Cheap effective reflectors

mattox

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 09:00
Anyone into using reflectors for outdoor portrait photography. If so, any ideas on what's a good brand to use and if there are any cheap decent brands out there

johnriley

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 09:10
Lastolite and others make a range of reflectors. Even a small one can be useful to throw a bit of light into the subject. We carry small reflectors in our kit.

It's all part of watching and manipulating the light on a subject. A reflector can also be used to shield, say a waving plant in the wind, or perhaps to hold back other foliage as well as reflecting light.

I'm sure there must be some on eBay at low prices that you could try out before buying one from a dealer?
Best regards, John

mattox

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 09:17
Cheers John. I will have a look at eBay and see what I can come up with
johnriley wrote:
Lastolite and others make a range of reflectors. Even a small one can be useful to throw a bit of light into the subject. We carry small reflectors in our kit.

It's all part of watching and manipulating the light on a subject. A reflector can also be used to shield, say a waving plant in the wind, or perhaps to hold back other foliage as well as reflecting light.

I'm sure there must be some on eBay at low prices that you could try out before buying one from a dealer?

mattox

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 09:52

johnriley

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 09:58
That looks cost effective for starters. We usually use white, but the gold will add a nice glow to portraits. Silver is also useful, so why not?
Best regards, John

swarf

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 10:43
I've got an "Ex-Pro" 5 in 1 80cm reflector from Amazon - about 15. it has Gold, Silver, Black, White and translucent. Certainly good value as a starter set.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

Stuey

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 11:59
A piece of a3 or a4 card covered in foil is a very cheap but effective reflector just crinkle the foil a bit before taping in on so the angle of light reflected is in more than one very concentrated direction this depends on the effect you want though
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

doingthebobs

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 12:26
For silver, radiator foil works well. It has foil one side and a white plastic foam on the other side. B&Q .
You can also use the silvered car windscreen blinds. The type that stop the car getting too hot in the summer. You can also keep you car cool in summer with it!

White card or paper, gold foil wrapping paper stuck on card, all work and you can just experiment!

I have a couple of the eBay type that have white, gold,silver and black and find they are really useful. Lastolight quality may be better but I have one of those and it doesn't seem any different.

7dayshop do a range at reasonable prices I think, they come quicker than Chinese suppliers and you have a money back guarantee.

Really worth using though to get the light where you want it.
Bob

mattox

Link Posted 09/11/2014 - 12:59
Thanks everyone for your help. I just purchased this one from eBay. It's cheap but who cares. If it doesn't do the job, well worth the experiment considering the price

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301334326647
Last Edited by mattox on 09/11/2014 - 13:00
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.