Catch In Focus - A Success!

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/09/2013 - 20:45
Just wanted to share my recent experiences trying out this special technique (is it still unique to Pentax)?

I believe the traditional application for this is when you 'pre-focus' a lens in manual, say over a birds nest for example, then trigger the shutter and wait - when something (eg baby birds) pass into the plane of focus it triggers the shutter.

Well on our Pentax DSLRs is also works with a manual focus lens in a different way. You start slightly out of focus and then turn the focus ring as you move the centre focus point onto your subject - when that point is in focus the centre focus light flashes and the camera fires.
It works a treat in continuous Hi-speed burst mode, especially with moving subjects when you can catch a burst of shots which may have slightly different focus points.

You just make sure that even though you're using manual focus you keep the focus mode selector on AF-S - this allows the autofocus system to keep finding focus for you and trigger the camera when it happens.

Heres a couple of shots I got using the technique recently - both with the K7 & Tamron Adaptal 135mm f2.8 (a lens from the 1970s!)

Thoroughly recommend anyone to try it out if you have a compatable camera!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

JonSchick

Link Posted 01/09/2013 - 21:24
Lovely pictures - are they your daughters? And yes I use this feature quite a lot too. In my case, I find catch-in focus is often more reliable than I am when using an equally aged Tamron 500mm mirror lens:

I agree it's really useful.

Cheers,

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

jeffstclair

Link Posted 02/09/2013 - 10:18
I really like all of these jon, and the shots of the kids are great Nigel.
So when did this "catch in focus" feature start ?is it on the K10 ? 'cos I don't think it's on the K100..jeff...

Mongoose

Link Posted 02/09/2013 - 11:00
with AF lenses I think it's relatively new, but on MF lenses it's as old as AutoFocus itself.

Mount a MF lens, set the camera to AF.S, hold down the shutter release and it wont go off until something hits the plane of focus.

As far as I know the only Pentax auto focus camera which doesn't have this is the ME-F

Brilliant shots both, I tend to use this feature for hand held Macro with my Tamron 90mm on the K-10D
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Last Edited by Mongoose on 02/09/2013 - 11:01

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/09/2013 - 16:57
Yep, it really adds to the versatility of using the old lenses. With active subjects that don't like to stand still and pose it can really help hugely. I was finding it frustrating trying to nail focus traditionally when the subject will move back and forward slightly even when standing still!

So with this method you are sure to catch a few spot on - I like it in 'burst' mode for this reason. The point of activation of the shutter is not always totally precise, and when there is subject movement also it makes sense then to fire off quite a few.

I actually found it useful with the 14mm lens as well. It can often be impossible to eyeball the focus point with this focal length, so the Catch in Focus works nicely too, especially for shooting at the widest aperture.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 02/09/2013 - 16:58
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.