Blind photographers

Gwyn

Link Posted 20/01/2010 - 10:26

JohnX

Link Posted 20/01/2010 - 11:21
I wonder if they have a printing process or similar that allows the photographers to 'see' or otherwise experience their results?

Some real imagination and talent there!

Humbling.
Last Edited by JohnX on 20/01/2010 - 11:21

promhandicam

Link Posted 20/01/2010 - 13:32
It is quite possible to produce tactile images from photographs - http://www.jamespatten.com/tactilephoto/ - this is one example and it has been done for many years using things like swell paper and thermoforms before the advent of cnc routers. However for someone who is completely blind ie. is classified as having NPL (no perception of light)it is very difficult for them to interpret correctly anything other than relatively simple tactile images unless the tactile pictures are properly produced. This means that if you want to produce something meaningful then you have to simplify the image and have some way of identifying between different parts of the picture. An example would be that to produce a tactile picture of the photo where the children are in the sea with the beach in the foreground you would have to give different textures to the different areas eg diagonal lines for the water, horizontal lines for the sky, dots for the beach and possibly a symbol for a person. This would then need a corresponding key for the blind person to be able to interpret it. You could perhaps have this 'map' together with a purely 3D rendering of the image but without it a blind person would not be able to interpret what the picture was representing without some other information.

I would imagine that most of the people involved in the project although legally blind have some degree of light perception. The WHO definition of blindness is having 'a visual acuity of less than 3/60 or corresponding visual field loss to less than 10 degrees, in the better eye with best possible correction.' Therefore many people who are legally blind are able to distinguish between light and dark or have a very narrow visual field - similar to going through life looking through a 300mm lens. Many blind people I know have pretty good mobility not only because they are skilled in using a long cane but also because they are able to see something of their surroundings. Looking at the slideshow, I think the fact that some of the photos have bold areas of light and dark - the tunnel image as an example are evidence that the people taking them have at least reasonable perception of light. This isn't to take anything away from the photographs or the photographers but hopefully makes things clearer with regards to blindness and photography.

Steve

JohnX

Link Posted 20/01/2010 - 16:15
Thanks Steve. Re definition of blindness, that would explain, to some extent, why the voice-over included reference to obscuring the view-finder, etc.
Last Edited by JohnX on 20/01/2010 - 16:16

fatspider

Link Posted 20/01/2010 - 17:12
A bit off topic here but I hope this thread serves as a reminder for all you guys into DIY to use safety goggles whenever required, I cetainly do!
One slight accident and your photography hobby is well up the creek.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.