Circular or linear polariser?

huffee

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 11:43
It's a follow on from a question yesterday but I thought I should start a new thread to make it easier to find.

I'm thinking about getting polarising filter for my k200d. In the book I've got (Magic lantern guide) it says that linear polarisers "cause problems with exposure and may prevent auto focusing...and shouldn't be used with the k200d". Advice yesterday seemed to say that the more expensive circular polarisers weren't really essential. Has anyone had any experience using the linear filters with a k200d

Apologies if it's a stupid question, this is all new to me.

amoringello

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 11:54
Have yet to see linear polarizers give any problems on my K10D. Everyone I have spoken to have not seen problems with this on other current models or brands either. This may have been a problem with older style of auto-focus and metering but does not seem to be much of an issue now.

gartmore

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 13:56
I've not experienced any problems with a linear polriser, I do have a Pentax circular polariser and the instructions state that it is essential to use it with the LX to avoid exposure problems. This is obviously before the arrival of autofocus and how similar the LX's metering system is to more recent cameras I have no idea.

I think the problem you quote may well be an urban myth.

Can you still get linear filters new?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Anvh

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 14:31
Yes... well atleast B+W still have them on their website I believe.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

huffee

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 15:34
Ok so it seems like the book isn't the best, so my next question is can anyone recommend a good beginners book on digital photography.?

jackitec

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 17:16
Digital Photography for Dummies, Please do not take this as an insult it's just the title and I have heard that it is quite a good book you can have a look at it here link
Jack.

gartmore

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 18:19
It is a very good book... I bought it for a friend... honest
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Dwight-Morton

Link Posted 10/04/2009 - 00:58
As for me adding my 2 cents since moving to auto-focus in mid 1980's I went to the Circular Polriser by Tiffen as I knew the firm as a AMERICAN purchased in Cheltenham yet was made in JAPAN, I still use this filter for the 18-55 / 50-200 mm as it same filter mount as my previous Tarmon 28-70 mm for a Minolta Maxxum 5000 and the manual said only use "Circular Polriser" and did think to chance to the other type when going digital in July 2006. I believe that (Tiffen still makes both types) but it's been a while since I purchased any filters accept for for UV filters for the above glass when purchased the *ist DL2.

huffee

Link Posted 14/04/2009 - 15:34
"Please do not take this as an insult it's just the title"

No worries, I think it's a pretty fair description of where I am at the moment.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.