Decent underwater housing

geclinke

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 23:13
Not sure if anyone's interested, but I noticed on some forums that Ikelite are considering making an underwater housing for the K5 / K7.
I'm sure anyone who already owns an Ikelite housing knows how good they are so it's worth contacting them to register your interest.
Obviously it's not going to be cheap, probably around 2K. But even if the tooling costs 20K, it doesn't take many sales for it to be worth their while.
With the K5 low light performance and small size, I think it could be an excellent proposition for underwater photography (and my Ewa Marine "bag" is getting a bit long in the tooth).
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50

geclinke

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 20:09
In case anyone's interested, I found a link to a seatool prototype housing for the K-5 and K-7.
Here it is. If the pricing is the same as the Kx housing, it's about 1800.
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50

Don

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 20:20
I think that there are a number of off the shelf underwater cameras that do a fine job for less than the price of an underwater housing, and the shooting environment negates any advantages you might find between your trust k5 and a lessor camera.

I use a Go-Pro for that kind of shooting....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 23:34
Don wrote:

If you mean the little silver cameras which can do HD video or stills and come with a waterproof housing then they're ace. My brother bought one with the "Motorsport Hero" package a while ago to hang on the outside of various cars, has yet to fall off and produces top quality footage.

Cost? 300 with the motorsport pack, a little less if you have the camera alone without the extra mounting parts to fit it to windscreens/panels. Much safer bet than risking your DSLR (and smaller too).
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Don

Link Posted 17/07/2011 - 00:08
Dangermouse wrote:
Don wrote:

If you mean the little silver cameras which can do HD video or stills and come with a waterproof housing then they're ace. My brother bought one with the "Motorsport Hero" package a while ago to hang on the outside of various cars, has yet to fall off and produces top quality footage.

Cost? 300 with the motorsport pack, a little less if you have the camera alone without the extra mounting parts to fit it to windscreens/panels. Much safer bet than risking your DSLR (and smaller too).

I saved even more money by going with hd 960 hero... when converted into apple prores, the footage fits in just fine with higher res files from other cameras... also.. the little plastic box it comes in? do not toss that away.. the black box lid has a mount built in and with a little green or blue painters masking tape can be mounted onto autos really easy....
here's mine with my servo pan tilt head and remote viewing through camcorder set up:

and my car chase scene rig:

and a video:
link
and yes the above images taken with a pentax and the stills in the movie also on a pentax...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 17/07/2011 - 00:09

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 17/07/2011 - 01:15
geclinke wrote:
Not sure if anyone's interested, but I noticed on some forums that Ikelite are considering making an underwater housing for the K5 / K7.
I'm sure anyone who already owns an Ikelite housing knows how good they are so it's worth contacting them to register your interest.
Obviously it's not going to be cheap, probably around 2K. But even if the tooling costs 20K, it doesn't take many sales for it to be worth their while.
With the K5 low light performance and small size, I think it could be an excellent proposition for underwater photography (and my Ewa Marine "bag" is getting a bit long in the tooth).

Well I hope SRS can get one to hire out, cos that's way too expensive, but hiring may make sense. However I can see why you'd want to use your k5 if you have a passion for underwater photography. A couple of metres down and it's already a lot darker than the surface.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 17/07/2011 - 01:25

Frogfish

Link Posted 17/07/2011 - 05:49
I thought Ikelite had actually replied to a few enquiries recently (plus the 2009 post below) and said that they had no plans to build one since they had no free time on their production for testing - business is good it seems.

I put the post below up on another forum :

You have options :

Customized housings designed by SPL Waterhousings in collaboration with Pentax Imaging USA. SPL is the only custom housing maker that makes specialty products for the Pentax line of SLRs.
SPL Water Housings - Custom crafting splash housings since 1996 - SPLwaterhousings.com

SPL Underwater Housing for K7

This from Ned Bunnell - President of Pentax in N.A. :-

Ned Bunnell , Sep 30, 2009; 09:19 p.m.
David,
Mark's housing is made by SPL Waterhousing in San Diego (SPL Water Housings - Custom crafting splash housings since 1996 - SPLwaterhousings.com). I had a chance to visit their facility, as we provided SPL originally with a K10D body so they could build the first housing which Mark started to work with. SPL builds quality housings ideal for surfing and on water photography. I have not talked to the folks at SPL in several years, but depending how many controls (buttons) you want access to and the number of lens domes you'll need, I believe their housings start at around $1200-1400. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ned Bunnell

Glad to find out who the other person using this housing is. I am a photographer based in Tofino on Vancouver Island and just ordered the housing for the K-7. I was packing my camera up for the long trip down to San Diego when he told me that he was fortunate enough to already have a body for molding purposes, Thanks Mark. For the housing with the 10-17 port it came to $1699.00. Not bad for a custom made housing.

June 29th, 2009 10:44 AM #2
Ikelite Staff
Equipment Manufacturer

In the past we haven't seen enough customer demand for the support Pentax dSLR cameras for us to invest in the development of a new housing. We do keep an eye on new models from all manufacturers however.

So the best answer is that I don't expect us to offer a housing for it. However that could change if there seems to be a significant increase in demand over previous models.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Opteka Housing (similar to EWA) :-

Opteka Underwater Case/Housing for Pentax K7 KX K1000 | Underwater Camera Deals

And Diveross make housings for the K5, K7 (both DRP100) K20, K10 (both DRP 200).

DRP100 DIVEROSS - PHOTO- Diveross underwater tecnology, photo and video housing | Plastmeccanica s.r.l

Prices for the Diveross DRP100:
Housing with standard port: 799
Housing with spherical port: 899
Standard port separately: 119
Delivery within three weeks after placing the order.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

geclinke

Link Posted 17/07/2011 - 18:35
I did take a look at the SPL housing, but's it's more of a surface product than a dive product - e.g. fine for splashing about at the surface but won't go much deeper than 5m.
It's good that Seatool are producing a housing, but availability outside Japan isn't great anyway - not even sure they have an official UK distributor.

The diveross housing looks interesting, but I can't see any reviews for it anywhere. Plus, I don't trust the "one size fits all" approach that the product seems to take. I'd want to see it in action to see whether it can actually reach all of the camera functons.
Last Edited by geclinke on 17/07/2011 - 18:37

Anvh

Link Posted 17/07/2011 - 18:45
geclinke wrote:
I'd want to see it in action to see whether it can actually reach all of the camera functons.

I actually doubt it will, and even if it did you can't reach the most important ones; the scroll wheels i beleive.
So you must shoot in auto mode if you like it or not.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 17/07/2011 - 18:46

geclinke

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 21:04
Woohoo, not sure if anyone else posted this, but it's here and cheaper than expected;
http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/pen_k5.html
Shame it wasn't out a few weeks earlier or I would have bought one.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.