Cannizaro Park Wimbledon

McGregNi

Link Posted 24/05/2013 - 17:05
Another great visit to this gem of a garden near Wimbledon Village. Always manages to reward photographically.

Latest shots here were taken a couple of weeks ago, all on the K7 with Samyang 14mm f2.8. Av mode, most taken at f6.7 - f.8.0.

As always, all cruel & constructive criticism will be well received!

My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

08tiger

Link Posted 25/05/2013 - 11:17
2nd one is my pick, looks like it should be on a box o chocolates or something
C&C welcome.
Don.

McGregNi

Link Posted 25/05/2013 - 20:29
08tiger wrote:
2nd one is my pick, looks like it should be on a box o chocolates or something

I appreciate your reaction Don - hmmm, maybe I should be giving Cadburys or Thorntons a call ??
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

johnriley

Link Posted 25/05/2013 - 22:28
It's a style and you've applied it consistently. The compositions are good but I'm finding the overall effect a little garish for my taste.
Best regards, John

miles500

Link Posted 25/05/2013 - 22:55
I must say that I find this style very pleasing but as a camera club member I have found that styles such as this (I have often practised some more extreme ones!) are a high risk strategy some judges like them but others hate them and dismiss them out of hand. I have found that camera club competitions do not always encourage experimentation, but as we always tell ourselves - if you like a picture, it is a good one and if the judge likes it, it is a bonus!!
Miles

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 26/05/2013 - 10:59
Wow, quite a strong effect! No. 2 looks like a (kitsch) painting! I like it though - something a bit different, and slightly surreal.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/05/2013 - 09:51
Its a surprise to me to have my shots referred to as having a 'style', or an 'effect'. I hadn't thought of them in that sense, that is, as something specifically applied. But I appreciate the ideas. For this type of image I guess it has just become the way 'I do it', although with similar specific processing steps.

Actually Nos 1, 3 & 5 are in fact HDRs - 4 exposures with the RAW conversions and tone mapping done in Photomatix Pro 4. The 'chocolate box' shot (no 2 ) is only one frame, but the sky needed to be edited separately because of the much higher brightness and I wanted to apply a polariser filter (using Sagelight).

davidstorm

Link Posted 27/05/2013 - 10:20
The shots certainly do have a style. I thought they were HDR when I first looked at them, number 2 does look different but follows a similar theme. Personally, the processing is too much for my taste and makes the images look a bit unnatural. They are very detailed, very appealing to the eye and very well done, but just don't tick my particular boxes.

No criticism intended here, this is all down to personal preference. The only other thing I have noticed which could do with correction is that all of the images slope down to the left very slightly. It's not obvious due to the content of the pictures, but it is there.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/05/2013 - 17:31
Thanks for that feedback - I am now intrigued by these ideas of style and the processing options, and how this influences the outcome and people's perception.

I have felt for some time that the range of specific editing tools that we have at our disposal (or choose to use personally) can have a significant impact on the style and emphasis of different elements on the image (eg the amount and specific qualities of detail, depth, colours etc) that can be extracted from any single RAW file. In this way I guess I am saying that these processing choices can become integral to a 'style'.

I am going to re-do a couple of these shots using a more limited and more commonly used range of editing tools (say just ACR plus basic Photoshop edits) - lets see if the style changes, or appeals more widely !

johnriley

Link Posted 27/05/2013 - 18:37
It's pretty obvious that these were HDR though, so as they are all the same in terms of colour and overall feel it does become a style. For these images at least. RAW or not, I think there are clipped highlights in the clouds on some shots, so pulling back on the processing is certainly something to think about.

I'll be very interested to see your alternative approach.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 14:56
you wouldn't believe it John, I put those clipped whites back onto the clouds specifically thinking it made it look less like HDR, ie like a normal technical DR limitation that we would anticipate!! I think the slider involved in Photomatix Pro is ' smooth highlights'.

It will be interesting to try an alternative and simpler approach. I have been wondering if the characteristics of images that people commonly identify as 'natural' is in fact just those characteristics caused by DR limitations that we have all known and accepted as normal for so many years - newer techniques like HDR and other processing controls just contradict these ingrained memories, and whether or not they are more 'realistic', they are interpreted as unnatural. (By realistic I mean a try reproduction of all that the eye could detect as scanning around the scene)

Give me a day or so and continue here with alternative versions, as I said just using the most common tools that people choose.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 15:24
McGregNi wrote:

I am going to re-do a couple of these shots using a more limited and more commonly used range of editing tools (say just ACR plus basic Photoshop edits) - lets see if the style changes, or appeals more widely !

What do you personally think about them?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

johnriley

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 16:12
Quote:
like a normal technical DR limitation that we would anticipate!!

But we wouldn't expect that. There's nothing in these shots that would challenge the camera just taking a straight shot.

To repeat the question above this, what do you personally think of the images?
Best regards, John

WobblyGoblin

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 17:18
McGregNi wrote:
I have been wondering if the characteristics of images that people commonly identify as 'natural' is in fact just those characteristics caused by DR limitations that we have all known and accepted as normal for so many years - newer techniques like HDR and other processing controls just contradict these ingrained memories, and whether or not they are more 'realistic', they are interpreted as unnatural. (By realistic I mean a try reproduction of all that the eye could detect as scanning around the scene)

Interesting. I have thought about this before - what dynamic range we can actually "see". If you look at a scene you are often able to discern more detail in shadows or highlights than the camera can reproduce.

I had read somewhere that this is due to cognitive processing of the information. Your eye adjusts to the highlights and shadows and the brain interprets the information into one cohesive image. That's kind of like an HDR image. I'm not sure if that is proven fact or not (can't remember the source now).
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 18:20
I think the problem, or the beauty, of these images is that everything is evenly exposed and saturated. This creates a flat, shadowless appearance which is like a vibrant painting rather than a lifelike portrayal. Although our eyes can pick up more DR than a camera, we still discern the difference between dark and light areas.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.