DA* motor failure rate

stevejcoe

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 18:20
I have advocated a menu option, which would allow SDM to be disabled since K10 days AMD something that I hoped would ne included with every model since I appreciate that it might expensive to incorporate into old model firmware, but surely not if included at camera launch?

Well hopefully it might appear on the K3!

Regards Steve

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 18:59
If they did that then Pentax would more or less be admitting that there is a problem with SDM (what other reason would there be to disable it in-camera) so it's very unlikely to happen.
. My Flickr

stevejcoe

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 21:09
Mike-P wrote:
If they did that then Pentax would more or less be admitting that there is a problem with SDM (what other reason would there be to disable it in-camera) so it's very unlikely to happen.

I have to disagree, if spun correctly it could be marketed as a unique feature of Pro Pentax Glass. Much more value to me than WR. I can't remember the last time I took a memorable shot, when it was tipping down with rain.

Regards Steve

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 21:12
Why would it be of value to you Steve?
. My Flickr

CMW

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 21:40
Mike-P wrote:
If they did that then Pentax would more or less be admitting that there is a problem with SDM.

At least some of those people (however many or few) who have had SDM pack up would welcome the option of using screw drive as an alternative to spending nearly 200 to have SDM fixed. Some Pentaxians apparently already manage it by altering the firmware themselves, but why restrict a relatively easy fix to those used to dabbling with lines of code? Corporate embarrassment (if you're right) is a poor reason.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 21:48
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, infact I have asked for it myself a couple of times but the simple fact is the only reasons you would need to have SDM disabled are (a) SDM motor failure (b) So you can use screwdrive to get faster focus speed.

In both cases you are saying SDM is not fit for purpose which would leave Pentax open to all sorts of lawsuits.

Therefore I just can't see it happening (unfortunately)
. My Flickr

stevejcoe

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 22:04
I take your point, but there is a certain confidence gained from built in redundancy. Not quite the same I know, but mechanical shutter speed control as a backup was sold as a feature on the LX and other high end cameras of the day.

As I said earlier, it all depends on the spin and I live in hope rather than expectation

Regards Steve
Last Edited by stevejcoe on 12/08/2013 - 22:07

froeschle

Link Posted 13/08/2013 - 11:42
Quote:
I have advocated a menu option, which would allow SDM to be disabled [...]

A bit more complicated than a menu option, but still a possibility:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-deactiv...

LennyBloke

Link Posted 13/08/2013 - 12:15
stevejcoe wrote:

As I said earlier, it all depends on the spin and I live in hope rather than expectation

Amazing - just spotted this on the new Pentax site...

"New feature for Pentax Users who are un-nerved by the near silent and too quick SDM focusing system - the SDM bypass option - available now in Firmware V4.8.38849 for all Pentax models"

...is that the sort of 'spin' you wanted
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.