Best Flashgun for my new K5

mattprince

Link Posted 12/09/2013 - 20:51
Hi,

I've just bought a Pentax K5 Body and a Tamron 18-200mm Lens. Bought this lens as I wanted an all in one travel lens for a bit and then can buy dedicated lenses as time goes on. What flashgun is best for this camera? One that will be good when its on the camera and also can be fired wireless when I want to experiment?

Regards

Matt

davidstorm

Link Posted 12/09/2013 - 21:21
Depends how you want to use it Matt. Wireless capability is not important as you can buy very good wireless triggers for not much money and you can use these with any flashguns.

My preference is for cheap, powerful manual flashguns, they are very versatile, very controllable and easy to use. I have two Neewer TT560's that cost 25 each - superb kit for the price and much better than my Metz TTL unit. Yongnuo's cost a bit more but are similar and have good reviews from people that use them.

I use mine with Aputure triggers that work reliably up to 120 metres away!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

mattprince

Link Posted 12/09/2013 - 21:36
davidstorm wrote:
Depends how you want to use it Matt. Wireless capability is not important as you can buy very good wireless triggers for not much money and you can use these with any flashguns.

My preference is for cheap, powerful manual flashguns, they are very versatile, very controllable and easy to use. I have two Neewer TT560's that cost 25 each - superb kit for the price and much better than my Metz TTL unit. Yongnuo's cost a bit more but are similar and have good reviews from people that use them.

I use mine with Aputure triggers that work reliably up to 120 metres away!

Regards
David

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to just experiement with it really and possibly eventually buy a brolly and stand and try a bit of portrait flash photography. Would those flashguns you said work ok for that?

Matt

stub

Link Posted 13/09/2013 - 11:04
The Youngnou flash range will do exactly what you require. If you want a TTL flash. I would recommend Pentax own range
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

davidstorm

Link Posted 13/09/2013 - 18:56
Hi Matt, I agree with Stuart above. Either the Neewer or Yongnuo's will do the job just fine and both are good quality units that are better made than my Metz one is and work much better too.

I would recommend either, but the Neewer ones are a bit cheaper as they don't have an LCD display (it's not required really) and they are a lower Guide Number, although still pretty powerful. I have two of these and they perform brilliantly, I don't think you would get anything better for the money. You can buy them on Amazon.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.