Copyright or Right to Copy?

nathanever82
Posted 19/08/2008 - 08:03 Link
Hello Everybody

Last year, I was on a photo-trip mission to the TATe Modern in London. I took a fabulous photo of a piece of art and created my own artistic representation.

The piece of art photographed is indeed a panorama of a city - and my photograph is this piece of art with a whole lot of reflections and people in the background. (I am sorry but I can't post the image for the very same reason I'm writing this post!)

Now, the TATE modern does not allow photos in some areas of its gallery, and I honestly can't remember if this was a no-photo area or not. Nonetheless it is a piece of art by a famous artist, and I have used his image in mine.

I am thinking of sending this photo for a competition, and I am wondering how much of an issue this is. Is it infringment of copyright? and to what level? Wouldn't it be like taking a photo of a monument or a statue outside (not being a permanent expo at the Tate?). Still the museum was free, and open to public.

Awaiting comments and advice!

Nathan
'Between the lights there is always a shadow'

www.nathanservi.com & PPG
nathanever82
Posted 19/08/2008 - 08:05 Link
Just to clarify, I would be happy to name the artist in my photograph, and I am trying to get in touch with him to ask for permission.

Yet, the query remains!

Nathan
'Between the lights there is always a shadow'

www.nathanservi.com & PPG
wysinawyg
Posted 19/08/2008 - 09:27 Link
Useful information here:

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p22_derivative_works.en.htm

Afraid I'm not an expert but it seems to me that if his work is clearly identifiable and is the main subject of your photograph then technically you're in breach of copyright.

wysi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo