Colour - or not?

i-Berg
Posted 16/10/2010 - 08:11 Link
Flowers are more usually associated with their colours - so I have two in colour and their counterparts here.

Question is - how do the counterparts fare against their colour cousins?

Eucalypt colour
[IMG]http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/i_berg/Broken%20Drought/_IGP1970-1R.jpg[/IMG]

Eucalypt ii
[IMG]http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/i_berg/Broken%20Drought/_IGP1970-1-2R.jpg[/IMG]

Wildflower colour
[IMG]http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/i_berg/Broken%20Drought/_IGP1960-1R.jpg[/IMG]

Wildflower ii
[IMG]http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/i_berg/Broken%20Drought/_IGP1960-1-2R.jpg[/IMG]

C&C welcome, as always.
paulgee20
Posted 16/10/2010 - 08:14 Link
For me personally the Eucalypt works better in colour. However the wildflower pics are equally as impressive. Superb shots!!

Regards


Paul
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20
walkeja
Posted 16/10/2010 - 11:35 Link
Colour, always, no matter the subject!
I have only ever seen one photograph that was just as good in either medium, a photograph of some steps in a public square, where the sun cast very strong shadows. Only one in the millions that have been taken! No contest.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Algernon
Posted 16/10/2010 - 11:39 Link
The wildflower B&W still has colour in it.

I only use B&W when I'm after the old Kodak 126 Instamatic look
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Gwyn
Posted 16/10/2010 - 11:40 Link
I think these both work better in colour. Sometimes b/w works, but in this case I prefer the colour.

Good photos, though the Eucalypt leaf and fly distract somewhat from the blooms.
doingthebobs
Posted 16/10/2010 - 21:39 Link
Quote:
the Eucalyptus leaf and fly distract somewhat from the blooms
I think the leaf puts the flowers in context but the colour version is better for number 1.

Number 2 looks good both in colour and nearly mono, the water drops are more prominent somehow. The cropping is a bit odd though.
Bob
Anvh
Posted 16/10/2010 - 22:31 Link
I'm with Paul here.
I do think you should make the first shot more vibrant though, it looks a bit dull to my eyes.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
aliengrove
Posted 16/10/2010 - 22:39 Link
I really like the mono version of the wildflower: the eucalypt looks better in mono aswell, but I think a more vibrant colour version would be better.
08tiger
Posted 17/10/2010 - 08:06 Link
Colour for me,really like the first shot.
C&C welcome.
Don.
i-Berg
Posted 17/10/2010 - 08:14 Link
Thanks all for your thoughts and comments - I have boosted the brightness on the two eucalypt images, didn't realise they were quite so dark. There is indeed a remnant of colour in the 'monos', and that was intentional.

The cropping - not sure what you meant there Bob? I placed the flower centre on one of the 'thirds' intersections, FWIW.
Stuey
Posted 17/10/2010 - 22:18 Link
Hello i-berg

For me it's colour for number 1 and b&w for number 2

That's my opinion - not that this is backed up by anything in the way of talent or knowledge it's just opinion
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
davidtrout
Posted 17/10/2010 - 22:52 Link
Colour is better for natural history 99% of the time because its the colour that makes the subject so attractive. But I must admit I have a sneaking fancy for that mono version of the wildflower. Maybe its because there's still a hint of a tint in it. Nice set all round.
David
Blythman
Posted 17/10/2010 - 23:44 Link
Agree with those who say colour for number 1. Mono for number 2. I think its the twist with the water drops that make the difference. They add a lot more in mono. A lovely shot
Alan


PPG
Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo