Comet Neowise

JAK

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 00:56
Anyone else had a go at taking a photo of Comet Neowise?

John K

HarisF1

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 01:15
Comet Cloudwise for me

JAK

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 01:59
O dear, there's always another day, but not many!
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket...
John K

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 09:53
I was thinking about taking a wander down the road tonight to have a look. It's not fully night until after 10 here so I prefer not to do it on a school night.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Mannesty

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 10:26
I think I'm too far south and due to living in a mountainous region of Spain, by the time it's dark enough to see it it's below my horizon to the Northwest, and it's too light when it rises above the horizon to the Northeast.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

barkin

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 11:29
HarisF1 wrote:
Comet Cloudwise for me

Me too

stephen-s

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 22:49
Yes, had a go last weekend I call this one "Heavenly Body" quite why I chose to stand in a grave yard at 2am last Sunday Morning.... Anyway here is my take on Comet Neowise over St. Oswald's in Lee Church Heavenfield, Northumberland.

davidruane

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 06:57
Yes, not having too much success here either

Mannesty wrote:
I think I'm too far south and due to living in a mountainous region of Spain, by the time it's dark enough to see it it's below my horizon to the Northwest, and it's too light when it rises above the horizon to the Northeast.

Today is a great day - they always are if you wake up

alfpics

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 07:59
Here is one from last night from the South Downs; lots of others looking from on the hill as well!

K1 + tamron 70-200
Andy

JAK

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 10:40
Pleased to see some more and that I wasn't the only one with a picture. All in all it's a pretty rare event seeing a comet and an opportunity not to be missed if at all possible. For mine I only had to go out of the back door, no graveyards or hill tops!
Thought it strange the comet didn't get a mention on The Sky At Night.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 18/07/2020 - 10:42

coker

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 13:42
I fancy having a go at this!
Andy, at what sort of time was yours taken, & in what direction / elevation (i.e., above the horizon)?
Being in Wiltshire, I reckon it'd be about the same as in Sussex......

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Last Edited by coker on 18/07/2020 - 13:43

alfpics

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 14:21
Hi Roger,

This was about 23:20pm. My first shot was about 22:40 - ie when I could first make it out with naked eye as a very faint 'smudge'. It is to the North-West. Follow a line through the length of the Plough/ Ursa Major, left to right and it is off there somewhere. Elevation 30deg at a guess. It may be possible to pick it out earlier with binos I suspect, or maybe even a long-ish exposure with a wider angle lens to pick it out in the sky!

Happy snapping and we look forward to the result!
Andy

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 17:20
John, Stephen, Andy, these are brilliant pictures and thank you for sharing them.

I've missed the last few episodes of The Sky at Night, my usual source for such events, and I wasn't aware of the comet being visible.

The forecast tonight for the Pennines North of the Leeds / Bradford conurbation is dry and partly cloudy - I may get lucky.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

JAK

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 18:34
Don't think it's even had a mention on the Sky at Night. It certainly didn't get a mention in the episode just gone. They were showing you how to photograph the sun instead!
This page from NASA shows how to find it. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/how-to-see-comet-neowise/
Basically it's north north west.
I have to admit I couldn't make it out with the naked eye but knew it had to be there as revealed in the photo. It's a rare event and definitely worth capturing for posterity. So even if you can't see it with the naked eye, if the sky is clear of cloud point the camera north and see what you get.
John K

HarisF1

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 19:06
After staring at the Sun they probably can't see the comet in the dark skies.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.