Confession from an Aging Photographer
Posted 01/03/2010 - 09:45
Link
It hapens to us all in the end Andrew, what a good find though, hope to see some shots with it soon. Any thing else up there?
Regards John
Regards John
Regards John/Jumbo
Posted 01/03/2010 - 10:58
Link
I look forward to seeing your macro images.
K.
PS. Anyone know where I put my red filter? It must be on a lens somewhere but I cannot find it. ~sigh~
K.
PS. Anyone know where I put my red filter? It must be on a lens somewhere but I cannot find it. ~sigh~
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 01/03/2010 - 11:38
Link
That's both cruel and unnecessary, Kris.
A.
A.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 01/03/2010 - 11:46
Link
John,
There was a Zorki 4 in amazingly good condition, some grubby Cokin filters and a Cosina 135, but dad must have dropped it at some time because the filter rim was dented and I can't get the aperture to close down.
My first camera an old chromium plated Halina from the fifties, given to me by my uncle, was still there in its brown leather and Bakelite(?) case. This brought back some memories. The only place to get films develooped ands printed was a chemist where I remember asking for "enprints".
There was an old Paterson developing tank and a Gnome enlarger, one of those frames with sliding sides to hold printing paper...dishes, tongs... all the paraphernalia of a black and white darkroom.
I was hoping for K10 D but dad never went digitsl!
Regards,
A.
There was a Zorki 4 in amazingly good condition, some grubby Cokin filters and a Cosina 135, but dad must have dropped it at some time because the filter rim was dented and I can't get the aperture to close down.
My first camera an old chromium plated Halina from the fifties, given to me by my uncle, was still there in its brown leather and Bakelite(?) case. This brought back some memories. The only place to get films develooped ands printed was a chemist where I remember asking for "enprints".
There was an old Paterson developing tank and a Gnome enlarger, one of those frames with sliding sides to hold printing paper...dishes, tongs... all the paraphernalia of a black and white darkroom.
I was hoping for K10 D but dad never went digitsl!
Regards,
A.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 01/03/2010 - 11:54
Link
Buy yourself some HP5, load up the Zorki and then develop it yourself... sounds fun to me!
K.
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 01/03/2010 - 12:01
Link
But that would be like, using film and that...chemicals and stuff...cold evenings spent counting "one elephant, two elephant, three..." in a red tinted darkroom loft. I can still smell the fixer on my fingers now.
But when the images emerged, grey and ghostly in the developer...nothing in the digital workflow can compare to that moment because, you're never quite sure until that moment...
Sorry, Kris. Got a bit lyrical then.
Bet you're itching to saddle-up the Horseman and head for some abandoned churchyard... now that spring has almost sprung.
A.
But when the images emerged, grey and ghostly in the developer...nothing in the digital workflow can compare to that moment because, you're never quite sure until that moment...
Sorry, Kris. Got a bit lyrical then.
Bet you're itching to saddle-up the Horseman and head for some abandoned churchyard... now that spring has almost sprung.
A.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 01/03/2010 - 13:06
Link
You don't actually need the darkroom or the freezing attic - have a look at the thread on here about Rondinax developer tanks. I develop HP5 to negatives using one of those, three measuring beakers and the kitchen sink with a simple watch to time it. No mess, not much smell, and I cut out the printing stage by scanning the negatives and then printing the ones I want from the computer.
I agree that it is fun to use paper, an enlarger and the trays of chemicals, but I get more than enough satisfaction from opening the Rondinax lid and pulling out the finished negatives before hanging them up to dry.
Dented filter rings can be straightened and the aperture may just be sticky with age - try unbolting the lens mount and putting a couple of drops of lighter fluid on the mechanism.
I agree that it is fun to use paper, an enlarger and the trays of chemicals, but I get more than enough satisfaction from opening the Rondinax lid and pulling out the finished negatives before hanging them up to dry.
Dented filter rings can be straightened and the aperture may just be sticky with age - try unbolting the lens mount and putting a couple of drops of lighter fluid on the mechanism.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 01/03/2010 - 13:23
Link
Thanks Matt. I'd like to get that old telephoto working again and I'd no idea about scanning negatives and missing out the messy stage. I bet the results are sensational. Isn't a 35mm negavive equivalent to 50mps or something? Or did I just make that up?
Regards,
Andrew
Regards,
Andrew
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 01/03/2010 - 13:34
Link
I'm not entirely sure - I know that the limiting factor is usually the scanner itself. Mine is a fairly decent one (Ion Film2SD) and uses a 5mp scanner, the results are fine printed up to A4 size although I'm not sure how much larger you can go. Here's a sample shot taken with my MX and a 50mm f2 I was testing after cleaning fungus from:
[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x21/Kingofthemountains/Landscapes/PICT0022.jpg[/IMG]
That hasn't been altered in any way, just scanned and uploaded. The scanner produces an SD card full of JPG images and can handle negatives or slides.
[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x21/Kingofthemountains/Landscapes/PICT0022.jpg[/IMG]
That hasn't been altered in any way, just scanned and uploaded. The scanner produces an SD card full of JPG images and can handle negatives or slides.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3447 posts
16 years
Somerset
The mechanism seemed fine, all the elements moving in and out but blurred pictures.
Oh well, I thought, I've got two other 28mm lenses. Just about to put it back in the loft when I noticed the "Skylight" filter was a 2+ close-up lens...
Sad isn't it?
Regards,
Andrew
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05