Comparison

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 19:43
Hi Everyone,
I did something reckless today. I went out and bought the K-7. I have been umming and ahhing for quite a while and was even considering buying a canon. However, the cost of new lenses as well as a new camera made me see sense. Anyhow, I have only had it a few hours and it will take a fair bit of getting used to, however, I wanted to give you all a comparision between similar shots taken with my K20D and the K-7. You can then tell me if I have made a mistake. No processing has been performed on the new image just cropped out a stray leaf. Both taken with the Sigma 105mm Macro.
K20D

K-7

MarkD

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 20:15
Well it's hard to make a comparison as they are different flowers in different light, but it's certainly sharp enough.
Besides, I can't see anyone being disappointed with the K-7!
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)

aminstar

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 20:57
Well, I can't see the EXIF so not sure if the settings were exactly the same under precisely the same conditions, but at first glance it seems the K7 shot is a bit soft. The K20 one seems sharper. But that could be due to a host of reasons, its hard to compare shots like this as Mark pointed out.

If you want to make a direct comparison you have to mount the bodies on a tripod and use precisely the same settings under the same exact lighting conditions.
Hope this helps
Amin Photo Gallery

scottthehat

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 21:16
as said above there are lots of factors to consider, the light at the time, iso,shutter speed,apature,and also what noise reduction have both cameras been set to if any,

oh and congrats on the new camera, enjoy it,
just keep snapping,

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/scottbenson

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/scottthehat/

CAMERAS = k200d + battery grip.
nikon d300 + battery grip.
LENSES = tamron aspherical DII 18-200mm f3.5/6.3,
nikon 18-200mm afs vr f3.5/5.6 g dx
sigma 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
sigma 170-500mm apo dg
FLASH = samsung sef36pzf flash + more.
Last Edited by scottthehat on 29/08/2009 - 21:16

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 21:28
Cheers Mark, Amin and Scott,

It wasn't an easy decision as you know Scott. Even as I was in the shop I was considering not getting it and rethinking the Canon. It was the assistant that convinced me to stick with Pentax. He said he had gone through all the main makes and believed the K-7 was a good competitor to the main 2. By the way all the data is with the photos on Flickr. As I said I have only had it a few hours and wanted a quick comparison to see if I had made the right decisoion. I know which one I prefer.
The K20D is on ISO 6400, F32 speed 1/320.
The K-7 is ISO 640, F8 speed 1/80.
I might try a true comparison once I have worked out how to set the K-7 up properly. Its a lot lighter than the K20D and smaller which I also like, if it is faster than the 20D then I will be happy.

scottthehat

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 22:50
im glad, you will be happy i know it, also thats a big difference in the settings try both on the same thing same iso, same shutter speed, same apature and lens, also what do you have the in camera noise redction set to, i always had mine on low on the k20d.
just keep snapping,

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/scottbenson

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/scottthehat/

CAMERAS = k200d + battery grip.
nikon d300 + battery grip.
LENSES = tamron aspherical DII 18-200mm f3.5/6.3,
nikon 18-200mm afs vr f3.5/5.6 g dx
sigma 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
sigma 170-500mm apo dg
FLASH = samsung sef36pzf flash + more.

RR

Link Posted 29/08/2009 - 23:18
First one is needlessly suffering noise from using iso6400 when you had plenty of scope to use a different shutter speed or aperture, the second is a little soft from using a shutter speed of 1/80th when using a 105mm lens.
Both of these shots could have been so much better if taken at different settings.

Please don't think I'm trying to be clever or rude, I'd just like to give some honest & sound advice.
I think you could have saved yourself a large chunk of money by buying a good photography guide or taking a short course. The K20d is capable of so much more than you will get from the K-7 unless you learn how to use it properly.
I'd suggest reading up on the basics of aperture, shutter speed, iso & how they all relate to each other. I'm sure then, that as you appreciate the ergonomics of the k-7 you'll be motivated & comfortable to get out & practice to put your new-found knowledge to good use.

Oh & remember to share the results
My Flickr

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 30/08/2009 - 08:07
Thanks.

The pictures weren't taken on the same day. As I said I just wanted a quick comparision and I knew what I had managed to achieve with the Passon Flower previously so used that as the subject matter.

RR, I don't think you are trying to be rude or clever. Thank you though for confirming what I already knew - that despite some people telling me that my shots are great, they are far from it and I have a long way to go before I can think of myself as a photographer rather than somebody who merely takes pictures.

Before yesterday I owned the K200D and the K20D. My main subject is wildlife and on my last safari in April I was made painfully aware of just how slow both these cameras are and so have been considering a faster camera for some time. I have not found the K20D an easy camera to use but have stuck with it despite not being really happy with the majority of my results, and sold the K200D. All the trips I do are photographic courses whether they are in the UK or abroad and all have a professional photographer there to guide and teach. I have also bought a couple of books on photography which I am going through. However, despite this I don't find remembering all the technical stuff very easy its just not my sort of subject, but little my little I retain a bit more. I haven't yet started to set up the K-7 at all. So the mistake I made was loading the pictures on here too early. I will not make that mistake again. I am motivated to practise which might be why I have so many images on my computer now. I am off now to set up the camera and practise some more. When I think I have a photo good enough to post again I will but it may be a long time coming so don't hold your breath

RR

Link Posted 30/08/2009 - 10:43
I hope I haven't discouraged you at all pentaxbabe, please don't stop sharing. I know very little in the grand scheme of things it's just the settings of these 2 shots are a bit off the mark.

I wish I had the confidence and motivation to take a course. You don't need to remember everything at all times. If you remember to check aperture shutter speed and iso for each shot you'll be able to adjust them to get the best shot you can.
My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.