Canada Fly Drive

bforbes

Link Posted 20/02/2009 - 22:33
It started as a holiday to Vermont in the fall for the photo opportunity. Then Ottawa Toronto and the falls were tagged on. Now I’m thinking of flying Toronto to Calgary then drive to Vancouver through the Rockies. This would be end of September to mid October. Would our Canadian friends think the drive is recommended at that time of year or would the weather make it hazardous?
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

pentaxian450

Link Posted 20/02/2009 - 23:28
There is no problem with the weather at that time of the year. In mid October, you can likely get "fall colours" in the higher ground. Don't forget to visit Banff National Park while you're driving through. There is also Lake Louise worth a good look. If you drive further up north, you can also see the Columbia Ice Field (a mountain glacier coming down to "die" in the valley) and Jasper Park. Just note that while driving through the National Parks, try to buy anything you might need before getting in the Parks. You can still buy just about anything in those Parks, but at about three times the regular prices. And, while you drive, try not to forget that Canadians are driving on the right side of the road, as opposed to British citizens driving on the "wrong" side. If you have any more questions, don't be shy to PM me. I hope you have a nice trip.

P.S. While you're on your way to Ottawa, give me a call and I'll show you around Montréal.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Last Edited by pentaxian450 on 20/02/2009 - 23:30

bforbes

Link Posted 20/02/2009 - 23:46
Thanks Yves. Off to the travel agent tomorrow, may know more by the end of the day. Thanks again
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

pentaxian450

Link Posted 21/02/2009 - 00:07
bforbes wrote:
Thanks Yves. Off to the travel agent tomorrow, may know more by the end of the day. Thanks again

If nothing is set in concrete, book a few days in Montréal and I'll take you to Quebec city for a day visit. Take my word, it's worth being seen. The old (very old) part of Quebec was rebuilt like it was in the eighteen century, and Québec is the only fortified city left in North America. I would also like to take you to Upper Canada Village or the Village Québecois d'Antan. They are village that have been rebuilt to depict Canadian life in or around 1860. And Old Montréal is worth a visit, too.

fatspider

Link Posted 21/02/2009 - 09:45
Quote:
It started as a holiday to Vermont in the fall for the photo opportunity.....

I can recomend the Green Mountain Inn at Stowe and can also suggest you consider a couple of days in New Hampshire (the Wentworth in Jackson is good), you do either before moving on to Canada.

Quote:
book a few days in Montréal and I'll take you to Quebec city for a day visit

Have you ever though of doing photographic holidays
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Don

Link Posted 21/02/2009 - 21:25
While in Banff, get out your hiking boots and follow one of the trails from downtown Banff up to the mountianside and get a photo or two of the town... And the banff springs hotel (where Kubric filmed the Shining)... been a while since I've been there...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

pentaxian450

Link Posted 21/02/2009 - 21:30
impotentspider wrote:

Have you ever though of doing photographic holidays

If ever I find myself unemployed (fat chance), I'll give the idea a second look.

Don

Link Posted 21/02/2009 - 22:18
there was this cute little windmill motel we stayed at one time...in Canmore if I recall....
Canmore is definately cheaper than Banff.
and I'll second what 'spider said, Pentaxian, getting into an area like Quebec with somebody that understands the language, the culture, and photography is definately worth a few bucks in my opinion!
Last Edited by Don on 21/02/2009 - 22:21

beachboy2

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 00:21
When at Banff, make sure you do the side trip north to the Athabasca glacier. The scenery is just why we all visit Canada! Timing will be perfect for fall colours in the later part of your trip. I would time it a week or so later, perhaps sticking to October. You will see more wildlife in the Rockies in October than September from my limited experience. Have a great time.
bb2

K5, K20D, Bigma, Sigma EX 105, Sigma EX 10-20, Sigma EX 28-70 F2.8, Sigma Ex 1.4TC,
Pentax 135 F3.5, Pentax 30mm F2.8 , Pentax 50mm F1.7, Pentax 55mm F1.8,
Super Taks: 35mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 200mm F4
Vivitar TX 200mm F3.5,Vivitar (Komine)135mm f2.8, Vivitar 2X TC, Vivitar T4 400mm F6.3
Tamron SP 35-80,80-210 F3.8, Helios 44M, Mir 1B 37mm F2.8, Jupiter 9 85mm F2, Chinon 28mm F2.8, 3M-5A 500mm F8 etc etc

pentaxian450

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 01:07
Don wrote:

and I'll second what 'spider said, Pentaxian, getting into an area like Quebec with somebody that understands the language, the culture, and photography is definately worth a few bucks in my opinion!

Who said I understand any of the above?

Don

Link Posted 22/02/2009 - 04:23
ok point taken, I live with a woman, talk to her everyday, and still.....
"Who said I understand any of the above?" applies here too...

link
Last Edited by Don on 22/02/2009 - 04:34

bforbes

Link Posted 28/02/2009 - 20:39
Well it's booked to be done in two legs. First Calgary to Vancouver in 14 days via The Rockies. Then Toronto to Boston in 7 days via Vermont
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

Kenty

Link Posted 28/02/2009 - 21:10
If you do get to Banff do take the Banff Gondola up to the top of Sulpher Mountain. The views are spectacular. Click Gondala

Also a walk round Tunnel Mountain to the Hoodoos is worth a visit - good views of Bow River.

And there is so much more. PM me if you require further suggestions.

The photo opportunities are endless. Take plenty of cards!

John
On a dark desert highway, cool Pentax K5 in my hand.
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.