Changing Pattern of Lens Range
Posted 30/05/2011 - 12:12
Link
rparmar wrote:
It's true that faster than f/2 can produce some interesting effects, but these are gimmicks in the same way adding effects in PP is a gimmick. Some might like them for aesthetic reasons but it is hardly a reflection of true optics.
This is hard for me to understand. I have always thought of aperture as one of the main creative levers open to the photographer. An ultra fast lens therefore gives you more leverage, particularly important on a crop sensor where narrow dof is harder to achieve. On my film SLR I sometimes used to set my 50mm to f2 and put the point of focus where I wanted it. To achieve the same on a crop sensor DSLR I would need something like the 30mm f1.4. It's true that faster than f/2 can produce some interesting effects, but these are gimmicks in the same way adding effects in PP is a gimmick. Some might like them for aesthetic reasons but it is hardly a reflection of true optics.
And of course it lets you take pictures at a lower ISO than would otherwise have been possible.
Posted 30/05/2011 - 13:54
Link
You are not wrong, but my point is based on optical design. For every stop you increase light the aberrations go up by a factor of nine. It becomes almost impossible to control these beyond a certain point, which is why very fast (significantly faster than f/2) lenses generally have all sorts of odd halo, coma etc. effects on top of their general softness. (Certainly some photographers like these effects and use them creatively, as I already mentioned.)
On top of this, the smaller sensor makes optimising the light pathway inherently difficult, as the density of photo-sites / pixels increases.
I fully understand that Pentax has decided to limit their lenses to around f/2.8 maximum aperture, though personally f/2 is more to my liking. Beyond this point I think one is fighting a losing battle. I simply don't think most people would pay the money for a highly-optimised digital-ready lens at f/1.4. (How many bought the DA*55?) not to mention that this would sacrifice the compact size that is a Pentax competitive advantage.
If one wants greater DOF control without sacrificing optical quality, the answer is a larger sensor.
(I say this as someone who owns not one but two f/1.2 lenses.)
On top of this, the smaller sensor makes optimising the light pathway inherently difficult, as the density of photo-sites / pixels increases.
I fully understand that Pentax has decided to limit their lenses to around f/2.8 maximum aperture, though personally f/2 is more to my liking. Beyond this point I think one is fighting a losing battle. I simply don't think most people would pay the money for a highly-optimised digital-ready lens at f/1.4. (How many bought the DA*55?) not to mention that this would sacrifice the compact size that is a Pentax competitive advantage.
If one wants greater DOF control without sacrificing optical quality, the answer is a larger sensor.
(I say this as someone who owns not one but two f/1.2 lenses.)
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1088 posts
18 years
Ireland
It's true that faster than f/2 can produce some interesting effects, but these are gimmicks in the same way adding effects in PP is a gimmick. Some might like them for aesthetic reasons but it is hardly a reflection of true optics.
There is a lot more to good bokeh than a fast lens. I have lenses from Vivitar and Leica, to give two examples, which produce astounding bokeh at f/5.6.