Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Blue Bridge

Lubbyman
Posted 26/03/2020 - 22:22 Link
It really is known locally as the Blue Bridge. Taken while combining dog walk, collecting medical supplies and permitted daily exercise. Not quite centred, my excuse is holding a dog on a lead while trying to see and line up a Q-S1 screen in bright sun. Q-S1 + 02 lens.

And yes, I did let the person cross the bridge before crossing it myself, thus staying well separated.

Comment Image

Steve
cardiffgareth
Posted 27/03/2020 - 17:05 Link
I like the lead in line to her but the shadows could do with lifting to make her stand out a bit more in my eyes
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Lubbyman
Posted 27/03/2020 - 19:01 Link
An interesting thought, Gareth, thanks. I was thinking 'bridge and shadows' at the time and this was the last of a few shots (alignment problems with dog pulling on lead!). The walker wasn't there in the other shots and I've been thinking since then that she's a useful accessory in the picture rather than the subject. I'll try get my mind to do a U-turn and see what happens!

Steve
cardiffgareth
Posted 27/03/2020 - 19:32 Link
I think the picture itself tells a story and without the person there I think it would feel like it was missing something as the lines then point to an empty space so she definitely need to be in the picture

I know that feeling with trying to shoot images with the dog on the lead, I once had the bright idea of taking some long exposure seascapes and had Ted with me but it was a nightmare as he's just ruined every picture by running into it, soaking dry rocks in my foreground with wet dog splashes, got me soaking and also all of my camera equipment so after that I vowed next time he comes out with me when he is much older so just stays put
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Lubbyman
Posted 28/03/2020 - 10:59 Link
cardiffgareth wrote:
I vowed next time he comes out with me when he is much older so just stays put

Good luck - my dog is 13+ and still won't stay put, won't even come back when called. That's why she has to be on a lead.

cardiffgareth wrote:
I think the picture itself tells a story and without the person there I think it would feel like it was missing something as the lines then point to an empty space so she definitely need to be in the picture

Confession time - I actually like empty spaces where you think there should be something, paths leading to nothing, people walking out of the picture, that sort of think. It's incomplete, uncomfortable, unsettling, unfinished, but I rather like that sort of feeling. That's not to say I don't like the opposite as well, though!

Steve
MrB
Posted 28/03/2020 - 11:34 Link
The near symmetry with the bold central shadow is good. It might also be possible to make a 'bridge and shadows' image in a right hand side crop, to give more emphasis to the crisscross shadows.

Philip
Lubbyman
Posted 28/03/2020 - 15:04 Link
MrB wrote:
It might also be possible to make a 'bridge and shadows' image in a right hand side crop, to give more emphasis to the crisscross shadows.

Thanks. That, too, is a good idea. There's more to this picture than I first thought!

Steve
Sry
Posted 28/03/2020 - 15:18 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
Confession time - I actually like empty spaces where you think there should be something, paths leading to nothing

I'm with you Steve. Your image above, without the human presence, would be a fine example of this, as the path after the bridge seems to go off to an angle, making the bridge look like it is leading nowhere reallly, or to a dead end in the hedge - there would be a sense of mystery, or a questioning at least.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.