Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

begginers flash umbrella & stand

pink
Posted 17/04/2010 - 13:49 Link
I do have a pair if that helps any one

£50.00 the pair plus P&P

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
Pentaxophile
Posted 17/04/2010 - 15:14 Link
bladerunneruk wrote:
Thinking a bit about getting a simple umbrella and stand to do a bit of flash photography - subject = baby (prob sleeping)

Is flash really the best solution? That baby's not going to be sleeping for very long, and will probably grow up with a phobia of flashing lights! I would go with soft window light, maybe try and drape some white sheets or tinfoil to reflect the light back from the other side. You might want fairly wide apertures anyway, most of the nicest shots of babies I have seen have been lovely and soft.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Anvh
Posted 17/04/2010 - 15:29 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
bladerunneruk wrote:
Thinking a bit about getting a simple umbrella and stand to do a bit of flash photography - subject = baby (prob sleeping)

Is flash really the best solution? That baby's not going to be sleeping for very long, and will probably grow up with a phobia of flashing lights! I would go with soft window light, maybe try and drape some white sheets or tinfoil to reflect the light back from the other side. You might want fairly wide apertures anyway, most of the nicest shots of babies I have seen have been lovely and soft.

Same thought, or a little in-fill flash bounced from the ceiling.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Anvh
Posted 17/04/2010 - 15:37 Link
bladerunneruk wrote:
another query is whether the silvered inner will make it more harsh than an white umbrella used as a reflector

NO the silver is there to make the light even over the whole white-sheet and the size of the sheet makes the light soft, harsh light is light from a small light source.
Also for an umbrella, many found a shoot-through more effective than reflective.

Quote:
another query is whether it can be reliably trigger optically - if the flash is inside then unless part of the triggering lightsource comes thru the front of the softbox then it won't work, so have to go wired or radio trigger ??

Radio Trigger will work perfectly

Quote:
another query is accesibility to adjust the flashgun settings, looks like i need to open the front of the softbox each time ? probably make more sense to use the AF540 on umbrella and a simple manual flash with a softbox ?

You can also access the flash through the sleeve on the under side but indeed it's a bit problematic.
There are also other softbox solutions, take a look at Creative Lighting.

The rest is up to you what you want, softbox is more directional soft light and more effective using the flash power than an umbrella.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Anvh
Posted 20/04/2010 - 23:13 Link
I bought a Westcott Apollo softbox so will let you know what I find.

I at least bought it over the Creative light system because of money, more even light and probably it will be more light efficient.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Posted 14/05/2010 - 17:07 Link
Anvh wrote:
I bought a Westcott Apollo softbox so will let you know what I find.

I at least bought it over the Creative light system because of money, more even light and probably it will be more light efficient.

Hi Stefan, just wondering how you are getting on with the apollo softbox, any joy ?

I'm at home recovering from a nasty infection which put me in hospital for a while this week so I've got a bit of time to look into things again and make a decision. Any pro's or con's in your view, can you use it with either flashgun or studio light ?
Edited by bladerunneruk: 14/05/2010 - 17:08
Anvh
Posted 14/05/2010 - 18:05 Link
Oops forgot all about it.

Like you said it's a bit hard to adjust the flash when using the softbox, since you're shooting to the back of it the easiest way is to make a corner of the white-screen lose, it's simply hold together with velcro and easy to secure it back.
Adjusting the flash takes me 3 seconds.

The light coming out from it does seems to be pretty good.
I'll make a photo from it to look how even the light is tonight, I've a birthday very soon so don't have the timenow.

The Westcott Apollo softbox I've use an umbrella stand and is only therfor only usable with a that so no studio flash.
But to be honest when looking at the cost of the creative lighting system, the softbox was more expensive then the westcott and I needed to buy a special bracket as well.
So the cheapest option would be to buy a Westcott and separate softbox for your studio light.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
pink
Posted 14/05/2010 - 18:55 Link
I have a soft box cost me £52.00 and it has the flash sitting out side the soft box 24" and you can buy bigger

I find it a good investment esp for wedding and home shoots

and you can alter the flash and use it (hand held great for wedding)

I will up load a photo of it later as I'm printing images for a customer tonight

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
Anvh
Posted 14/05/2010 - 22:20 Link
@bladerunneruk I got it wrong you can use the Westcot on everything as long as it fits inside and it has an umbrella holder.
There are different types btw. here watch this link

@James do you need to use an adapter with yours?

The Westcott 28" is €159 so £136.
They also had Creative Lighting softbox and that one was €189 (£162) and you need a special holder for that and that cost €139 (£119) so that wasn't interesting any more

This the kind of light it gives and it's recessed so there is less "spill" better to aim so to say.
Comment Image

the S that you see is dirt on my sensor
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 14/05/2010 - 22:49

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.