Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Clip on meter help

sraff
Posted 01/11/2008 - 11:54 Link
I've just loaded the correct battery into my model 1 clip on meter and it appears that the meter reads the light correctly and indicates an apature, but when changing the shutter dial the is no movement. Perhaps I'm not understanding the correct use of the meter but I get the feeling it could be a gonna.

Any thoughts?
Thank you
S Raff
Mac
Posted 01/11/2008 - 12:13 Link
Hi S Raff,

Can you verify which camera body you're attaching to?

Thanks,
Mac from Montreal

SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.
johnriley
Posted 01/11/2008 - 12:16 Link
There is more than one model of clip-on meter, so you need the right one in some combinations. There is a slot of the shutter speed dial that needs to engage with the pin on the meter. Then as you turn the dial on the meter the dial on the camera will also turn.
Best regards, John
sraff
Posted 01/11/2008 - 12:16 Link
Sorry should of said...S1a

Thanks
S Raff
sraff
Posted 01/11/2008 - 12:17 Link
The other thing I noticed is that the meter even off the camera only moves round to 250th and not futher (500th, 1000th)?
S Raff
johnriley
Posted 01/11/2008 - 12:38 Link
The S1a itself has click stops up to 1/500 sec that are marked, but has an additional click stop beyond that that delivers a shutter speed of about 1/1000 sec. In those days it was thought a lower priced body should have less specification, but the shutter is the same anyway. This speed is not calibrated however, so could vary from model to model.

There are three basic models of clip on meter.

Model I has an oval dial and is intended for the S and H series models. There are variants of this type.

Model II is rectangular in shape and is also for the S and H series.

Model SL is for the Pentax SL and is a different fitting for the diffent shape of the pentaprism on this camera. This is because the SL is a Spotmatic without the built in meter. The idea of having a Spotmatic with a mater in, marketing a version without a meter and then producing an add-on meter for it seems pretty obscure to me. 1964 logic no doubt.

I can't account for the dial not fully turning. Don't force it, but check that the dial on camera and meter line up when you attach it and that everything is clicked firmly into position. Some previous owner could of course have messed it up for you.
Best regards, John
sraff
Posted 01/11/2008 - 15:45 Link
Cheers John,

What I expected was by adjusting the shutter speed with the meter attached to the camera the meter would then show the relevant apature. As it stands the meter shows an apature but no change when the shutter speed adjusted.

Before mounting the meter I set the ASA to match the film speed and for example 400 and that shows 1/60th on the meter dial, I set the camera to 1/60th and then they meet perfectly. Likewise a could set the meter to say 50 ASA and that gives me a 1/8th reading, set the on the camera and again the meet perfectly. Turn the meter to the relevant H L setting and the dial lines up with a apature reading but does not change when changing the shutter dial.

I'll attempt to attach a few picture of the meter soon.

Thank you,
S Raff
johnriley
Posted 01/11/2008 - 17:09 Link
OK, that looks like Model I. Now when you change shutter speed the meter needle will stay in the same place but the scale should move to show the new aperture value. If it doesn't then something is amiss, and beyond this it's difficult to go without actually seeing the camera and meter.

The operation should be very simple though, so if it isn't then definitely something is wrong.
Best regards, John
sraff
Posted 01/11/2008 - 17:50 Link
I've drawn the conclution that its not working correctly as there is no movement in the aperture dial and the limited shutter dial movement. Luckily I'm within the returns time and will start the hunt for another.

Thank you the help.
S Raff

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.