Bittern K3 AF check

Blythman

Link Posted 10/11/2013 - 20:41
Not for critique ... lol

A bittern lifted from reeds to the right this morning. By the time I got onto it, it was just about to go behind reeds in front of me. Its not properly in focus, but I had the new AF Hold feature switched on and set to Medium. Seems to me that its tried to hold onto the bittern, whereas the K5 would have lost it completely.

Early days, but looking hopeful, that I might up my keeper rate for birds in flight

Alan

PPG
Flickr

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/11/2013 - 20:46
Would the K5 have started to hunt back and forth? I've not heard of the 'hold' feature - tell us more How is it controlled, and will it allow tracking within a certain range? (Presumably thats where the 'medium' comes into it).

If it can do it better, thats good news ! Now, Alan, I must mention that sloping horizon, and as for the noise in the blacks .....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 10/11/2013 - 20:47

Blythman

Link Posted 10/11/2013 - 20:53
Back up JPEG straight from card 2. Only PP an increase in contrast explains the slope Nigel

Re the HOLD feature. See the below extract from the manual.

The following settings pertaining to AF operations can be set
in the E3 menu..........

15. AF.S Setting Focus-priority (default setting),
Release-priority
16. 1st Frame Action
in AF.C
Release-priority (default setting),
Auto, Focus-priority
17. Action in AF.C
Continuous
Focus-priority (default setting),
Auto, FPS-priority
18. Hold AF Status Off (default setting), Low,
Medium, High

In [18. Hold AF Status], you can set whether to immediately
reactivate AF or to maintain the focus for a certain amount
of time before activating AF when the subject happens to
move out of the selected focusing area after being focused.
The default setting is to immediately activate AF when
focusing is unsuccessful.

No additional explanation on the feature, so a bit of trial and error.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/11/2013 - 21:05
Thanks for that! As I've said elsewhere, the new AF features are really something to get to grips with, with many more options and things to consider.

I was concerned about losing the AF.C option on the lever control, as I'd always found that important and useful to use quickly as things changed around you. I feel that having to delve into the menus more will slow things down. Admittedly, on the K7 there's not the same depth of choices though. How do you find it choosing the right setting on the K3 Alan?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Blythman

Link Posted 10/11/2013 - 21:09
Not an issue Nigel, because I focus using the back button. AF is in AF-C permanently, with the rare exception of using manual glass with catch in focus.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

truckerathome

Link Posted 10/11/2013 - 23:21
Do you find the back button for focus is in a better position than on the K5. I personally think that it was too low on the K5 and found it somewhat awkward at times to use. It now looks like it is at the top of the thumb grip in a much better position (presuming it is still the AF button). Also do you find the focussing to be quicker. I am especially interested as I await a review on the K3`s focussing ability, specially for sports as I find the tracking on the K5 to slow most of the time. I am debating whether to move away from Pentax and to get to a Canon EOS 70D + lenses just for that reason.If the K3 lives up to the hype (faster focussing) then it may well make me change my decision.

Martin

Blythman

Link Posted 11/11/2013 - 00:48
Might change as I get used to the K3, but at the moment I prefer the back button position on the K5. I hit the live view button occasionally on the K5. If they'd moved that, which they have done on the K3 that would have done me.

I've thought about buying a 7D quite a few times myself, but AF aside the K5 is a better all round camera in my opinion. Its all about compromises whichever system you go with. I've been happy shooting at ISO 5000 with the K5 while I have a mate who wouldn't shoot above ISO 800 with the 7D.

I think its accepted that AF on the K3 is better than the K5. How much? How do you define it? It feels faster. But the shot above was my one and only attempt at tracking a bird at speed
Alan

PPG
Flickr

JAK

Link Posted 11/11/2013 - 01:08
I feel the K3 focussing is much improved. Its faster and more reliable. On the K5 I too always used the back button for focussing but on the K3 I don't feel that there is such a need to do that.
On the K5 it sometimes seemed that having got an image in focus, pressing the shutter button again caused a rescan of focus and the shot would be missed. That doesn't seem to happen with the K3, it seems to check the focus first and only scan again if it isn't right. However some lenses such as the DFA100mm macro do occasionally still struggle to find focus first time, but others such as the DA17-70 focus in a heartbeat so need to use the back button.
It is possible to use the back button to focus and keep the shutter button focussing enabled and as it doesn't normally rescan the focus it works well both ways so less shots should be missed.

John K
John K

JAK

Link Posted 11/11/2013 - 01:17
Oddly I took a photo of a Bittern on Saturday with my K-01 but it looks nothing like yours!

John K

truckerathome

Link Posted 11/11/2013 - 01:18
Thanks for the reply. I agree the K5 is a better all round camera overall, its just the focus tracking that is an issue. It would not be so bad if the frame rate held on when set to focus priority but it slows a fair bit obviously trying to keep focus. Switch to FPS -priory then the frame rate comes back, but focus does not keep up. Cant seem to win. At Brands hatch a few weeks ago was in the perfect spot when a rider fell off when I was already focussed on him, I got the first shot sharp and although I followed him without him going out of frame the next 5 shots rattled off were all out of focus. Really frustrating, that is my only gripe with Pentax. I don't really want to jump ship as I have had Pentax cameras since I first bought an Me Super many years ago, hence I asked about the tracking on the K3. Will hope the tracking is better on the K3 and then I can stick with what I know

Martin
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.