DA* 300 noisy focus


richardmills

Link Posted 30/11/2014 - 18:41
My new da* 300 arrived from Amazon yesterday.

The first thing I noticed is that the focus ring sounds noisy. It sounds like it needs a good oil and doesn't feel smooth. Its not really bad from infinity to closest but the other way doesn't sound great. It makes the same noise manually or autofocus.

Another thing I noticed is that when turning the focus ring the focus indicator doesn't turn at the same rate. It's not a 1:1 ratio of turn to actual focus movement.

This is not like this on my 50-135. Is it a 300 thing or do I need to return it? Thanks.

Fletcher8

Link Posted 30/11/2014 - 19:29
Hi Richard

I think you might have been unlucky. I ordered one from amazon a few days ago and have not had any issues that you raise. I have also just checked the focus indicator window and when i turn the focus ring the dial responds and indicates changes.

I think it would be wise to return it and get another copy, its a cracking lens and at the reduced price an absolout bargain.
Fletcher8.

derek897

Link Posted 30/11/2014 - 19:34
Hi Richard, that doesn't sound right. i would send it back. Iv had both of those lenses and would never have described either as noisy, cant comment on the indicator as i never copped it. Not a cheap lens, so like i said id send it back.
I know what i like, If not always why.

PeterE

Link Posted 30/11/2014 - 20:06
Richard

Send it back, I had one of these and it certainly shouldn't sound noisy at all,

Pete
K3, K50

Only doin' it for fun

davidstorm

Link Posted 30/11/2014 - 20:40
It is most definitely not right. Focus on the DA*300 is virtually silent and manual focus is very smooth.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

richardmills

Link Posted 30/11/2014 - 23:01
Thanks all.

This is why I love Amazon. New lens is on its way to me and I've 30 days to drop the other one off to my local collect+ point.

Dave-L

Link Posted 01/12/2014 - 01:47
If I may add to this thread as my concerns are in some ways similar, I too have an Amazon '639.99' 300mm DA* special and for two days, have thought all is well. It may be, and the image quality leaves nothing to be desired, however, I have two slight concerns (apart from the usual tricky-to-fit lens hood).

1. The back (camera) end of the focus ring isn't what I consider to be a close fit, which is something I did expect from an AW lens of this quality. When gripping the focus ring and pushing its back end from side to side (holding the lens firmly) there is a bit of play, enough for it to make a slight but clearly audible click each time the ring is pushed sideways, from any side. The click sounds like solid metal-on-metal, it's not tinny at all, but it's there. The focus ring action is smooth and quiet when turning it normally. My 100mm DFA WR macro has zero play or side-to-side movement in its (admittedly much smaller) focus ring and I had expected the 300 to be similar in that respect.

2. When turning the focus ring manually, it is allowed to continue turning well beyond the infinity and minimum focus marks respectively, on the focus scale... and I do mean a long way beyond. There is no 'stop' e.g. like my 100mm DFA, and I daren't even try and see how far it will go! Otherwise, within the scale, it turns and focuses well.

What I am asking is if these two points are by design, or if they indicate a sub-standard lens. Can anyone help? Thanks!
K3/K5/10-17fisheye/15mmDA Ltd/18-55WR/55-300DA/100DFAMacroWR/50F1.4M/200F4M/300DA*F4/Mitsuki 400F5.6/others.
Last Edited by Dave-L on 01/12/2014 - 01:57

JohnX

Link Posted 01/12/2014 - 09:46
Dave-L wrote:

2. When turning the focus ring manually, it is allowed to continue turning well beyond the infinity and minimum focus marks respectively, on the focus scale... and I do mean a long way beyond. There is no 'stop' e.g. like my 100mm DFA, and I daren't even try and see how far it will go! Otherwise, within the scale, it turns and focuses well.

What I am asking is if these two points are by design, or if they indicate a sub-standard lens. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Re your point 2, quite normal. My DA*300 and DFA 100 WR are exactly the same.

Dave-L

Link Posted 01/12/2014 - 13:51
JohnX wrote:
Dave-L wrote:

2. When turning the focus ring manually, it is allowed to continue turning well beyond the infinity and minimum focus marks respectively, on the focus scale... and I do mean a long way beyond. There is no 'stop' e.g. like my 100mm DFA, and I daren't even try and see how far it will go! Otherwise, within the scale, it turns and focuses well.

What I am asking is if these two points are by design, or if they indicate a sub-standard lens. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Re your point 2, quite normal. My DA*300 and DFA 100 WR are exactly the same.

Thanks, looks like 2. is by design then.

Is there any play in your focus ring though, however slight (enough to make a little click when trying to rock it at the rear from side to side, without turning it)? I can also slide the corner of a sheet of writing/typing paper between the focus ring and lens barrel, though only by about 1/4 of an inch. Both these may be normal too, thought it better to check because my 30 year old Mitsuki 400mm is slightly better in this respect (though much worse in general build quality and image quality).
K3/K5/10-17fisheye/15mmDA Ltd/18-55WR/55-300DA/100DFAMacroWR/50F1.4M/200F4M/300DA*F4/Mitsuki 400F5.6/others.
Last Edited by Dave-L on 01/12/2014 - 13:58

JohnX

Link Posted 01/12/2014 - 14:54
Dave-L wrote:
JohnX wrote:
Quote:

2. When turning the focus ring manually, it is allowed to continue turning well beyond the infinity and minimum focus marks respectively, on the focus scale... and I do mean a long way beyond. There is no 'stop' e.g. like my 100mm DFA, and I daren't even try and see how far it will go! Otherwise, within the scale, it turns and focuses well.

