Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Critique Forum

overbeyond
Posted 01/12/2005 - 20:30 Link
Would members agree that this forum would benefit with the inclusion of a "Critique" section. I think they can be good learning resources and we could post our good images and bad ones and see where we went wrong.
Just a thought.
Tom
MattMatic
Posted 01/12/2005 - 21:47 Link
Tom,
There's the sister site www.ephotozine.com that does exactly that
I've benefitted greatly from that site
Matt
overbeyond
Posted 08/12/2005 - 23:17 Link
MattMatic wrote:
Tom,
There's the sister site www.ephotozine.com that does exactly that
I've benefitted greatly from that site
Matt

Had a look Matt but could not find a critique forum as such. Still think it would be good to have a Pentax Users Critique Forum though.
Tom
johnriley
Posted 09/12/2005 - 05:39 Link
On ePHOTOzine you can post a picture and then anyone can post comments, and you can reply to them. In effect, I would have thought this was a forum thread about each picture.

If you want to post a picture in this forum for comment, you can do that providing the image is already on the web to link to. Hit the Img tab above, enter the URL and then hit the Img* tab to close off the instruction.
Best regards, John
Don
Posted 09/12/2005 - 15:08 Link
I would think 2 possible drawbacks are this:

A) somebody with a lot of potential, and little experience/confidence may get intimmidated or have thier feelings hurt.

B) some people are overly competitive and or sensitive and this could get unfriendly and unproductive.

I remember when I was younger and dumber going to a national kumate in Barrie Ont years back.
I had just gotten my green belt, the week before the tournament.
There was a kid there that had earned a reputation as a proffessional green belt, because he had entered that tournament many years in a row, but would not go for his brown belt. It was his home town and he had won that belt devision every time. I remember watching him defeat opponant after opponant and listening to students who had given up before they got in the ring with him.
I realized he was bigger, stronger, faster and way more experienced. I learned his tactics and understood his thinking. He was a bully. I decided that there was no way past his reach without getting hit (in fact I didn't see anybody hit him..) so I decided to go into the ring with him with a strategy. I decided to find out which one of us could endure the most pain and still get back up...

My point is some people don't play fair, some people are overly competitive and sometimes they wind up in the ring with each other and things get ugly...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
photo*ist
Posted 09/12/2005 - 17:00 Link
Don wrote:

<snip>
My point is some people don't play fair, some people are overly competitive and sometimes they wind up in the ring with each other and things get ugly...

--------------

I agree totally with Don and his excellent analogy. I have seen many forums turn very ugly when people speak "honestly" and the submitter (or other forum members) are offended. Some people only submit their photos to receive ooh's and awes and are totally offended by any criticisms no matter how well intentioned. Many times people submit nasty comments on-line that strangely they would never consider in a face to face encounter. This forum is one of the most civil and helpful I have ever seen and I would hate to see that change. I foresee trouble and my vote would be to not have a critique topic started. (Besides what is the relevancy of what brand of camera records the image anyway?)

Hoping for continued harmony,

Drew Peabody
johnriley
Posted 09/12/2005 - 17:43 Link
To be fair, I've not yet seen anything on ePHOTOzine get ugly in any way. As long as everyone is civil and considerate, there should be no problem.

I'm very glad that this forum seems to be very civilised indeed.
Best regards, John
Don
Posted 09/12/2005 - 18:44 Link
I quote "By magicboy (ePHOTOzine) At 12:00:30 - 03rd Dec 05
Is there a proctologist in the house?
By SimyD At 12:06:44 - 03rd Dec 05
No, But there are a few Ar*!holes
Simon
By u08mcb At 12:20:07 - 03rd "

http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=29077[/url]
johnriley
Posted 09/12/2005 - 18:49 Link
You will notice that the topic has been deleted, which is exactly what would happen here and does happen here when something dubious is posted.

However, in any event, I was really talking about the Reader gallery and the critiques posted, not the forums themselves. I don't usually have time to scan the EPZ forums.
Best regards, John
Don
Posted 09/12/2005 - 19:07 Link
Actually I was trying to be funny....it really s a great site.
johnriley
Posted 09/12/2005 - 20:03 Link
Sorry if I missed the humour - it's been a very, very long day......
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.