smoother - the mids often excellent but you don't get the same slam in the bass.
Never owned anything with valves myself (I'm from the transistor age), but would like to try some day.
Never owned anything with valves myself (I'm from the transistor age), but would like to try some day.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Posted 20/09/2009 - 22:19
Link
johnriley wrote:
...and are now very expensive.
I hope so! I've got 62 new old stock listed at the moment - the more expensive the better! ...and are now very expensive.
I've got a couple of amps but only one ever gets used and they're both transistor based. I've listened to quite a few valve amps and I do quite like the sound but I'm unlikely ever to buy one to be honest.
I was really interested in hi-fi up until several years ago when I stumbled across my ideal amp/speaker combo and I've stuck to it ever since. I've not felt the need to buy anything new for years now and my bank balance is grateful...
Joining the Q
Posted 20/09/2009 - 22:27
Link
After years I finally bought a Quad 99 Amp to go with a pair of Tannoy speakers. Quite happy now.
Regards, Tom
K-1ii,K-3iii's.
SMC PENTAX-F 1:2.8 28mm, HD Pentax-D FA* 1:1.4 50mm SDM AW,
SMC PENTAX-D FA MACRO 1:2.8 100mm WR,
SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:4 300mm ED [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-FA* 1:4 600mm IF & ED,
HD PENTAX -DA 1.4x AW AF REAR CONVERTER,
Pentax Photo Gallery
K-1ii,K-3iii's.
SMC PENTAX-F 1:2.8 28mm, HD Pentax-D FA* 1:1.4 50mm SDM AW,
SMC PENTAX-D FA MACRO 1:2.8 100mm WR,
SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:4 300mm ED [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-FA* 1:4 600mm IF & ED,
HD PENTAX -DA 1.4x AW AF REAR CONVERTER,
Pentax Photo Gallery
Posted 21/09/2009 - 00:04
Link
Learnt me trade on valves.
A 2n3055 is a singularly Oggyproof transistor, but they do not sound as sweet.
A 2n3055 is a singularly Oggyproof transistor, but they do not sound as sweet.
Posted 22/09/2009 - 13:46
Link
mmmm Denon.
(That sounds a bit like an advert...)
(That sounds a bit like an advert...)
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D
Posted 22/09/2009 - 14:28
Link
Give Hybrid or FET Amplifiers a chance as well.
Or match a Transistor Preamplifier with a Tube/Valve power amplifier (or vice versa).
Just my 5¢ on this subject.
Niklas
Or match a Transistor Preamplifier with a Tube/Valve power amplifier (or vice versa).
Just my 5¢ on this subject.
Niklas
15mm - 450mm equivalent, and still can't reach...
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



304 posts
18 years
South Devon
I prefer my DSLR over my film cameras, but I prefer listening to music through (modern)valve amplifiers, and to my ears at least, the sound is smoother, livelier and somehow more realistic.
Any other valve fans out there?