Compatability of SDHC Cards
Posted 13/04/2009 - 12:42
Link
If the card reader's built in, probably not. If you've got a seperate reader, it would depend entirely on the spec of that.
Dan
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 13/04/2009 - 12:44
Link
Shouldn't be a problem. I can read them on W98SE as well as XP. It's the reader that performs the actual card read and sends it down the USB lead.
shim
shim
Posted 13/04/2009 - 12:47
Link
if the card reader's built in, probably not. If you've got a seperate reader, it would depend entirely on the spec of that.
Hi Daniel - yes, the card reader is built in to the computer
Thanks,Dave
Hi Daniel - yes, the card reader is built in to the computer
Thanks,Dave
K10D 18-55 kit lens and 55-300mm
Posted 13/04/2009 - 12:58
Link
Has it not got a USB port, you should be able to use another reader in that. You can get a 4GB Toshiba card from 7Day shop for about £6 to try it out.
shim
shim
Posted 13/04/2009 - 13:32
Link
Like Shim quoted you can get a usb reader from 7 day shop I have just checked they have a single reader for SDHC Dane-Elect USB MICRO (SDHC)READER/WRITER FOR £3.49 Delivered It says okay for USB 1.1 and 2.0 Older computers generally have USB 1.1 slots I checked the details of the 15-1 USB 2.0 Memory Card Reader £6.49 details do not show if backward compatable to 1.1 You can contact them and check I found my old reader will not read my SDHC Card so I download via cable and usb connection
Brian
K-m DSLR 18-55mm 50-200mm Len Kit Sony H9 Casio EX Z500
K-m DSLR 18-55mm 50-200mm Len Kit Sony H9 Casio EX Z500
Posted 13/04/2009 - 13:42
Link
Briamb wrote:
...they have a single reader for SDHC Dane-Elect USB MICRO (SDHC)READER/WRITER FOR £3.49 Delivered...
That's for Micro SD, which is much smaller than an SD card....they have a single reader for SDHC Dane-Elect USB MICRO (SDHC)READER/WRITER FOR £3.49 Delivered...
This one is the 15-1 reader that Brian mentioned, as far as I know it would just transfer at the rate your computer port was capable of, so if it is USB1.1 it would still work, but just be a lot slower. However, USB2.0 was released back in 2000, so chances are your USB ports will be this standard anyway.
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 13/04/2009 - 13:56
Link
You are right Dan I stand corrected Sorry for wrong information regarding the USB Micro SDHC reader
Brian
K-m DSLR 18-55mm 50-200mm Len Kit Sony H9 Casio EX Z500
K-m DSLR 18-55mm 50-200mm Len Kit Sony H9 Casio EX Z500
Posted 13/04/2009 - 15:32
Link
have a look here....it seems to say that sdhc will work...
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.supermarktpc.ne...
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.supermarktpc.ne...
la
Posted 13/04/2009 - 16:58
Link
Just search around the pound shops for these
The card's mine but the reader does SDHC cards, the best bit is the price!
Just £1.00!!!
The card's mine but the reader does SDHC cards, the best bit is the price!
Just £1.00!!!
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 22/04/2009 - 17:50
Link
Many thanks for your helpful comments, guys.
Will have a ponder!!
Dave
Will have a ponder!!
Dave
K10D 18-55 kit lens and 55-300mm
Posted 22/04/2009 - 22:52
Link
If you check with Microsoft, you can download a patch that will allow it to read SDHC cards. I've done it on my old computer so I can use it as a back-up.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 22/04/2009 - 23:42
Link
Hi, Danny the 38th,
I picked up an Akasa multi-card reader from PC World (because I needed it in a hurry) for about £14. It fits in the front of the PC in a 3.5in drive slot and has an inbuilt USB socket, which was all I really wanted but wasn't available at the store on its own. It handles SDHC and provides a front-panel USB port at the same time. There might be an argument for spending a couple of quid more and getting the convenience of USB without having to rake around the back of your computer, assuming you have a USB "header" on your motherboard.
Cheers
Al
I picked up an Akasa multi-card reader from PC World (because I needed it in a hurry) for about £14. It fits in the front of the PC in a 3.5in drive slot and has an inbuilt USB socket, which was all I really wanted but wasn't available at the store on its own. It handles SDHC and provides a front-panel USB port at the same time. There might be an argument for spending a couple of quid more and getting the convenience of USB without having to rake around the back of your computer, assuming you have a USB "header" on your motherboard.
Cheers
Al
Posted 23/04/2009 - 09:25
Link
pentaxian450 wrote:
If you check with Microsoft, you can download a patch that will allow it to read SDHC cards. I've done it on my old computer so I can use it as a back-up.
Thats interesting Yves, My PC is just over a year old and it wont read SDHC cards, I have to use the reader provided with the card or upload directly from the camera, yet my considerably older laptop will read OK.If you check with Microsoft, you can download a patch that will allow it to read SDHC cards. I've done it on my old computer so I can use it as a back-up.
I was under the assumption that it was the reader itself, if what your saying is correct then XP on my laptop must have included or automatically updated the software for this yet my PC running Vista doesn't/hasn't???
I'm off to look for a patch
Posted 23/04/2009 - 10:03
Link
I think the reader itself has to be SDHC compatible as well. There are firmware updates for some readers to make them SDHC compatible.
But try the Microsoft thing first anyway. Make sure you completely back up your system beforehand in case anything gets messed up.
Failing all that, an internal card reader can be replaced cheaply, as Al said.
But try the Microsoft thing first anyway. Make sure you completely back up your system beforehand in case anything gets messed up.
Failing all that, an internal card reader can be replaced cheaply, as Al said.
~Pete
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


17 posts
17 years
North East
I own a Medion 8383 computer (circa 2004/5, so getting a little long in the tooth now!)and was wondering if anyone could advise me whether or not it would be able to read SDHC memory cards in the card reader?
Many thanks
Dave