Deansgate at Night
Posted 10/08/2010 - 10:44
Link
Agreed
Colin
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
Posted 10/08/2010 - 11:00
Link
Nice lighting on a very nice building.
I think you need to black out or crop the
Scientology sign though. Disgrace that they
are even there.
The right hand sign looks like the building
is for hobs (drawing office supplies).
I think you need to black out or crop the
Scientology sign though. Disgrace that they
are even there.
The right hand sign looks like the building
is for hobs (drawing office supplies).
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 10/08/2010 - 18:06
Link
Who needed support from the lampost? You or the camera?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 10/08/2010 - 18:10
Link
Very nice & subtle light John
Posted 10/08/2010 - 22:34
Link
Have you tried ANY crop that excludes the scientology sign?
Coker.
Coker.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Posted 10/08/2010 - 22:43
Link
When I selected the crop I adjusted it until I felt the proportions were right.
I think I'm going through a "realistic" phase and am becoming inclined to leave things in. The other sign is there, it could be cloned out easily enough, but then the image wouldn't be accurate any more as a representation of what I saw.
I'm not making any judgement with this image, just showing what was there.
I think I'm going through a "realistic" phase and am becoming inclined to leave things in. The other sign is there, it could be cloned out easily enough, but then the image wouldn't be accurate any more as a representation of what I saw.
I'm not making any judgement with this image, just showing what was there.
Best regards, John
Posted 11/08/2010 - 14:34
Link
coker wrote:
Have you tried ANY crop that excludes the scientology sign?
Coker.
I'd be lying if I said that thought hadn't come to my mind either!Have you tried ANY crop that excludes the scientology sign?
Coker.
Connotations of that sign aside, I don't think it helps the shot - too much of a contrast in my opinion; it diverts attention away from what the shot is all about. The other sign nicely 'melds' into the background, and is more of a compliment.
Just my 2p's worth...
Posted 11/08/2010 - 15:58
Link
There are of course all sorts of possible compositions. I chose the one I found balanced, as mentioned, but gave no consideration to whatever any signs were saying. Part of the function of the sign on the left is to confirm that the lighting on the main building was in fact that colour.
I can't remember what was on the right, but I certainly cropped it off so I can't have found it helpful.
Perhaps anyone who happens to be in Manchester would offer an alternative shot? :
I can't remember what was on the right, but I certainly cropped it off so I can't have found it helpful.
Perhaps anyone who happens to be in Manchester would offer an alternative shot? :
Best regards, John
Posted 11/08/2010 - 18:41
Link
I've no problem with the colours John, blue and yellow go well together. It's purely the name on the sign. Could even upset some people who have lost their children through brainwashing etc.
If the sign had a different name on it it would be a perfectly acceptable composition. The word "Photography" would look OK.
If the sign had a different name on it it would be a perfectly acceptable composition. The word "Photography" would look OK.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 11/08/2010 - 19:14
Link
Very strong image made, of course, by that wonderful light. For me, the Scientology sign is a distraction, both aesthetically and morally, but it's there and I can understand your reasons for leaving it is.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 11/08/2010 - 21:29
Link
Algernon wrote:
I've no problem with the colours John, blue and yellow go well together.
The problem is it's a highlight in the photos and highlights attract attention.I've no problem with the colours John, blue and yellow go well together.
If you selective darken the sign it should be less intrusive.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



24424 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester
[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/johnriley1uk/023-Deansgate-at-Night.jpg[/IMG]