Caution, do not stop on the tracks (non-Pentax K mount lens)

Arthur Dent

Link Posted 09/09/2005 - 05:07
Just a heds up to all out there. I found a "CPC Auto 28mm Macro CCT" lens on ebay, and put down like ten bucks (about five pounds) on it just for laughs.

Well, I got the lens, beleive it or not. It's actually not a bad lens when used for copy work, flat field and pretty sharp out to the corners.

BUT I didn't check the mount. It went part way onto my *st D, then stuck and wouldn't click on or come off.

I took it to a camera shop, who had no idea what to do. Penatx said to send it in, and I was facing a drive to Connecticuit to get it fixed (not to mention a big repair bill).

Then, doing some research on the Internet, I found a discussion (on Steve's Digicams, I think) about Ricoh mount lenses and a projection that catches in the AF coupler. The poster was able to get his off by slipping a piece of paper between the lens and the camera mount, and pushing in the pin that was causing the trouble.

So I used a raizor to do the same. It seems this lens was meant for Ricoh or Chinon cameras. So I filed down the offending projection and now the lens works fine on my sooper-dooper digital *st D as well as my MX's and K1000. It probably won't work in Auto on Ricoh cameras, but I don't have any of those so what do I care?

But be warned! Examine any third party lens carefully for odd projections and such that could cause problems. You could get stuck in a pickle with a steam locomotive coming down the track!!

johnriley

Link Posted 09/09/2005 - 07:52
There are real dangers in using non-Pentax lenses and that's why any damage caused by them is excluded from guarantees.

Personally, there are so many good pentax lenses around that I would avoid any others. Apart from the Ricoh problem there is also a potential tolerance problem. Lenses that fit too tightly on the mount could cause excessive wear, and inappropriate materials could do the same.

In any event there are very few independent lenses out there that really shine.
Best regards, John

Flink

Link Posted 09/09/2005 - 09:51
Being on a tight budget, I could not resist getting a manual focus, K-mount, Vivitar 35-70mm F/2.8-3.8. Despite the odd push-pull zoom design that I hadn't seen before, I have had no problems with it whatsoever, mount wise. In fact, I actually like the pictures it produces.

I have also bought a generic M42 to Pentax-K adaptor on eBay, but it came without a small piece of metal I see on other adapters. I think it functions as a "fixator", in that the small metal tab clicks into a groove to avoid the adaptor coming off. My adaptor has a small place and hole where that metal tab should be, but it is not there. It worked on my MZ-50, but it would not click-stop like a real K-mount lens (haven't tried it on my DS yet). Anyway, I have heard of a few horror stories about generic adaptors like these getting jammed on the body...

Like most people on this forum, I try to stick to Pentax glass (although I sure would like to try a few M42 Carl Zeiss lenses to see what all the fuss is about).

johnriley

Link Posted 09/09/2005 - 15:48
The carl Zeiss lenses that you are likely to find in M42 mount will almost certainly be East European in origin, and IMHO they are no great shakes either mechanically or optically.

West German Carl Zeiss lenses are a different proposition and you will usually find them on the Hasselblad!
Best regards, John

Arthur Dent

Link Posted 13/09/2005 - 03:23
I actually lucked out and got two Vivitar lenses back when they were making some real jewels!

The first was a 28mm f/2.8, which I needed for a job NOW!!!!! and that's what the local store had in stock. Used, even. Expecting the worst, I was amazed that it's a real quality lens. Just lucky I guess.

I also latched onto the old Vivitar 135mm Close Focus (1:2) lens. That was a great find, most people who have them are unwilling to give them up (I bought it new, and I am not willing to give it up).

But generally, I try to stick with Pentax glass. They didn't do much with the 35mm bodies, being mostly a pro medium format company, but the lenses are on a pro with the best out there! I'm thinking of going after the 100mm macro f/4 A lens, it's supposedly one of the best.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 13/09/2005 - 19:59
Arthur,

You can contact me on .... [removed]

G

Arthur Dent

Link Posted 13/09/2005 - 20:36
George, I'm in the States. I sent you an email, I can jusify a lot of phone calls for business purposes but a call across the pond might be stretching a point!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.