Curious Questions about the K20D

petekd
Posted 03/02/2008 - 09:29 Link
Hi Folks

Yes Im still hanging around

Well these questions may have already been answered so forgive me.

The K20D shoots at 3fps at 14mp and a fast rate of 20 approx at 1.6mb

Would it be possible for with a Pentax firmware update to offer more fps at slightly less Mega pixels than 14. For example if you set your camera to say 10mp or 8mp could it be possible to get 5fps or 6fps ?? I cant understand why pentax have put out a 14mp at 3fps and offer 20fps at 1.6mb. That is such a big gap, something in between would be great.

My second question how as the AF improved slightly ?? not sure how. This compared to other new cameras is where the K20D could have improved over the K10d. The Nikon D300 for example is unbelievably fast and accurate with 51 points and the canon 40D similar also.

I think the K20D may have everything any one could want but and there is always a but. I believe with a better AF system and a few more fps at the higher end it may have been unstopable. The AF system is probably very expensive to develop but with samsungs backing I am sure they could have kept the price down on the K20D.

I know none of you know the true answers well Ben maybe, but just interested in your input.

Cheers Pete
Wedding & Portrait photographer
petekd
Posted 03/02/2008 - 12:28 Link
Just noticed the Samsung GX20 does the following

With the GX-20, continuous shooting at 3 fps (frames per second) is possible; up to 9 fps; giving the user the best chance to get a great picture.



Does this 9fps shoot at 14mp or something lower ?? Cant find the info

Pete
Wedding & Portrait photographer
johnriley
Posted 03/02/2008 - 12:29 Link
That sounds a bit contadictory. Does it mean 3fps in RAW up to 9 images?
Best regards, John
Classvino
Posted 04/02/2008 - 00:17 Link
3 fps? 20fps ???

Sounds more like you need a video camera than a still camera...

But lets split the difference - 11 or 12 fps at 7mp's - now, shooting raw, that'd fill a 2 gb card in about 4 minutes cumulative shooting time... How much that would be in real time would depend on how much you used the higher fps speeds...

You'd better get 2 bodies, an assistant to change cards in the one you're not currently using, and a case of cards to do something like a 4 hour wedding. Hmmm, how long would a battery last at that fps ? OK - get a dozen (or two) of them too...

Maybe it'd be better use 4Gb (minimum) cards - you'd get around 8 minutes between changes - give you time to swap the battery as well...

OK - this is all tongue in cheek, (and hopefully taken in the jocular spirit it was intended) and an extreme example at the very least, but would a higher fps actually help get better shots ?

Just my 2 cents... ymmv
--------------
MZ-6,K10D,K20D,Grip,DA*Zooms,DA 18-55-200 Kit,FA50,1.7TC,AFZ360
For Saleentax FA28-90,FA100-300,Sigma EX28-80,DC18-200,
Makinon 500mm Mirror
Darkmunk
Posted 05/02/2008 - 20:17 Link
OK I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and say FPS is irrelevant on the K10D (at least) as it can't focus for toffee. (there...I've said it)
If I try and catch that pooch up on the left when he is coming towards me, or any of my kids - just being kids, then I know I can write off all but the first shot.
I will be the first to admit, I have a lot to learn with the K10, but I have been snapping away with various cameras since about 1980 (about 12 frames/month av.) and I've taken plenty of good shots without the aid of AF or motor wind or God forbid, 15 FPS Raw (who the hell is going to wade thru that lot? and then process them?)
So that's why I am busy snapping up Manual lenses and using time-honoured techniques for stopping that one moment as opposed to 15 near misses.
If it is me, I would really love for someone to show me the error of my ways, but I am not going to blindly defend a camera just because I bought it.
So I think I agree with the sentiment that they can keep their gimmicks and just give me a fast, reliable AF. Because I am essentially... lazy, and I don't actually enjoy fannying around with 3 or 4 manual primes.
eBay can have them back when the K30 comes out.
ChrisA
Posted 05/02/2008 - 21:18 Link
Faster AF than the K10D?

For weddings and portraits, who cares?
gartmore
Posted 06/02/2008 - 08:30 Link
Quote:

Would it be possible for with a Pentax firmware update to offer more fps at slightly less Mega pixels than 14. For example if you set your camera to say 10mp or 8mp could it be possible to get 5fps or 6fps ?? I cant understand why pentax have put out a 14mp at 3fps and offer 20fps at 1.6mb. That is such a big gap, something in between would be great.

I thought you used to worry about shutter noise
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
pentaxian450
Posted 16/02/2008 - 00:45 Link
Quote:
Hi Folks





Would it be possible for with a Pentax firmware update to offer more fps at slightly less Mega pixels than 14. For example if you set your camera to say 10mp or 8mp could it be possible to get 5fps or 6fps ?? I cant understand why pentax have put out a 14mp at 3fps and offer 20fps at 1.6mb. That is such a big gap, something in between would be great.



Cheers Pete
This is just an educated guess (I'll be able to let you know more when I receive my K20) but the shutter itself on the K10d is NOT designed to handle more than 3fps. So, I think the 20fps must be with live view and an electronic shutter, kind of like the one used in point & shoot cameras.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo