Blu-ray
Posted 29/07/2009 - 22:29
Link
Am I the only one with this idea here?
I was first thinking of burning them on DVD but since they are all raw files that means I need a lot of DVDs and using dual layer would help to shrink the numbers but they are also more expensive and quite close to the price of BD so not really a option I believe.
I know some here back up on DVD, can I ask how many DVDs you have?
I was first thinking of burning them on DVD but since they are all raw files that means I need a lot of DVDs and using dual layer would help to shrink the numbers but they are also more expensive and quite close to the price of BD so not really a option I believe.
I know some here back up on DVD, can I ask how many DVDs you have?
Posted 29/07/2009 - 22:55
Link
Stefan,
have a look here http://www.delkin.com/products/archivalgold/archival-blue-ray-delkin.html
I have some of their Archival Gold DVD-R discs since I had some cheaper DVD+Rs give up after only a few years!
They are now doing a Blu-ray which is supposed to last for 200+ years. Not cheap though
have a look here http://www.delkin.com/products/archivalgold/archival-blue-ray-delkin.html
I have some of their Archival Gold DVD-R discs since I had some cheaper DVD+Rs give up after only a few years!
They are now doing a Blu-ray which is supposed to last for 200+ years. Not cheap though
Posted 29/07/2009 - 23:10
Link
Greytop, DVD+R are better for long storage then -R because of the way they are written but it also depend on the make how long they last as you've experience.
The BD in your link looks really good but really expensive though and not worth the money I believe.
Verbatim has always being good to me and a 5 pack BD is £21.34.
I know their DVD are very good but I've no idea how their BD are, they only say Extremely long archival life... yeah not very helpful
The BD in your link looks really good but really expensive though and not worth the money I believe.
Verbatim has always being good to me and a 5 pack BD is £21.34.
I know their DVD are very good but I've no idea how their BD are, they only say Extremely long archival life... yeah not very helpful
Posted 30/07/2009 - 09:04
Link
Mike, if you are referring to Delkin, they say quote "Using N.I.S.T.'s (National Institute of Standards and Technology) accelerated aging process to test the longevity of DVD-R media, the Archival Gold DVD-R has been shown to safely store your images for more then 100 years."
Posted 30/07/2009 - 09:33
Link
So in 100 years time when they don't work you can go wrong and strangle the MD's offspring's cat? I don't know what you do to get long terms storage but I wouldn't trust any of these technologies to the extent I'd doubt that I'd have a reader inclined to read the media in 20 years time.
Anyone remember that BBC Micro Doomsday project which I believe is recorded on media/format that no-one can read any more?
Mike
Anyone remember that BBC Micro Doomsday project which I believe is recorded on media/format that no-one can read any more?
Mike
---------------------------------------------------
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Posted 30/07/2009 - 09:55
Link
Two hard disks is the way to go, in my view. Replace when they start to get unreliable. Disks are very cheap now, and will get cheaper. It's far easier to back-up one hard disk to another than back-up a cupboard full of optical disks.
G
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 30/07/2009 - 09:59
Link
This raises the question of how much bigger image files will become. We are reaching the stage where resolution is limited by lenses rather than by sensors, and I don't see that there is much scope to squeeze a lot more resolution out of a lens. Of course, we could go over to 48 bit or 96 bit colour, but I am not sure that will give much benefit. How many colours can the eye see?
So I think RAW files will top out at perhaps 50MB, and with improvements in hard disk technology, soon that will seem small.
G
So I think RAW files will top out at perhaps 50MB, and with improvements in hard disk technology, soon that will seem small.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 30/07/2009 - 10:06
Link
I agree, my preference is the hard disk approach, at least for my photography backups.
I only tend to use DVD's for storing family video footage. In this case I think it is worth investing in media that has at least the potential for outlasting 'run of the mill' DVD media found at PC world and Staples.
I only tend to use DVD's for storing family video footage. In this case I think it is worth investing in media that has at least the potential for outlasting 'run of the mill' DVD media found at PC world and Staples.
Posted 31/07/2009 - 16:28
Link
I now use harddisk as well but I've some photos I simple want a third copy off so DVD or BD would be perfect then. I was thinking of using DVD but for 20gb I would end up with 5 DVD's so 1 BD looks like a better option if it proves more reliable then DVD.
Posted 31/07/2009 - 18:35
Link
Another vote here for the hard disk approach, hourly backups to two 1TB drives on a weekly (sometimes monthly :blush rotation connected to my wireless router/NAS.
