Cosmos in a vase

womble

Link Posted 07/09/2020 - 15:47
Pentax K-3, SMC Pentax "K" 35mm f/2.

Sept 07: cosmos in a vase par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

JAK

Link Posted 07/09/2020 - 16:28
Hi,
I don't often comment on photos in the forum but I have to say with this the flower head is great, but not sure about the out of focus vase. It creates something of a distraction and spoils the effect. A painting by one of the great masters surely wouldn't emulate that?
John K

womble

Link Posted 07/09/2020 - 16:35
You may well be right.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Lubbyman

Link Posted 07/09/2020 - 19:25
Agreed, the vase make the picture unbalanced, as does the flower looking out of the frame. I wonder whether flower in focus/vase out of focus would work if the flower were above the vase and facing the camera so the picture is symmetrical? Do you still have the flower and vase??

Steve

womble

Link Posted 07/09/2020 - 20:14
Lubbyman wrote:
Agreed, the vase make the picture unbalanced, as does the flower looking out of the frame. I wonder whether flower in focus/vase out of focus would work if the flower were above the vase and facing the camera so the picture is symmetrical? Do you still have the flower and vase??

Steve

I do, but I don't have the light. I'll try again tomorrow! K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

JAK

Link Posted 08/09/2020 - 01:07
Try one with the flower in the same plane as the vase to get both in focus.

A re-edit of your original doesn't look so bad if it's cropped to just include the top of the vase from around the water level in the vase. The OOF effect isn't so prominent then and may even help.
John K

davidwozhere

Link Posted 08/09/2020 - 01:43
The flower is gorgeous, nevertheless.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/09/2020 - 18:16
I think the vase works quite well with it being a little out of focus - it enhances the crispness and colour of the flower head - if I were to criticise anything it would be the crumpled cloth
LennyBloke

Sry

Link Posted 12/09/2020 - 16:10
It seemed quite fine to me, until LennyBloke above brought the cloth to my attention. Just kidding - I like it very much.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 14/09/2020 - 18:54
I'm going against the grain and saying I like that limited DOF. For me, it works better than if it was all in focus
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.