Diagonals

gartmore

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 19:17
Museum of Transport, Glasgow

Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 12/03/2014 - 19:21

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 23:20
I love the strong jagged lines and the way the roof cuts into the sky so sharply, and the highest peak of roof is placed just perfectly off-centre. The deep blues and bright creamy roof line are a great contrast.

I would give some low shadow boost (to the darkest tones) to bring in some lightening under the overhang and darkest parts of the glass - the very bright sunlight suggests to me that these areas would be brighter with reflected light. Also there's a couple of lighter round circles on the upper right sky area, which could be removed easily with the healing brush or somthing like that.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 12/03/2014 - 23:21

gartmore

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 08:06
Nigel, there was plenty shadow detail but I chose to remove it, I'm using Photogene on the iPad and the lighter circles weren't only appeared after posting here so further investigation is required as to their cause.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

davidtrout

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 08:22
Very strong graphic image. This is a building I'm dying to visit before long.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Papa_Lazarou

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 08:52
Really like the shapes and strong contrast to the sky. Lovely.
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

vic cross

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 10:29
I like the photo Ken but I think the title could be changed from diagonals to "ZIG ZAG". Just my sense of humour.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

gartmore

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 12:14
davidtrout wrote:
Very strong graphic image. This is a building I'm dying to visit before long.
David

David, I'm sorry to say that I find it very disappointing. Zaha Hadid's original design for the building has been very much watered down, if you are interested in cars you can pretty much forget it beause they are on shelves about sixty feet above the ground. As are the biycycles. If like me you enjoy viewing their interiors you can't but if the underbelly and exhaust of a 2CV is your thing then fine. The interior walls are lime green so photos look like they have been taken under flourescent lights.

One of the delights of the old museum was the hall filled with ship models as befits a Clydeside museum. Now they are on a sort of conveyor belt in a dark case with no desciptions or labels.

'Accessibility' = dumbing down, sadly.

You'll like the Glasgow built locomotives but there still isnt enough information. One enormous one built for South Africa has more information provided aboput apartheid than the locomotive itself.
Ken

davidtrout

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 12:27
Thanks for that Ken. I visited the old transport museum in Glasgow quite a few times and enjoyed looking at the cars close up - and I was fascinated by the marvellous scale models of Clydeside built ships.
David

gartmore

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 12:36
I wouldn't say 'don't go, but they've definitley thrown the baby out with the bathwater but having said that it is very successful. One architectural review suggested that they should have just shown one loco in the entire place and that would have been amazing, its too cluttered and I've found it very difficult to take any decent pictures. They are about to close the Burrel Collection for some years for re-interpretation' so God help us!

Glasgow SHOULD have the finest maritime museum in the world and the old basin and drydocks directly across from the new museum be a perfect location. I'm with the Greeks on the Elgin Marbles if we get the Cutty Sark back!
Ken
Last Edited by gartmore on 13/03/2014 - 12:41

bforbes

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 12:43
I'm always very wary of "New and Improved", and I did enjoy our Pentax visit to the Burrel Collection
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

LennyBloke

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 12:46
Is that the Profits graph for Morrisons Supermarkets by any chance
LennyBloke

gartmore

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 12:51
No the great irony in this city is that it looks precisely like a cardiac arrest.
Ken

jamieallan

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 18:32
davidtrout wrote:
This is a building I'm dying to visit before long.
David

David,
I would disagree with Ken regarding the building and it's contents. There are still many items you can get up close to. I admit the floor area is less than the old museum but it's still an impressive collection. The street brings back memories and puts display items in context. I'm not a fan of modern buildings but this is different. It's location and shape plays tricks on the eyes - particularly perspectives. I hope no one minds a few non-pentax images to show it off.

I do agree though that the internal wall colouring does nothing for me.
Jamie
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 13/03/2014 - 18:38

gartmore

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 18:40
Sorry Jamie, but this isn't the place for Olympus images but do indeed link to them elsewhere.

I made no criticism of the building other than it is a greatly reduced version of what the architect intended.
Ken
Last Edited by gartmore on 13/03/2014 - 18:41

techno-terminator

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 19:12
I've taken my grandsons to it and they don't really like it. Their mother's bike from when she was a kiddie is there - hanging up , but you can't really see it and everything on the label for it on the computer display was wrong.

I don't like it - they have tried too hard and it hasn't worked .
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.