Buy a 135 format?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

Anvh

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 13:42
Simple poll to see how many members here would really consider buying a digital 135 format Pentax camera and in what price class and for what reason not.

I hope that I cover most options with this.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 06/06/2010 - 13:45

terje-l

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 14:07
No, don't see any point really. The APS-C sensor is good enough, imho. And it can only improve in the future.

K10D

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 14:23
Stefan,
Why would Pentax charge the above prices you have quoted when they charge a lot less than the competition for the DMF?

WRT new lenses, how many within the group have a 31mm Ltd or other 135 format lens?

I see you have a D-FA 100 macro Stefan:

Angle of View: 15 degrees (24.5 degrees with film SLR)

So look at it this way, your loosing nearly ten degrees FOV. No problem if you move further back? Not if you don't mind loosing subject image size that a FF sensor would retain.

Regards

Mongoose

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 14:27
Nope, APS-C does everything I need it to do, I'd rather see Pentax spend their time and money making really top notch high end amateur/semi-pro cameras which I can actually afford.

If Pentax ever did produce a 135 format body I have no doubt it would be fantastic, but I will never be able to afford a camera of that type baring significant reductions in the cost of sensors.

flossie

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 14:30
First two options are prejorative, as they make assumptions about size and cost.

As has been said many (many) times before, the reason FF DSLR's are so big, heavy, and expensive is because they are aimed at the Pro/Journo market - who want big grips, long battery life, ruggedness, etc. Strip all of that out, and you could make a FF version of the K7 - all you really have to do is change the actual sensor - no more work than putting a different CPU in a PC...
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

Anvh

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 14:47
K10D, you need to have a base line, I could easily said entry level 135 format and you would come to the same conclusion for the price range.

I don't know what you are getting at with the lens comment, yes I've one lens that fits on 135 format sensor so what about my other lenses?
There is now a quite a big Pentax user group that never had a pentax film camera so it's logical to think they don't have so many film lenses and if they bought new they would buy new DA lenses.

flossie wrote:
First two options are prejorative, as they make assumptions about size and cost.

Since there actually is no Pentax 135 format you need to do something so you look at what the rest is doing. If you've another suggestion I'm more then happy to hear it.

ps. this not a topic to discus 135 format vs APS-C more the viability if pentax would have a decent market if they would follow Nikon and Canon example of 135 format.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 06/06/2010 - 14:49

K10D

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 14:54
Base line are good Stefan.

Having a poll on this is not going to change anything.

WRT the 100mm lens, it does impact that lens more as its a macro. Just for the record, I also use mine on an APS sensor.

Regards

womble

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 15:04
flossie wrote:
...all you really have to do is change the actual sensor - no more work than putting a different CPU in a PC...

Plus a bigger mirror, a bigger focusing screen, a bigger lightbox, a bigger shutter....

You could make a small FF camera, I am sure (and if anyone can Pentax can, they have made a speciality in that sort of thing) but it would be much more work than just stripping out the sensor in a K-7.

If Pentax made a K-7 sized FF camera for sub-£1000 I'd consider it for the viewfinder alone. I have plenty of FF glass! But I am not yearning for FF. I am mainly concerned that Pentax stay in business and think that they really need to have a wider range of models available. I don't think any of us would disagree that to someone newly looking for a camera, having only two current models does look mighty thin.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Anvh

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 15:17
K10D wrote:
Base line are good Stefan.

Having a poll on this is not going to change anything.

I was not hoping to change anything, just wanting to see if they would buy into a 135 system if Pentax would offer a similar camera as Nikon or Canon.
By the looks of it many think they are fine where they are and are considering it if they would be cheaper.

womble wrote:
flossie wrote:
...all you really have to do is change the actual sensor - no more work than putting a different CPU in a PC...

Plus a bigger mirror, a bigger focusing screen, a bigger lightbox, a bigger shutter....

Don't forget bigger heavier lenses.
I mean the DA*50-135 is quite small when comparing to other 70-200 f/2.8 lenses
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

K10D

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 15:27
Just a line with the on-going 135 / 645D discussions...

Are not 645 cameras and lenses bigger and heavier than FF(135) cameras and lenses?

Stefan, you support the 645D yet not a FF system quoting size and weight as an issue.

slight contradiction here maybe?

Regards

Gary

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 15:30
Well the d700 was the closest option. Spending 1800 on a camera is something i'd only do if I won the lottery etc. But if I had the money, I would go for it, if Pentax came up with a K-7 proportioned FF model.

Anvh

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 17:01
Gary, what do you mean?
I never said it was a problem for me but some people even find the APS-C size cameras too big and they go for the 4/3th system also the opposite happens.
I never said it's an issue but it's a difference in system that might be important for some people and that's why it's mentioned because it can be the factor to use APS-C camera instead of 135 format camera.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

K10D

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 17:21
Anvh wrote:
Gary, what do you mean?
I never said it was a problem for me but some people even find the APS-C size cameras too big and they go for the 4/3th system also the opposite happens.
I never said it's an issue but it's a difference in system that might be important for some people and that's why it's mentioned because it can be the factor to use APS-C camera instead of 135 format camera.

I was picking up on the weight reasons Stefan. I was not isolating you.

There seems to be no real reason why the 135 format bodies available are the size and weight that they are.

As a matter of comparison the Canon 5D + battery weighs 895g and a K20D with battery weighs 800g. (DPReview data). Not a lot in it.

The D700 without battery weighs 995g.

Regards

Anvh

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 17:28
Well you did said my name

APS-C DSLR will always be smaller because of the reasons Kris said.
womble wrote:
a bigger mirror, a bigger focusing screen, a bigger lightbox, a bigger shutter....

If they can make the 135 format smaller by some technique they can also do that with the APS-C DSLR.
The same thing is with the high ISO performance of the 135 format sensor will always be a step better because of the large size because if they can make a good APS-C sensor they can use the same thing but bigger for 135 format.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 06/06/2010 - 17:29

K10D

Link Posted 06/06/2010 - 17:40
Anvh wrote:
Well you did said my name

APS-C DSLR will always be smaller because of the reasons Kris said.
womble wrote:
a bigger mirror, a bigger focusing screen, a bigger lightbox, a bigger shutter....

If they can make the 135 format smaller by some technique they can also do that with the APS-C DSLR.
The same thing is with the high ISO performance of the 135 format sensor will always be a step better because of the large size because if they can make a good APS-C sensor they can use the same thing but bigger for 135 format.

Agreed, smaller sensor = smaller everything else.

Remember this?

link

Either DPR or Pentax muffed up when they say that it's compatible with the BG10 battery grip, where does one attach the grip?

Regards
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.