BEHIND THE LENS ​

puma
Posted 20/12/2012 - 23:53 Link
If you where to describe your self like how you feel when you pick up your camera, when you see the shot you want?
When you take that shot? And when you get it right first time? What motivates you to take that photograph?

I know it’s a bit deep but I find I like to hear other people views on photography and I like to hear what they say.
PPG link
AndrewA
Posted 21/12/2012 - 19:49 - Helpful Comment Link
You just someone to admit that it feels as good as, or better than sex don't you!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
puma
Posted 21/12/2012 - 20:12 Link
AndrewA wrote:
You just someone to admit that it feels as good as, or better than sex don't you!
OK YOU GOT ME LOL
PPG link
Stuey
Posted 21/12/2012 - 21:51 Link
I love picking up my cameras and getting a result but sex will always win
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Frogfish
Posted 22/12/2012 - 14:31 Link
AndrewA wrote:
You just someone to admit that it feels as good as, or better than sex don't you!
errrrr that would be a resounding no ! I think you are doing it wrong

Lasts a damn sight longer though !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Pentaxophile
Posted 23/12/2012 - 10:18 Link
At least the camera never has a headache. And there's no 'strings attached'.

.... but the mount doesn’t half chafe! Oof....
Pentaxophile
Posted 23/12/2012 - 10:35 Link
Being serious for a moment, when I see 'that shot' the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I don't know about 'get it right first time' - there's no way I'll take that risk, I'll shoot and shoot.

What motivates me? Seeing what I think will make a great picture. On holiday last month (Lanzarote) I was taking some OK-ish snapshots of a volcanic cone which had some nice light on it. But they weren't special. Shortly after we set off in the car, I saw a scene which I knew would have made a much better photo. There was a family out working a field (of black pulverised lava, with lava drystone walls), on a little ridge with the same volcanic cone looming up behind it, the whole scene lit beautifully. The composition was just there in front of me, for the taking. Unfortunately I kept my mouth shut and we drove back to the hotel without stopping!

I think photography is a bit like hunting or fishing, but instead of a stags head, you bring back something a bit more aesthetic to hang over the metaphorical mantelpiece.
Edited by Pentaxophile: 23/12/2012 - 10:35
davidstorm
Posted 23/12/2012 - 10:48 - Helpful Comment Link
I get excited when I see the right light. It's all about that for me. Yes, the composition of the landscape, the way the trees trace out lines and patterns on the hills, the way they intersect folds in the mountains, the reflections in still water on a lake, the contrast of dark rocks against snow and frost, water rushing and tumbling over rapids and waterfalls all excite me too. But, it's the clouds, lit by a low early morning Winter Sun, the dappled patterns of transient light on the hillside, the contrasting shadows, the dark stormy clouds behind a hill lit by late afternoon sun peeping through a hole in the cloud- these are the things that really wake up my photographic senses and bring me alive.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Charlotte
Posted 23/12/2012 - 12:42 Link
Quote:
If you where to describe your self like how you feel when you pick up your camera, when you see the shot you want?
Hopeful

Quote:
When you take that shot?

Frustrated

Quote:
And when you get it right first time?

I've not yet managed to get it right at all - let alone first time.

Quote:
What motivates you to take that photograph?
The futile belief that I will get it right one day
MrB
Posted 23/12/2012 - 20:09 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:

I think photography is a bit like hunting or fishing, but instead of a stags head, you bring back something a bit more aesthetic to hang over the metaphorical mantelpiece.
People tend to fall asleep when I show them my photos, so presumably mine are anaesthetic.

Philip
cabstar
Posted 23/12/2012 - 20:50 Link
I don't get a thrill out of right first time. I do however get a buzz when I look over the images again at a later date and think wow did I really do that?

Most of my editing is done just before bed and usually late around 2.00am so I am not performing my best, I am usually amazed at my choices given the tiredness involved. I guess initial thoughts are built in no matter what time. That doesn't mean I don't go back for another go with a later different view or perspective.

I always see my best work months after I have taken it. I look back through my Flickr stream or some of the work on the hard drive and think oh that's good. I think it's good to reflect, makes you a better photographer.

When I do see a shot I would like I usually get it within a few clicks, once it's in the bag I can experiment and try out different ideas. When I studied photography at college our tutor was always saying did you try this or that, always push boundaries...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo