Berlin

SteveG

Link Posted 08/11/2013 - 21:51
Had a spare evening in Berlin recently, so tried to take in a few sights. A bit different from anything I've done recently, so it was nice to experiment. Suggestions on what to do better next time are welcome.

The Brandenburg Gate, cliched postcard style.

Potsdamer Platz from near St Mattias Church

Sony Center

McGregNi

Link Posted 08/11/2013 - 21:58
The normal advice for these types of 'city-scapes' is to use the time as the sun is going down, and just after that, so that you get some better natural light in the sky to balance the building lights. This is often a blue, or purple, or orangy even, usually much more attractive than the grey / black you've got.

I like the graphic nature and deep colours of the last one.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 08/11/2013 - 21:58

CMW

Link Posted 09/11/2013 - 08:44
There are so many possibilities in Berlin, the difficulty is in making the selection. Next time you go, if you are again shooting at night, the suggestion of human activity will give you an additional dimension to play with, even if it's only in the coloured streaks of passing car, tram, or train lights. Much of the S-Bahn in the centre runs raised above ground level, so 'lights in the sky' as well as on the ground can be effective. And if you want some of the 'stock' pictures of Berlin, you might experiment with unusual perspectives or angles, which would refresh even such much photographed places as the Brandenburg gate and the Sony Centre.

vielen Glueck!
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
Last Edited by CMW on 09/11/2013 - 08:50

SteveG

Link Posted 10/11/2013 - 20:09
Thanks both for the comments. I would definitely have liked to get out and about a lot earlier in the day, but unfortunately that was not an option on this trip, so the tips on including suggestions of human activity are especially useful.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.