Bees with a 600mm :)
Posted 26/04/2017 - 12:37
Link
That 2nd one is a cracker, couldnt have timed it better.
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 26/04/2017 - 14:10
Link
Most excellent, I thought 2x TCs weren't meant to be great?
My 300F would like one but no no I must resist.
Great photos Lenny
My 300F would like one but no no I must resist.
Great photos Lenny
"In a photographic context I don't like the use of the word 'shot' as where I live this word refers to an extreme act of violence and not the beautiful craft of photography"
Posted 26/04/2017 - 15:01
Link
Super sharp action captures! Very good job there ..... Now you'll have to share you're secrets .... You must have a special set of focus point array selections and AF-C mode choices up your sleeve .....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 26/04/2017 - 15:32
Link
Impressive shots - I like no 1 best, just to be different. PS Nigel - these were with a manual focus lens so I think the AF-C settings are probably not relevant!
Everything Changes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
Posted 26/04/2017 - 15:47
Link
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 26/04/2017 - 20:44
Link
Doesn't get better than that, converters or not; marvellous photos
Daronl
Posted 26/04/2017 - 21:44
Link
Lovely shots, puts pay to what people say about 2X converters!
Or is it a case of singer not the song!
Or is it a case of singer not the song!
Posted 26/04/2017 - 22:28
Link
Wow!! You can look forward to some great apples!
What was your shutter speed and aperture?
What was your shutter speed and aperture?
Posted 26/04/2017 - 22:52
Link
Thanks for all the comments - they are really appreciated!
There are no secrets, but a few things that I think gave these two shots an edge....
Firstly, the tele-converter is from the same era as the lens and was regarded as very high quality in its day, and although it's not a matched converter as such it is recommended for lenses up to 300mm (the 'L' version is suitable for lenses of 300mm and above).
Secondly, I've moved away from my usual AV mode and I'm now very much into TAV mode. This allows me to ensure I select a shutter speed that's fast enough to freeze the action and also to avoid long lens shake, plus I can set an aperture that gives the right amount of depth of field (for these two shots the speed was 1/640 and the aperture was f6.3 - which might actually be f13, the converter doesn't adjust the values ). The light was so good that I new the ISO wouldn't wander too high.
Thirdly, I mentioned it was a manual focus lens - well the fact it is an A*300/2.8 means it is bright in the viewfinder and the quality is truly superb.
No Rocket Science - although the kit does look a bit like a Rocket Launcher
There are no secrets, but a few things that I think gave these two shots an edge....
Firstly, the tele-converter is from the same era as the lens and was regarded as very high quality in its day, and although it's not a matched converter as such it is recommended for lenses up to 300mm (the 'L' version is suitable for lenses of 300mm and above).
Secondly, I've moved away from my usual AV mode and I'm now very much into TAV mode. This allows me to ensure I select a shutter speed that's fast enough to freeze the action and also to avoid long lens shake, plus I can set an aperture that gives the right amount of depth of field (for these two shots the speed was 1/640 and the aperture was f6.3 - which might actually be f13, the converter doesn't adjust the values ). The light was so good that I new the ISO wouldn't wander too high.
Thirdly, I mentioned it was a manual focus lens - well the fact it is an A*300/2.8 means it is bright in the viewfinder and the quality is truly superb.
No Rocket Science - although the kit does look a bit like a Rocket Launcher
LennyBloke
Posted 26/04/2017 - 23:22
Link
An A * 300mm f2.8
Going away to drool now
Going away to drool now
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 27/04/2017 - 00:04
Link
That particular rear converter doesn't cost the normal arm and a leg. You see them on E Bay for £40 - 50 and, as you can see, they deliver. (I paid £5 for mine).
Another fairly good one is the K T6 - 2X which does not have the through-contacts. Wish I could get a 300* at bargain basement price though
Another fairly good one is the K T6 - 2X which does not have the through-contacts. Wish I could get a 300* at bargain basement price though
Posted 30/04/2017 - 10:15
Link
Fair play, I was in my parents house with their apple tree trying to get a similar shot and found out they move quick, trying to pre-empt which flower they'll land on when there's loads around is difficult and looking through the viewfinder trying to capture them in flight is tricky to say the least!
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


7371 posts
18 years
Worcestershire
Click for more detailed images!