Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Camera on a Motorbike

Gravelrash
Posted 24/11/2013 - 18:04 Link
Here's a question I'd like to throw to the pack...

I love to take the camera and a couple of lenses out on a bike ride. Always easier to get to the hard to reach spots and I usually pack the camera in a pannier, not ideal and my latest steed doesn't have said bags.

Anyone got ideas for a good solution to having a fairly easy access to camera under such circs?

Currently thinking towards some sort of convenient back pack if anyone would care to share thoughts, experiences with good kit?
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
johnriley
Posted 24/11/2013 - 18:32 Link
I guess there's a lot of vibration with a bike, so maybe a small backpack could be the safest option?
Best regards, John
bettyswolloks
Posted 24/11/2013 - 19:31 Link
I always use a rucksack. Its not the quickest but its the safest way I've found. My backpack has a separate section in the bottom with all the expensive stuff inside, makes it easier to get at. I also have a small ball and socket tripod head bolted on the bike so I can use it as a tripod! I have a top box so I can shove all the stuff I don't need to carry around when I get to where I'm going. I always wanted to pad out the top box to accept all the gear, but never took the risk!
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
dpm
Posted 24/11/2013 - 21:09 Link
tankbag?
RAB
Posted 24/11/2013 - 23:26 Link
I often head out on my bike with camera gear and always use my back-pack.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't dream of using any bike-mounted luggage for any of my camera gear. I wouldn't risk the general vibration or shock from pot-holes.
"He's not the Messiah, ..."
Gwyn
Posted 25/11/2013 - 10:03 Link
My son uses a tank bag.
FAT8BIKER
Posted 25/11/2013 - 21:47 Link
If you where to come of the bike and land on your back with a rucksack full of hard camera gear, you could do some real damage to your spine.
Use a tank bag or proper designed metal panniers.
Cheers
Dave
kvx
Posted 25/11/2013 - 22:16 Link
ive always used a decent rucksack
Gwyn
Posted 26/11/2013 - 10:02 Link
FAT8BIKER wrote:
If you where to come of the bike and land on your back with a rucksack full of hard camera gear, you could do some real damage to your spine.
Use a tank bag or proper designed metal panniers.
Cheers
Dave

Excellent point!
K10D
Posted 26/11/2013 - 13:17 Link
Carried cameras in the panniers on an R80RT since 1984 in hard and soft (Lowepro) bags.

Never had an issue.

As for a back pack, great. Also carry your security chain around your torso so it can also break bones and tissue in a fall.

Solid objects in pockets also help to increase damage to the outer body areas and ribs if correctly placed.

It's not really that big of an issue. Some class it as natural selection.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
aliengrove
Posted 26/11/2013 - 14:00 Link
I'm looking for a solution to the same problem, though I also want to be able to carry a tripod on the bike without having it on my back. The panniers I have looked at that will fit my bike (Harley Sportster) don't seem ideal for camera gear. I'll probably get a rear luggage rack, not ideal as my camera bag can be quite heavy. The tripod I haven't worked out yet.
doubled
Posted 27/11/2013 - 14:15 Link
I used to put my gear in a tank bag and a tail pack on my EXUP and it didn't seem to cause any problem. Having said that, I probably wouldn't have been too comfortable if I had a single cylinder or a twin!

D
ADLONG
Posted 27/11/2013 - 19:44 Link
Gravelrash wrote:
Here's a question I'd like to throw to the pack...

I love to take the camera and a couple of lenses out on a bike ride. Always easier to get to the hard to reach spots and I usually pack the camera in a pannier, not ideal and my latest steed doesn't have said bags.

Anyone got ideas for a good solution to having a fairly easy access to camera under such circs?

Currently thinking towards some sort of convenient back pack if anyone would care to share thoughts, experiences with good kit?

ADLONG
Posted 27/11/2013 - 19:48 Link
I've used tank bag and/or top box with no apparent problems and carried a collapsible ruck sac to carry when off the bike. Guess a gorillapod would fit in a topbox. Tony
Gravelrash
Posted 02/12/2013 - 11:37 Link
Given all the useful considerations people have mentioned I may see if I can get a bag to strap to the sissy bar.

I have been unfortunate enough to have a few tumbles on the bike and as Dave and K10D point out, it's not ideal to be attached to a hard bulky object when you hit the deck.

I'm thinking I could offer some padding under the camera to help with the high frequency shocks.

Thanks for your thoughts folks.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Edited by Gravelrash: 02/12/2013 - 11:38

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.