confused about finding a macro lens
Posted 27/05/2012 - 20:07
Link
worldthroughalens
I currently have two Macro lenses, a Pentax SMC DA 35mm and a Tamron DI 90mm both of these lenses are great and perform very well when used correctly. Personally i prefer the Pentax SMC DA 35mm, but if you need more reach the Tamron DI 90mm is very good and priced very reasonably.
I have not used the Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG but you can find reviews on line and compare them with other lenses. If you are buying a Macro lens for the first time I would really recommend looking at the Tamron DI 90mm.
Without teaching you to suck eggs one thing to remember with Macro is that your depth of field (DOF) is reduced dramatically when working close up, so close down your lens, I have found that f/18 f/20 work very well and you can focus on different parts within the image you are taking and then focus stack the images together in order to get sharpness across the image.
This image was taken with a Pentax SMC DA 35mm link
I currently have two Macro lenses, a Pentax SMC DA 35mm and a Tamron DI 90mm both of these lenses are great and perform very well when used correctly. Personally i prefer the Pentax SMC DA 35mm, but if you need more reach the Tamron DI 90mm is very good and priced very reasonably.
I have not used the Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG but you can find reviews on line and compare them with other lenses. If you are buying a Macro lens for the first time I would really recommend looking at the Tamron DI 90mm.
Without teaching you to suck eggs one thing to remember with Macro is that your depth of field (DOF) is reduced dramatically when working close up, so close down your lens, I have found that f/18 f/20 work very well and you can focus on different parts within the image you are taking and then focus stack the images together in order to get sharpness across the image.
This image was taken with a Pentax SMC DA 35mm link
Fletcher8.
Posted 27/05/2012 - 20:10
Link
Hello. Pretty much any macro lens will be capable of giving razor sharp close up pics, and the sigma 50mm will be no exception I expect. The key aspect to consider if this is going to be the right lens for you is what you want to photograph with it. If you are looking to take pics of things you can get very close to (and especially if they are still) - plants and faces etc., then it will be great. If you are trying to get insects which are easily spooked and other things which move when you get close to them, then you may find that a 50mm lens means you have to get too close to get a frame-filling shot - i.e as you compose the shot you scare off the subject. Of course you could be very stealthy, or there are other focal lengths for macros in pentax fit - 90mm, 100mm, 105mm, 180mm and 200mm which I am aware of - they would give a longer 'working distance' than a 50mm lens I think - is there any way you can get to a shop and try a few out?
Cheers
Cheers
Posted 27/05/2012 - 21:21 - Helpful Comment
Link
worldthroughalens wrote:
Thank you for the feedback, I agree that longer focal length would be better. So would a Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro lens do the job? I many take nature shots so the subject will always move lol
I think a 70mm macro sounds like a good compromise between 35mm/50mm & 100mm... Working distance should be adequate for most task you put it to...Thank you for the feedback, I agree that longer focal length would be better. So would a Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro lens do the job? I many take nature shots so the subject will always move lol
I have a 100mm macro and although I'm enjoying it immensely I do often find it difficult to keep focus (more than I would with with a shorter focal length)... My results are improving day by day but there's a definite learning curve...
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Posted 27/05/2012 - 22:41
Link
I have been in that position as well. For insects such as butterflies and Dragonflies I personally think 100mm is the minimum focal length. 150mm or 180mm can be expensive. Alternatives are your 70-300 with an extension tube but it will be manual focus and manual exposure (depending on extension tube) or a teleconverter is pretty good on a 100mm macro as they are so sharp to start off with. Then of course the Raynox macro lens would work well on your Tamron ......
That hasn't helped has it! But you should consider everything and in the end it is the use that you want it for that should be the deciding factor.
That hasn't helped has it! But you should consider everything and in the end it is the use that you want it for that should be the deciding factor.
Posted 27/05/2012 - 22:41
Link
Hello worldthroughalens,
Before buying, can you put some examples up of the sort of shots/dof that you're trying to achieve? That may provide a better clue what you need to get
-Johan
Before buying, can you put some examples up of the sort of shots/dof that you're trying to achieve? That may provide a better clue what you need to get
-Johan
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3 posts
14 years
many thanks
worldthroughalens
Check out my Facebook Page - link