Composing, anyone?

Banjo

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 05:57
Like many, I struggle with the composition of my images, particularly now that I have some MF cameras (6x6 and 6x7). My usual "tricks" don't seem to cut it.

However, all is not lost, and I came across this (see link, below). Quite some food for thought here.

link: http://www.diagonalmethod.info/

jeeess1967

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 09:38
Hi Banjo, interesting....jeeess
K-5, K-7 and K10D, Pentax 18-135 WR,18-55 WR,Pentax 28-105,Sigma 28-300, Sigma 28-80 (Macro) and Pentax 50-200 WR.

scathontiphat

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 09:05
I'm reading Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye right now. I think it's pretty good for a book on composition. It's a bit academic at times, but that's what I was trying to find (rather than just a "tip" book).

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 11:29
I'm definitely leaning toward the conclusion that it's impossible to come up with any hard rules for composition. It's entirely subjective. I keep meeting people who did GCSE photography ages ago and inevitably they've picked up the personal preferences of their teacher, which they now assume to be the only "right way". I even had one complain that my B&W images were "too grey". Clearly their teacher regarded the developing times as a suggestion and doubled them!

There is no right or wrong way. If the results are properly exposed and pleasing to your eye (and hopefully at least a few others) then you're doing it right.

It is interesting from a psychological viewpoint however to see that there seem to be a few things which western humans are conditioned to find pleasing in an image, be it diagonals, thirds, or whatever. That's why, providing you like the results, chances are that other people will too.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 15:48
Dangermouse wrote:
I'm definitely leaning toward the conclusion that it's impossible to come up with any hard rules for composition. It's entirely subjective.

Well said Dangermouse I agree. Once you start giving yourself rules you give yourself restrictions IMHO

I think the key to getting a great composition is to use your eye, either through the viewfinder or while dragging the crop tool in PP, and not read academic articles about it.

I once watched a TV documentary discussing why Bohemian Rhapsody was such a classic. Totally missed the point and the whole program basically resolved down to "it's great!"
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

johnriley

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 16:17
There are no rules, but there are guidelines that act as a starting point. Those who follow the guidelines will have acceptable images, but it's that extra bit of inspiration that goes beyond guidelines that separates the mundane from the brilliant.
Best regards, John

MattMatic

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 16:22
Interesting link about the Diagonal Method

I found that Michael Freeman's "The Photographer's Eye" was very helpful indeed. It's good to try and do some self-analysis - as to why an image might be acceptable to you - but at the end of the day you need to teach yourself to actually "see" (or visualise) the end result.

Just take lots and lots and lots of images
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.