colour popping made Simple

puma

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 10:47
How to colour pop the easy way I hope this helps its a very fast way to do it see link
my web site http://www.swilsonphotography.foliopic.com/
PPG link

AlJones2402

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 11:16
As ever, great tutorial. Thanks Shaun

MartinEA

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 12:08
I promised myself that I would always be honest and truthful in forums so here goes. Please do not use this technique. It went out of fashion in wedding photography about three years ago and the vintage look is fast going that way too.

The technique was discussed at length two years ago in the SWPP forum as the result of a submission for an LSWPP qualification which was rejected with these types of images in.

tyronet2000

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 12:45
What is a LSWPP qualification ? Thanks.
Regards
Stan

PPG

Algernon

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 12:52
tyronet2000 wrote:
What is a LSWPP qualification ? Thanks.

It means your qualified not to have to answer silly questions!

Don't ask me I haven't a clue!

'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

MartinEA

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 12:55
OK,

Categories of Licentiateship

LSWPP - Licentiate of the Society of Wedding and Portrait Photographers

"What we expect of a Licentiate

We are looking for images that show the applicant is in full control of the medium. The images should show correct camera technique, full control of the lighting and the final production of the finished image. Many images fail at the last hurdle because the final digital file or print quality is poor, blemishes that should have been retouched or poor presentation. Very often colour balance is wrong. We expect to see that the photographer is in control of the subjects portrayed and in the case of people, that they are posed in an attractive manner and good expressions obtained.

The images should be presented in such a way that if the judges were members of the public they could not reasonably be rejected. In other words they are “of marketable quality”.

The LSWPP is the basic level that a photographer can obtain. It is made up of a panel of 20 images submitted to a judging panel.

Hope that explains it.
Last Edited by MartinEA on 06/05/2013 - 12:59

puma

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 13:17
All I can say is I do what the customer wants ? not what the others say and if its colour popping they want then they will get it as they do pay the bills NOT THE SWPP forum or you ?

I made this tut to help people learn different styles and techniques in photography like it or not this technique is out there and people do like it.

This tutorial is to help people make new old and different styles and techniques in photography not say what they can or cant use in photography? there is room to play with photographs so who are you to say what's right or wrong in photography? you say ( It went out of fashion in wedding photography about three years ago) well i cant tell you its still out there and people like it,and want it so we as photographers have to do what the customer wants and that's the end of it, or don't do weddings.

and its a bit of fun as well
PPG link
Last Edited by puma on 06/05/2013 - 13:22

MartinEA

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 13:24
Choice is yours but I will tell it straight even if it is hard to hear it. I do not do what customers want, I do, what I do.
Last Edited by MartinEA on 06/05/2013 - 13:26

tyronet2000

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 13:33
Thanks Martin for the detailed explanation. For Pro's I think the points mentioned would apply to all photography regarding image quality etc. I imagine one of the hardest parts of wedding photography would be "crowd control"
Regards
Stan

PPG

puma

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 13:47
MartinEA wrote:
Choice is yours but I will tell it straight even if it is hard to hear it. I do not do what customers want, I do, what I do.

then you should stop doing weddings do you get many now you tell them that???

so lets get this right what your saying is if a costumer says they would like a vitality of photography which includes colour popping you would lose your costumer rather then do it for them???????????
PPG link
Last Edited by puma on 06/05/2013 - 13:50

MartinEA

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 13:51
Hi Tyronet200 those points sure do cover all photography, the licentiateship is basically the starter level.

Crowd control are what ushers are for

puma

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 13:54
I must also stress that I did this tut to show how to do colour popping it was just by chance I use this photo
PPG link

MartinEA

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 14:03
Well Puma, customers book me on what they see. If I put older old fashioned techniques on my website some would want it. Customers want what they see.

Customers do not come to me and say "I will book you if you do spot colouring of my photographs". Some (well only one) may ask after. If they do then how you tell them dictates how they react. If they ask, I explain how it is, I tell them it is an old fashioned technique that is no longer practised by professional photographers.

The one that asked was persistent they wanted it. The photograph was of her son sat on the grass surrounded by confetti. She wanted everything in black and white and the confetti in colour. My contract states extra processing of images is chargeable at £45 per hour. I explained the image would take about an hour and a half to process at the cost of £65.

At that point the image wasn't as needed as she thought and she left it.

I am photographing her sisters wedding in August this year.

Yes I do a lot of weddings and most of my work is from referrals. Does that answer your question I am happy to answer anything you would like to ask.

ps it is not the photograph you used I disliked (I would dislike any photo you used) it is the technique, if it works for you then use it.
Last Edited by MartinEA on 06/05/2013 - 14:07

johnriley

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 14:19
Regardless of what any individual may think of a technique, if someone wants to do a tutorial then so be it, and well done them for making the effort.

No technique is right or wrong per se, it's what you do with it and whether the end result is pleasing or not. Pleasing is in the eye of the beholder and it may well be that customer bases also vary and have very different perceptions and requirements.
Best regards, John

Helpful

puma

Link Posted 06/05/2013 - 14:24
Well that's your choice and this was mine i think it works well on the photograph but the main point of the tut is to show a technique that could help some who doesn't know how to use this technique so as far as iam concerned if I have helped some one that wants to know how to use this technique then that's what i did it for! some like it some don't and your in the don't bit, now let it go and get on with some thing more productive.

Thanks Shaun
PPG link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.