I'm also starting to use Flickr as a ad hoc backup of my better images. There aren't many of them so the upload time isn't too hideous I do realise Flickr only saves the jpeg and I don't know what level of lossy compression they apply, but at least it's at 100% resolution.
Another option would be Mozy, unlimited space for $5 a month. I already use them for offsite document backups. That's only a couple of gigabytes, not the dozens/hundreds of gigabytes an good image backup would be, but once the initial upload is done incremental backups are pretty quick. Plus archived images won't be changing often, so the incremental backup should be even faster. Mozy have a free 2GB option if you want to trial it, and they support both Mac and Windows.
I used to use a lot of DVDs for backups, hundreds of them. I stopped for several reasons: 1) due to their unreliability, 2) the price/gigabyte ratio of hard disks is now very similar to DVD (especially compared to expensive archival DVDs, 3) My hundreds of backup DVDs take up so much damn room compared to a HD, and 4) DVD burners only have a limited number of burns before the laser will crap out. The figure is surprising low - hundreds rather than thousands.
I'm also starting to use Flickr as a ad hoc backup of my better images. There aren't many of them so the upload time isn't too hideous I do realise Flickr only saves the jpeg and I don't know what level of lossy compression they apply, but at least it's at 100% resolution.
Another option would be Mozy, unlimited space for $5 a month. I already use them for offsite document backups. That's only a couple of gigabytes, not the dozens/hundreds of gigabytes an good image backup would be, but once the initial upload is done incremental backups are pretty quick. Plus archived images won't be changing often, so the incremental backup should be even faster. Mozy have a free 2GB option if you want to trial it, and they support both Mac and Windows.
I used to use a lot of DVDs for backups, hundreds of them. I stopped for several reasons: 1) due to their unreliability, 2) the price/gigabyte ratio of hard disks is now very similar to DVD (especially compared to expensive archival DVDs, 3) My hundreds of backup DVDs take up so much damn room compared to a HD, and 4) DVD burners only have a limited number of burns before the laser will crap out. The figure is surprising low - hundreds rather than thousands.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 31/07/2009 - 20:04
Link
At home we have 2 old desk top machines, two lap tops and a large external hard drive. I manually copy all photo's over to all the machines and external drive. Very low tech and of course if we have a fire everything will be lost. Mind you that's just the same as it has always been with slides and negatives anyway. I used to make back ups to CD and then DVD but gave up doing that a year or so ago.
/Ian
/Ian
K10D & Super A user.
Posted 31/07/2009 - 20:39
Link
It would be Once every 6 months or even to a year till I've a BD full with photos so internet storage with monthly fee isn't worth the money.
Also your storage is in the hands of others so what happends when they will go bankrupt?
I'm always sceptical with those things so don't worry, i just don't like giving my photos out of my hands.
ps. you always go off topic you know, we started with DVD and BD and now it's about so what every storage method.
Also your storage is in the hands of others so what happends when they will go bankrupt?
I'm always sceptical with those things so don't worry, i just don't like giving my photos out of my hands.
ps. you always go off topic you know, we started with DVD and BD and now it's about so what every storage method.
Posted 31/07/2009 - 23:57
Link
Anvh wrote:
It would be Once every 6 months or even to a year till I've a BD full with photos so internet storage with monthly fee isn't worth the money.
Also your storage is in the hands of others so what happends when they will go bankrupt?
I'm always sceptical with those things so don't worry, i just don't like giving my photos out of my hands.
$5 a month for automatic unattended incremental backups doesn't sound like much to me. Plus Mozy is owned by EMC - it doesn't seem too likely they will go bankrupt. Transfers are all encrypted of course. It would be Once every 6 months or even to a year till I've a BD full with photos so internet storage with monthly fee isn't worth the money.
Also your storage is in the hands of others so what happends when they will go bankrupt?
I'm always sceptical with those things so don't worry, i just don't like giving my photos out of my hands.
Anvh wrote:
ps. you always go off topic you know, we started with DVD and BD and now it's about so what every storage method.
Right you are. Sorry buddy ps. you always go off topic you know, we started with DVD and BD and now it's about so what every storage method.
Just trying to point out a few alternatives. It seems to me there are valid reasons why more people and companies don't back up to DVD and BluRay. However if you'd prefer to restrict your thread to two rather unpopular backup mediums then of course that's fine with me I shall slink off and leave you alone, sorry!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



10412 posts
18 years
Dordrecht,
the Netherlands
DVD+R goes up to 70 year reliably but you have a good change high quality DVD still work after 100 year when stored correctly.
Does someone know what the lifetime is of todays BD?
I've searched the web but couldn't find anything conclusive.
K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