Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Builth Wells, Sun 27th, tips / meet?

Unlocker
Posted 25/04/2014 - 11:04 Link
Hi all!

Will hopefully be surprising Fiona with a trip to Wonderwool at the Royal Welsh Showground this Sunday and as this is not my thing I do plan on leaving her there and going out with the camera! As I don't often get the chance to be in this neck of the woods I was wondering if anyone had any landscape / wildlife tips of the local area or possibly fancy meeting up?

Don't mind travelling a bit if it's worth it but will have to work around the show opening hours of 10-4.30 with a possibility of a sunset on the way back. Obviously this is all weather dependant so if anyone has any ideas, please do let me know!
Stuey
Posted 25/04/2014 - 19:38 Link
We had dinner at the White Horse early March - nothing spectacular but decent food and decent value

There is the red kite feeding at Gigrin Farm, Rhyader around 14 miles north of Builth Wells.

I think at this time of year the feeding starts at 3pm but you may need to check this.

The kites don't descend straight away and some of the best shots, weather dependent can be towards the end of feeding.

I am not aware of anything else without travelling further afield
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Unlocker
Posted 26/04/2014 - 18:01 Link
Thanks Stuey, completely forgot about Gigrin, even though we have plenty of red kites around here it's a sight worth seeing, not to mention if it's raining I can sit in a hide!
Stuey
Posted 26/04/2014 - 22:27 Link
No Problem - it's just a shame I can't think of anything else

Gigrin is around 60 miles from where I live but I am way too busy tomorrow to make it down

K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
alfpics
Posted 26/04/2014 - 23:09 Link
Gigrin farm feeding time is 3pm during the summer - was there this last Thursday - brilliant!
Andy
AlJones2402
Posted 27/04/2014 - 01:27 Link
Maybe a little late now but have you thought about Elan Valley. Beautiful scenery when the light is right.
Unlocker
Posted 27/04/2014 - 22:07 Link
Just got back in from a long day out!

Ended up having a drive around Elan Valley before heading to Gigrin, shame the weather wasn't better but did find a couple of small waterfalls and got some great shots of a fox at Gigrin, these will have to wait as I now need my sleep!

Thanks all for the tips and advice, greatly appreciated and meant that I didn't have to spend the day at WonderWool!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.