What I am asking is if these two points are by design, or if they indicate a sub-standard lens. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Re your point 2, quite normal. My DA*300 and DFA 100 WR are exactly the same.

Thanks, looks like 2. is by design then.

Is there any play in your focus ring though, however slight (enough to make a little click when trying to rock it at the rear from side to side, without turning it)? I can also slide the corner of a sheet of writing/typing paper between the focus ring and lens barrel, though only by about 1/4 of an inch. Both these may be normal too, thought it better to check because my 30 year old Mitsuki 400mm is slightly better in this respect (though much worse in general build quality and image quality).

Yes, there is a little play, and click, but can't say I noticed either until you asked!

Dave-L

Link Posted 01/12/2014 - 15:37
JohnX wrote:
Dave-L wrote:


Is there any play in your focus ring though, however slight (enough to make a little click when trying to rock it at the rear from side to side, without turning it)? I can also slide the corner of a sheet of writing/typing paper between the focus ring and lens barrel, though only by about 1/4 of an inch. Both these may be normal too, thought it better to check because my 30 year old Mitsuki 400mm is slightly better in this respect (though much worse in general build quality and image quality).

Yes, there is a little play, and click, but can't say I noticed either until you asked!

OK thanks again, looks like that's by design as well! It won't be a problem unless it gets worse, which now seems unlilkely. I hope it doesn't start to bug you now that you've noticed it!

Odd about your DFA 100 WR though, as mine has a firm stop at both extremeties of the focus ring.

Great image quality on the 300 incidentally, and it's made outdoor long-lens photography on dull afternoons like this one much more of a practical proposition.
K3/K5/10-17fisheye/15mmDA Ltd/18-55WR/55-300DA/100DFAMacroWR/50F1.4M/200F4M/300DA*F4/Mitsuki 400F5.6/others.
Last Edited by Dave-L on 01/12/2014 - 15:44

gtis

Link Posted 01/12/2014 - 18:29
Dave-L wrote:
If I may add to this thread as my concerns are in some ways similar, I too have an Amazon '639.99' 300mm DA* special and for two days, have thought all is well. It may be, and the image quality leaves nothing to be desired, however, I have two slight concerns (apart from the usual tricky-to-fit lens hood).

1. The back (camera) end of the focus ring isn't what I consider to be a close fit, which is something I did expect from an AW lens of this quality. When gripping the focus ring and pushing its back end from side to side (holding the lens firmly) there is a bit of play, enough for it to make a slight but clearly audible click each time the ring is pushed sideways, from any side. The click sounds like solid metal-on-metal, it's not tinny at all, but it's there. The focus ring action is smooth and quiet when turning it normally. My 100mm DFA WR macro has zero play or side-to-side movement in its (admittedly much smaller) focus ring and I had expected the 300 to be similar in that respect.

2. When turning the focus ring manually, it is allowed to continue turning well beyond the infinity and minimum focus marks respectively, on the focus scale... and I do mean a long way beyond. There is no 'stop' e.g. like my 100mm DFA, and I daren't even try and see how far it will go! Otherwise, within the scale, it turns and focuses well.

What I am asking is if these two points are by design, or if they indicate a sub-standard lens. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Hi
Well i have just checked mine and it is same on both points
And mine is a old one
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1


Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Last Edited by gtis on 01/12/2014 - 18:30

JohnX

Link Posted 01/12/2014 - 20:55
Dave-L wrote:
JohnX wrote:
Quote:


Is there any play in your focus ring though, however slight (enough to make a little click when trying to rock it at the rear from side to side, without turning it)? I can also slide the corner of a sheet of writing/typing paper between the focus ring and lens barrel, though only by about 1/4 of an inch. Both these may be normal too, thought it better to check because my 30 year old Mitsuki 400mm is slightly better in this respect (though much worse in general build quality and image quality).

Yes, there is a little play, and click, but can't say I noticed either until you asked!

OK thanks again, looks like that's by design as well! It won't be a problem unless it gets worse, which now seems unlilkely. I hope it doesn't start to bug you now that you've noticed it!

Odd about your DFA 100 WR though, as mine has a firm stop at both extremeties of the focus ring.

Great image quality on the 300 incidentally, and it's made outdoor long-lens photography on dull afternoons like this one much more of a practical proposition.

When I said earlier, '..are exactly the same as yours', I should have said 'the way your's operate', i.e. stops each end of focus on the 100, no stops on the 300.

Dave-L

Link Posted 01/12/2014 - 23:00
OK chaps, thanks to you both for the information, all is clear. I clearly have nothing to worry about and I can get on with taking some actual photos!
K3/K5/10-17fisheye/15mmDA Ltd/18-55WR/55-300DA/100DFAMacroWR/50F1.4M/200F4M/300DA*F4/Mitsuki 400F5.6/others.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.