Best image settings for K20D?
Posted 06/03/2012 - 18:21 - Helpful Comment
Link
If you shoot RAW images to be processed by Adobe Camera RAW then it doesn't really matter what camera settings are used as the unprocessed image is used for the Adobe conversion.
Regarding JPEG - different settings are needed for different subjects. Do you need to increase/decrease the contrast; similarly colour saturation; or get a black and white image? There isn't one setting fits all answer. What you are doing is using the camera to process the RAW images rather than your computer, so it really all depends on what you want the image to look like. The camera RAW software on your PC may take your camera defaults as its starting point but you can achieve the results of any in camera setting from this file.
John
Regarding JPEG - different settings are needed for different subjects. Do you need to increase/decrease the contrast; similarly colour saturation; or get a black and white image? There isn't one setting fits all answer. What you are doing is using the camera to process the RAW images rather than your computer, so it really all depends on what you want the image to look like. The camera RAW software on your PC may take your camera defaults as its starting point but you can achieve the results of any in camera setting from this file.
John
John K
Posted 06/03/2012 - 18:28
Link
I realise it all depends on the subject but I tend to go my default settings that copy across to Camera RAW, with a few tweaks to lighting and shadows.
So it sounds like the K20D is fine with the factory defaults for general shots if I choose not to use RAW. Once I get the camera I'll play with the settings; I just wondered if there are any image quality tips I might have missed while researching on the K20D.
Cheers,
M.
So it sounds like the K20D is fine with the factory defaults for general shots if I choose not to use RAW. Once I get the camera I'll play with the settings; I just wondered if there are any image quality tips I might have missed while researching on the K20D.
Cheers,
M.
Posted 06/03/2012 - 18:37 - Helpful Comment
Link
Don't forget you get a choice of factory defaults: Bright, Natural etc. If you use a long lens you may want to boost contrast and saturation, but its really best done in RAW where the RAW file is the same whatever the JPEG settings are. Don't forget you can experiment with the settings by developing a RAW file in the camera to decide what you prefer. In the end it is really down to personal preference.
John
John
John K
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


32 posts
14 years
Yorkshire
I currently have the brilliant K10D and when I first got the camera a few years ago I spent sometime researching and testing different image settings. Reviews of the K10D tended to criticise the default settings but I have found best results for general everyday use with:
Image Tone: Bright
Saturation: -1
Sharpness: 0
Contrast: -1
I always shoot in RAW because the onboard JPEG processing is not great (converting to JPEG in Adobe Camera RAW seems to give much better results).
I'm now looking to buy a K20D and thankfully I'm lead to understand that the K20D has a reworked JPEG processing unit with much better results. But what about the default settings for tone, saturation etc? I read on another website that the default setting don't need altering except maybe increasing the sharpness by +1.
What do other K20D owners recommend?
Many thanks for your advice,
M.