Coming to the end....
Posted 17/12/2025 - 11:43
Link
There's always the chance that 'Pentax' colours come from the glass and bayer layers rather than sensor response so the K-1 might be more of the same.
But it's worth testing for *science*!
But it's worth testing for *science*!
All the gear with no idea
Posted 17/12/2025 - 12:40
Link
Pwynnej wrote:
Even though I am getting 2 Nikon Z lenses to go with my Z8 (14-30 and 105 macro - so yes I can now do wideangle shots with the Lee system without having to invest in the 150 system) I cannot bring myself to sell my current Pentax gear; the joy of using the Limiteds on the K1 (and sometimes the Z-1p and P50) cannot be surpassed and the time will come to add to the Trinity with the 21 Limited.
Surprised you've not tried K-1 for your astro (that's how I read the original post) and you are comparing an elderly Canon Full-frame with 2 fairly elderly Pentax APS-c cameras.
If I wan to go to newer kit, older kit has to be sold. I have no other choice.Even though I am getting 2 Nikon Z lenses to go with my Z8 (14-30 and 105 macro - so yes I can now do wideangle shots with the Lee system without having to invest in the 150 system) I cannot bring myself to sell my current Pentax gear; the joy of using the Limiteds on the K1 (and sometimes the Z-1p and P50) cannot be surpassed and the time will come to add to the Trinity with the 21 Limited.
Surprised you've not tried K-1 for your astro (that's how I read the original post) and you are comparing an elderly Canon Full-frame with 2 fairly elderly Pentax APS-c cameras.
The other issue with getting a K1 is lens cost. Pentax high end used lenses tend to be almost two or three times that of other manufacturers. Canon L series lenses are more abundant and cheaper.
Posted 17/12/2025 - 15:04
Link
SSF1957 wrote:
I have been in constant awe of your astro images and have always enjoyed your comments and insights on the forum.
Best wishes for the future
I agree with the above, would be sorry to see you leave the fold. All the best to you.
davidwozhere wrote:
Then for goodness sake DON'T abandon us totally. Your images have given joy, awe and wonder and I have no doubt you will continue to produce others that go even further. You remain a Pentax photographer no matter what platform you migrate to. We wish you every success but we would also like to follow your journey so please share them here also.
I could not put it better. Then for goodness sake DON'T abandon us totally. Your images have given joy, awe and wonder and I have no doubt you will continue to produce others that go even further. You remain a Pentax photographer no matter what platform you migrate to. We wish you every success but we would also like to follow your journey so please share them here also.
I have been in constant awe of your astro images and have always enjoyed your comments and insights on the forum.
Best wishes for the future
Posted 17/12/2025 - 22:39
Link
Which lenses do you actually need for Astro on the K-1?
Samyang 135/2
DA* 300
Samyang 135/2
DA* 300
All the gear with no idea
Posted 17/12/2025 - 23:44
Link
I wouldn't use those lenses, as I have telescopes at those focal lengths. I would want fast 28, 35 and 50mm for widefield.
Posted 18/12/2025 - 07:25
Link
Ah I see. The Samyang wide lenses are usually a hit with people doing Astro on DSLR.
The Pentax Limited lenses won't be much good as they're intentionally designed to allow a certain amount of field curvature and other 'aberrations' to maintain character.
The Pentax Limited lenses won't be much good as they're intentionally designed to allow a certain amount of field curvature and other 'aberrations' to maintain character.
All the gear with no idea
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1694 posts
20 years
Richmond / Denbigh
Surprised you've not tried K-1 for your astro (that's how I read the original post) and you are comparing an elderly Canon Full-frame with 2 fairly elderly Pentax APS-c cameras.
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon, and a Canon T70.